Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

Discussions, suggestions and error reports for the forums and website.
emsy
Former Staff

Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

#1 » Post by emsy » 01 Aug 2013 00:30

Hello everyone!
There are great and exciting news coming regarding the website, forums and all related. Our goal is to make it easy to use, offer numerous tools and be pleasant to look at. That's exactly where you, players, come into play. We're announcing a
Contest for new website and forum design
What does it mean?
Basically, we need to find a really nice PHPBB (forum) skin. Googling "phpbb skin" may give u a lot of results. Then, we'll pick one of the most popular skins either based on player voting or staff decision.

I'm still confused
Old website of Gaming Consortium was using exactly the same system, where main page, forum and armory (and other tools) shared the same unified design, which made things much less confusing, more tightened up together and simple template made it load much faster.

How do i post a suggestion?
Leave a link or a preview picture in this thread. Others feel free to vouch for your favourite skin. Afterall, the forum is for you to use, so the nicer skin you choose, the better for you!

Cool, what do i get?
Well first off, your eyes will stop bleeding. 2nd, player(s) suggesting the nicest skin will receive a honorable reward in form of webpoints!

What's next?
Next stage will be to find a person skilled in photoshop and with artistic feeling to create banners, icons, menus, layout and other things for website that will be in tone with the new phpbb skin.

Looking forward your tastes :P

Crysicle
Honorary Member

Re: Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

#2 » Post by Crysicle » 01 Aug 2013 00:45

Is the truewow/GC forum design still a valid suggestion? Truewow's still seems very good for me even after a long time and if we were going to change it, the GC forum design seems like something i'd sure want to be implemented.
Movies you might not have seen:
Magnolia                                 Mr. Nobody                               Hunger
The Fountain                          Das Experiment                        The Man from Nowhere
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil        Die Welle                                   World's Greatest Dad
Brick                                      Das Leben der Anderen           IP Man
Remember Me                       We Need to Talk About Kevin   Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring
Felon                                     Babel                                         Dog Pound

perka

#3 » Post by perka » 01 Aug 2013 01:00

Having exact same skin i doubt people would like. Original blizz skin TW is currently using is too slow and awful if u ask me, while some ppl may not like how clean and simple GC is. Would be nice if any of you to post what u like from each or would like to have so contest participants can get better idea.

Main goal is to have something clean and simple, fast to load and not hurting your eyes.

Shaeligator

#4 » Post by Shaeligator » 01 Aug 2013 01:22

Ooooo! MEEEEE!

Prepare to have your face melted if I can bothered some time in the near future! ^.^

Intervention
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Intervention » 01 Aug 2013 03:17

Changed to global announcement.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Etro
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Etro » 01 Aug 2013 04:14

Nice!

The skin we suggest must be WoW themed or are you looking for just a layout?
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

emsy
Former Staff

#7 » Post by emsy » 01 Aug 2013 06:10

Etro wrote:Nice!

The skin we suggest must be WoW themed or are you looking for just a layout?
Preferably non-wow themed. All wow textures and logos are copyrighted by blizzard, so we'd rather not use those. (that also includes these stupid "Blizz" icons at staff names.. we're not blizz staff, we're TW staff!)
Crysicle wrote:Is the truewow/GC forum design still a valid suggestion? Truewow's still seems very good for me even after a long time and if we were going to change it, the GC forum design seems like something i'd sure want to be implemented.
yes that rly isn't a valid suggestion. I also don't see how can u have both at the same time?

Etro
Honorary Member

#8 » Post by Etro » 01 Aug 2013 06:17

Are you looking to modify a pre-existing skin or can we go nuts creative and make our own concepts in images for then you guys to recreate it?
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

chickenbutt
Donor

#9 » Post by chickenbutt » 01 Aug 2013 09:18

Aw, man. This is where'd I'd complain, but I'm way too happy about the class/instance bug reports subforums, so I'm not gonna bother. Do whatever the hell you want! I'm just glad there's a lot (and I mean a lot) more staff-to-player interaction now. =)
:=) My Mini Enhancement Shaman PvE Guide

https://soundcloud.com/open_minded_97/fullat - a punk song I wrote and produced with a friend from music community college in 2019

emsy
Former Staff

#10 » Post by emsy » 01 Aug 2013 09:23

Etro wrote:Are you looking to modify a pre-existing skin or can we go nuts creative and make our own concepts in images for then you guys to recreate it?
Can be both, but the latter will take us more time to implement i guess :)
chickenbutt wrote:Aw, man. This is where'd I'd complain, but I'm way too happy about the class/instance bug reports subforums, so I'm not gonna bother. Do whatever the hell you want! I'm just glad there's a lot (and I mean a lot) more staff-to-player interaction now. =)
This has absolutely nothing to do with forum structure or staff-to-player ratio lol ... it's just about the design

chickenbutt
Donor

#11 » Post by chickenbutt » 01 Aug 2013 10:54

Yeah, I know. What I meant was I really like the aesthetics of the current TW forums and site, I've become accustomed to it over the years and I think it looks good. Though with the changes to the forum I could care less what it looks like, lol. That's all I was saying. Anyway this is sort of off-topic so I'll just end with saying I have absolutely no artistic skill whatsoever except in music so GL, lol.
:=) My Mini Enhancement Shaman PvE Guide

https://soundcloud.com/open_minded_97/fullat - a punk song I wrote and produced with a friend from music community college in 2019

Etro
Honorary Member

#12 » Post by Etro » 01 Aug 2013 12:16

Ok, i guess i've got mine: http://demo.rockettheme.com/phpbb3/index.php?style=97

I like it because it is simple, elegant, colorful, and it is very spaced. Everything is easy to spot. Specially if we get to use that right side bar. That bar should be there at all times while checking out the forums, the armoury, or the website. There should go all the links ot the tools, etc.

The following is the shadow of my idea of how the forums could look like with this skin. The colours and artwork are abstract and few because we are on the stage 1 of this contest. I'd work more on them if this skin wins this stage or if i think that the winner skin is compatible with what i have in mind:

Once upon a time there was a horrible design here. Not anymore, though.

The right side bar doesn't show any important links because in my idea the links would appear once the user has logged in. The "Login" box would then turn into the user's box with all the account and character tools that the server has.

And, that's it :oops:
Last edited by Etro on 18 Dec 2013 17:58, edited 2 times in total.

Drago

#13 » Post by Drago » 01 Aug 2013 12:22

I like it Etro :o.
What you visualize is what you create around you.
When you visualize something good or bad you will always get it! So better visualize what you really want :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drago - Retribution/Protection Paladin [Main]
Shiftylegs - Restoration/Ballance Druid
Aquanova - Arcane/Fire Mage
Strongtail - Frost/Unholy DK
ImageImage

mhorth

#14 » Post by mhorth » 02 Aug 2013 01:37

I really like that too, I think some of the text could be a little sharper, looks a bit fuzzy and blurred to me, but I agree the layout and organization is awesome!

emsy
Former Staff

#15 » Post by emsy » 03 Aug 2013 15:23

Etro wrote:Ok, i guess i've got mine: http://demo.rockettheme.com/phpbb3/index.php?style=97
very nice and clean, tho it reminds me of win8 way too much D: