Etro's TrueWoW Themes log

Discussions, suggestions and error reports for the forums and website.
Etro
Honorary Member

Etro's TrueWoW Themes log

#1 » Post by Etro » 19 Apr 2015 05:37

Maybe I should have a topic for this instead of posting about it everywhere :roll:

Hide Quick Reply moved for next TrueWoW Ice Theme update

For mobile browsing purposes* If it is added (yeah, added, it is no longer in phpbb 3.1.x) like it is right now on the website, it would go between the subject and reply inputs. That would be an awkward position, IMO.
Last edited by Etro on 19 Apr 2015 06:28, edited 3 times in total.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Etro
Honorary Member

Re: Etro's TrueWoW Themes log

#2 » Post by Etro » 20 Apr 2015 01:36

TrueWoW Ice theme: Quick-mod tools moved and Topic tools added. These, Display options and Jump to converted to dropdown buttons

For mobile browsing purposes as well. Display options is too wide, and even if the labels were centered when browsing in mobile, it would make the bottom action bar too big with the topic tools, pagination and reply button in there. This will also fix once and for all the problem topics with a lot of pages, like Count to a million and Real Life pictures have of the pagination being too large and being pushed by the display options, messing up the bottom nav bar.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Etro
Honorary Member

#3 » Post by Etro » 20 Apr 2015 20:15

TrueWoW Ice theme: A small fix

Current theme left, my remake right:

Fastor

#4 » Post by Fastor » 20 Apr 2015 21:26

Excuse me, how to remove glow from every single page of this site?

Etro
Honorary Member

#5 » Post by Etro » 20 Apr 2015 21:43

It could be done with Stylish, but you'd have to select every single element that has glow in it.

I'm just remaking the TrueWoW Ice theme for it to work in phpbb 3.1.x and be easily updatable from then on.. I could change some things like remove the glow from elements or everything, but you'd have to talk about it to the staff, since although I did help to design the theme, it is mostly emsy's and he styled it like this and the TrueWoW Ice theme is the official TrueWoW theme.

Fastor

#6 » Post by Fastor » 20 Apr 2015 21:55

l remember creating of this new site style and reason l asked you is because l understood you want not to just update phpBB you want to change theme which in truth, lm not very fond of changing.

lm not planing to make global change that would have impact on everybody (including those who would not like my idea), lm asking just for my pc so nobody else could felt sad because loss of site cosmetics.

Etro
Honorary Member

#7 » Post by Etro » 20 Apr 2015 22:09

Fastor wrote:l remember creating of this new site style and reason l asked you is because l understood you want not to just update phpBB you want to change theme which in truth, lm not very fond of changing.
You understood wrong. I'm not working in the TrueWoW Ice theme remake because I wanted to, but because I was asked for help. I loathe this theme, I didn't want it to release like this in the first place and if it were my decision only, I would remove it from the site completely and use my real theme instead. But it is not, and I'm happy with that now that we can choose from other themes (we would have more if I wasn't the only one interested in making them).

The changes I've been doing to the theme are only for mobile browsing purposes and I've been explicit about that. I've asked many times if these changes are ok and I've been told yes. I haven't done and will not do any styling changes to anything in the theme unless it is new (that come in phpbb 3.1.x) or modified elements to fit in the website when browsing in mobile (like having a dropdown button uses a lot less space than having labels and selectables in even 2 lines).
Fastor wrote:lm not planing to make global change that would have impact on everybody (including those who would not like my idea), lm asking just for my pc so nobody else could felt sad because loss of site cosmetics.
I told you it can be done with Stylish (an extension available for Chrome and Firefox). You'd have to select with css selectors (.headerbar for example, you can find them with inspect element function in all browsers) the elements that have glow and put inside them "box-shadow:none!important;" without quotes.

Example:
css code
.headerbar .inner {
    box-shadow: none!important;
}
That put in Stylish would remove the glow in the headerbar.

Karter
Donor

#8 » Post by Karter » 20 Apr 2015 23:38

The glow effect on the user avatar when you want to go to your settings has a very short delay before it starts to glow instead of glowing as soon as I hover over the avatar, and it bothers my ocd, makes it cringy (i have issues), think you could remove the delay or make it shorter?

(maybe I'm the only one who notices it, idk)
Samsung
Karter @Truewow - Private
Rotmaw @Karazhan - Retail
Foohy @Karazhan - Retail

Etro
Honorary Member

#9 » Post by Etro » 21 Apr 2015 00:01

xD Yeah, that's the transition property in the element.

You can install Stylish for your browser (Chrome or Firefox), create a style and add in it:
css code
.headerbar .inner .messages > a {
    transition: none!important;
}
That will remove the delay.

Etro
Honorary Member

#10 » Post by Etro » 22 Apr 2015 20:27

So I finally learnt about PNG image compression (not the tools, they do a lousy job with maintaining gradients quality) and I managed to compress, for example, the post background image of the Etrobian Default theme that weighs a huge amount of 463KB (almost half 1 MB D:) to 35KB. 13 times less than than the original and almost half the weight of the TrueWoW Ice theme bad quality post background, without any noticeable loss in quality. Here it goes for way faster loading times =D

Fastor

#11 » Post by Fastor » 22 Apr 2015 21:34

Well that one is good news.

Etro
Honorary Member

#12 » Post by Etro » 23 Apr 2015 04:12

So I finished compressing all the images that could be compressed from my theme as much as possible without risking noticeable quality loss and these are the results:

post background: 463 KB > 39 KB
post background staff: 626 KB > 68 KB
headerbar background: 43 KB > 12 KB
Texture background (navbar, panels, etc): 93KB > 14 KB
quick reply background, not opened:18 KB > 3 KB
quick reply background, opened: 22 KB > 4 KB

Overall compression: 1125KB. Over 1 MB in loading savings.

Fastor

#13 » Post by Fastor » 24 Apr 2015 11:46

Just tried that code you post and it removed all but glove.

Etro
Honorary Member

#14 » Post by Etro » 24 Apr 2015 20:39

Different elements inside the headerbar.
css code
.headerbar .inner, .panel, .messages a, .submenu, .menu li a, .menu li span, .button2 {
  box-shadow:none!important;
  text-shadow:none!important;
}
That will remove every glow of the website that I could think of.
css code
.avatar {
  box-shadow:none!important;
}
That will also remove the glow (and shadows) from avatars. Beware that you will no longer be able to rely on the avatar's glow to identify someone's rank.
css code
.headerbar .inner, .panel, .submenu {
  border:1px solid #003F4E!important;
}
That, if you want, will add a dim solid border to the elements that used glow as a border.
Last edited by Etro on 25 Apr 2015 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Fastor

#15 » Post by Fastor » 25 Apr 2015 00:49

Wanted to post question why doesnt it work, then l understood l forgot to turn it in...
But now its awesome!

Edit, just saw glow around avatar is not removed. Any solution?