Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

Discussions, suggestions and error reports for the forums and website.
Den_Eds

Re: Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

#286 » Post by Den_Eds » 20 Dec 2013 16:05

Hellow,

It looks like a lot of people can't log in to the new website anymore, they get a message that their username is wrong.

I also have the boy's playing here on a laptop and they have the same problem, I did not have any problems with my log-in.

A hear in the game that a lot of people have the same problem, could any one please have a look on this ?

Many thanks in advance !

EDIT : It's OK, found out what's wrong, you need to have a account on the forum and then it all works fine !
Last edited by Den_Eds on 20 Dec 2013 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Myaoming
Former Staff

#287 » Post by Myaoming » 20 Dec 2013 16:13

With the new website, you'll need to log your forum account instead, and link your in-game accounts to it via http://www.truewow.org/account-manager.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Den_Eds

#288 » Post by Den_Eds » 20 Dec 2013 16:45

Yes thank you very much, It's working. I have told the people in game also what to do.

A big and I mean very big improvement !! Great work guy's !

emsy
Former Staff

#289 » Post by emsy » 20 Dec 2013 18:59

Etro wrote:...
yes i see that and have it open specially in a separate tab... i was just fixing the most urgent things like donations and voting before jumping into this... so lemme just write into the text instead of quoting every line:

- The avatar size should be fixed to 113x113 px. -- not a good idea to force size on people. Some have bigger avatars, some have smaller, some have even non-square avatars! currently it's set between 20x20 and 100x100, the design adjusts accordingly (glow and centering and stuff)

- instead of using a white glow on users without a special rank use only a border colour #2f5b67 -- removed the glow, but kept the border. with blue border there's too much blue (there already is too much blue)

- The font of the title of each post ("Re: Website makeover [ stage #1 ]") should be 14 px. -- it is (rich click - inspect element)

- I don't understand why the location of each user is below their avatar. -- where else is it supposed to be?

- The special rank glow should be a bit larger and a bit more intense, if that is possible. -- atm it's 20px wide gradient with 3px "outset" ( = starts 3px from the avatar edge), so total glow size is 23px to each side. If you have chrome, ff with firebug or opera, u can fiddle with these values on yoru side with right click -> inspect element, so when u find the best looking values let me know

- The forum nav bar ("TrueWoW > Board Index ... ") should have 34 px of height, its font size 14 px, and each link separated by 10 px. - font size should not be bigger then the main content font size since breadcrumbs are not more important than the content. Current height is 29px, which is ok for the font size used. Added bigger padding inbetween

- The signature and post title separation lines should be aligned with the post's content to their left. -- fixed, also aligned signature

- The signature separation line should be #424a4b -- why? everything else is #003f4e

- No rank coloured text, yet. -- it makes the mental assignment of rank to name much easier

- The distance between the beggining of the post box and the avatar should be of 32 px and the beggining of the avatar should be at the same height of the post title separation line (not counting the rank glow, ofc). -- moved it 1px down, now it's aligned

- The distance between the end of the content of the post and the end of the post box should be of 20 px. -- increased bottom padding of bost box by 10px

- The height of each post box should be of 257 px minimum. -- increased from 200 to 250px

- The "Who is Online" section doesn't need to be everywhere in the forums. Just let it be in the Index. -- it's useful even within the topic

- Remove the bar of the end panel ("Board index Subscribe topic Bookmark topic"). Remove their icons and remove "• All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]". Align all the links at the center and put "Last visit was: 20 Dec 2013 02:03" to their right. -- contains useful information, wont' be removed. I'll just change the left side links a little. Bookmark is useless and board index too. Subscription is useful and will add "current time" or something, i'll see what my options are

- The size of the images that can be posted has no maximum limit. -- added limit of 1920px and at the same time, whichever image is bigger than 800px, it's resized to 800px after load and made a link to the original image

- The content of the post limit should be the same as the signature's separation line (width: 721 px). It looks way cleaner that way, IMO. --- hmm?

- I don't see a "mark forums read" anywhere. I hope that is because you're still working on making the forums look like i designed it, though. -- added that to the top "Forum" menu, explained that in another post

Reference: http://imageshack.com/a/img440/7354/ttey.png

Fastor

#290 » Post by Fastor » 20 Dec 2013 19:20

I forgot to ask for one thing about topics on forum. Add button "ignore new posts" on each topic so they do not pop up in "View new posts". Some topics are really not interested.

emsy
Former Staff

#291 » Post by emsy » 20 Dec 2013 19:37

Fastor wrote:I forgot to ask for one thing about topics on forum. Add button "ignore new posts" on each topic so they do not pop up in "View new posts". Some topics are really not interested.
can't find this functionality in PHPBB

Etro
Honorary Member

#292 » Post by Etro » 20 Dec 2013 20:01

- The avatar size should be fixed to 113x113 px. -- not a good idea to force size on people. Some have bigger avatars, some have smaller, some have even non-square avatars! currently it's set between 20x20 and 100x100, the design adjusts accordingly (glow and centering and stuff)
People need to modify their avatars anyway. It just looks bad seeing different avatar sizes.
- instead of using a white glow on users without a special rank use only a border colour #2f5b67 -- removed the glow, but kept the border. with blue border there's too much blue (there already is too much blue)
Too much blue in a WotLK theme is to be expected. At least change it for some grey because white is too eye popping.
- The font of the title of each post ("Re: Website makeover [ stage #1 ]") should be 14 px. -- it is (rich click - inspect element)
?? Weird. Photoshop tells me it is 14px. Well, then change it to 12px.
- I don't understand why the location of each user is below their avatar. -- where else is it supposed to be?
Only in their profile.
- The special rank glow should be a bit larger and a bit more intense, if that is possible. -- atm it's 20px wide gradient with 3px "outset" ( = starts 3px from the avatar edge), so total glow size is 23px to each side. If you have chrome, ff with firebug or opera, u can fiddle with these values on yoru side with right click -> inspect element, so when u find the best looking values let me know
30px 6px
- The forum nav bar ("TrueWoW > Board Index ... ") should have 34 px of height, its font size 14 px, and each link separated by 10 px. - font size should not be bigger then the main content font size since breadcrumbs are not more important than the content. Current height is 29px, which is ok for the font size used. Added bigger padding inbetween
Yeah, the resolution display of the PS i have might need some tweaking, although i see everything webpage size at 100%.
The font size i'm looking for 11px and 29px is the perfect height, yes, but when inspecting the element it says 25px.
- The signature separation line should be #424a4b -- why? everything else is #003f4e
Not really necessary, but i think it would be better if there were a distinction between those separation lines. The signature line is not always there but the post title's is.
- No rank coloured text, yet. -- it makes the mental assignment of rank to name much easier
Can you rephrase, please. I didn't really understand that.
- The "Who is Online" section doesn't need to be everywhere in the forums. Just let it be in the Index. -- it's useful even within the topic
How is it useful? It doesn't refresh automatically.
- Remove the bar of the end panel ("Board index Subscribe topic Bookmark topic"). Remove their icons and remove "• All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]". Align all the links at the center and put "Last visit was: 20 Dec 2013 02:03" to their right. -- contains useful information, wont' be removed. I'll just change the left side links a little. Bookmark is useless and board index too. Subscription is useful and will add "current time" or something, i'll see what my options are
Yes, there's useful information there. I meant the bar, bar rectangle. We already have the forum nav panel with a bar. Also, i don't understand the utility of "All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]". We already have the server time a the top-left of the main nav bar.
- The content of the post limit should be the same as the signature's separation line (width: 721 px). It looks way cleaner that way, IMO. --- hmm?
English defeated me right there. I mean the right end of the post box and the content of it should be more separated. I think 10px 30px 10px 0px looks good. Of course, the signature's width should match too.
- I don't see a "mark forums read" anywhere. I hope that is because you're still working on making the forums look like i designed it, though. -- added that to the top "Forum" menu, explained that in another post
Not very intuitive, though.

A few more suggestions:

- "Page X of X" next to the page buttons is a redundancy.
- Separate the page buttons from the reply button a little bit.
- The part where the topic title, page and reply buttons are should have a little bit more of hight, it looks a bit too tight in there. 40px is enough, IMO. Also, a border should definetely be there. Plain transparency makes the forum nav bar look like if it were floating.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

emsy
Former Staff

#293 » Post by emsy » 20 Dec 2013 20:59

Etro wrote:
People need to modify their avatars anyway. It just looks bad seeing different avatar sizes.
that's just lol, no comment
Etro wrote:
Too much blue in a WotLK theme is to be expected. At least change it for some grey because white is too eye popping.
it's #cccccc - light grey
Etro wrote:
Only in their profile.
Maybe u'r trying to strip it down way too much? I planned to add a link to an in-game char there as well as a guild
Etro wrote:
30px 6px
I think that's too much now, reaching the user's name as well, something like 25 5 should be ok
Etro wrote:
Yeah, the resolution display of the PS i have might need some tweaking, although i see everything webpage size at 100%.
The font size i'm looking for 11px and 29px is the perfect height, yes, but when inspecting the element it says 25px.
You have to add padding which is 2px on top and bottom
Etro wrote:
Can you rephrase, please. I didn't really understand that.
Having colors on usernames helps u to segment the thread easier, instead of seeing it as a 1 huge block. It also helps u associate the names with the colors - ranks much easier in your subconsciousness, so that you remember who was the one posting it, or at least, what was his rank when u try to recall it in future.
Etro wrote:
Yes, there's useful information there. I meant the bar, bar rectangle. We already have the forum nav panel with a bar. Also, i don't understand the utility of "All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]". We already have the server time a the top-left of the main nav bar.
You can set your own timezone for the whole forum and have local time, while the "server time" on top is always server time. Removed the rectangle but it looks chaotic
Etro wrote:
English defeated me right there. I mean the right end of the post box and the content of it should be more separated. I think 10px 30px 10px 0px looks good. Of course, the signature's width should match too.
changed to 20px like it's at the bottom
Etro wrote:
Not very intuitive, though.
Where to put it then?
Etro wrote:- "Page X of X" next to the page buttons is a redundancy.
tried clicking on it?
Etro wrote:- Separate the page buttons from the reply button a little bit.
added 5px
Etro wrote:- The part where the topic title, page and reply buttons are should have a little bit more of hight, it looks a bit too tight in there. 40px is enough, IMO. Also, a border should definetely be there. Plain transparency makes the forum nav bar look like if it were floating.
I'm not putting there the borders on purpose, i explained it before. The topic content (posts) should be visually separated from the top and bottom. If you link them together with the borders it'll be just one big block. This way it's easier to find the content start.
Current height of the block u described is around 43px.

Etro
Honorary Member

#294 » Post by Etro » 20 Dec 2013 21:11

No more suggestions then.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

comnet

#295 » Post by comnet » 26 Dec 2013 15:14

Liking the new design much better than the old one for sure,but i got a problem,not sure if even related to this topic,but after linking some accounts (via account manager),one says "E-mail: No email set!"
But for the life of me i can't find where to set ingame account specific e-mail.

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#296 » Post by Kindzadza » 26 Dec 2013 15:37

Send me a private message containing the account name and the e-mail address.

emsy
Former Staff

#297 » Post by emsy » 26 Dec 2013 20:02

comnet wrote:Liking the new design much better than the old one for sure,but i got a problem,not sure if even related to this topic,but after linking some accounts (via account manager),one says "E-mail: No email set!"
But for the life of me i can't find where to set ingame account specific e-mail.
We will be adding this option a bit later on when most of the active accounts are properly linked to their owners

Relina

#298 » Post by Relina » 26 Dec 2013 23:57

Could u please look into making all accounts get linked to same email address too :)

& maybe the changing of forum names.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

emsy
Former Staff

#299 » Post by emsy » 27 Dec 2013 02:25

Relina wrote:Could u please look into making all accounts get linked to same email address too :)

& maybe the changing of forum names.
That's a no. Each account needs to have an unique e-mail address for password recovery (which will be added soon enough)

emsy
Former Staff

#300 » Post by emsy » 21 Jan 2014 11:08

Since stage 1 is long behind us, i'm locking this and all website related announcements will be posted in http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11476 or another new "changelog" topic for website.