Armory Updates, Suggestions and Issues

All you need to know about the happenings of TrueWoW can be found here.
Nuko
Former Staff

Armory Updates, Suggestions and Issues

#1 » Post by Nuko » 18 Apr 2013 19:38

Hello everyone,

This has been kept rather "low-key" for a while, but I have been working on a new armoury for the server.

It's taken a bit longer than it would have because my attention was required on other things rather unexpectedly for quite a while and so it was done in short concentrated bursts of coding.

But now, I can announce that it has reached a point where user testing and feedback would be most useful to me. At the moment: Characters (including achievements, talents etc), Guilds (roster, guild vault and basic statistics, although the filter hasn't been coded yet) and Items are pretty much complete. Arena teams are there in a basic form, currently only allowing you to see the "Team Profile" and the arena ladders are coming some time later today. Also coming later will be a feedback button to report bugs and possible improvements in what's currently there.

Also, if you have a comment more about the visual look of it, then I would like to hear that too, but I shan't be working on those ideas until after the "guts" of the system are in place, that is not until it actually works fully first :P

For people who use the current armoury's xml feeds, an equivalent JSON feed will be available on this one by the time it's finished.

You can get to it at: http://www.truewow.org/beta/armory

So yes, beta begins! Go take a gander and tell me what you think! :)

Thank you,

Will (Nuko)
Nuko - In the event of malfunction, please insert tea.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Nuko
Former Staff

Re: Beta Armoury.

#2 » Post by Nuko » 18 Apr 2013 19:53

Oh, a word of advice: I have tested this in the following browsers:
  • Chromium / Chrome v25.0.1364.160
  • Firefox v20.0
It would be a correct observation to make that I have not tested it in Internet Explorer and I dread to think how it would probably be horrifically mutilated if viewed through it. I have heard that the newer version(s) are more w3c standards compliant, but I don't think still that it is enough yet.

So if you view it in Internet Explorer, please keep in mind that something might not look right, or not work correctly because of the horrifyingly rubbish browser you are choosing to use. Thank you. :)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Drago

#3 » Post by Drago » 18 Apr 2013 23:47

First of all, AWESOME job! Secondly, you can see the character at last and search for them much more freely (not typing a specific name or specific upper case/lowercase letters, that's just incredible :D).
Some bugs:
1) In Chrome you can't see Expertise at all, as well as hit rating on several characters ( I can see it on mine but not on some other chars)
2) In Chrome you can't click on "Summary" in the achievements page, and also you can't click on the achievements, so that makes you unable to see the criteria of them (that's pretty important for achievements).
3) Some images in Chrome in the achievements section are a broken thumbnail, while most of them work.
4) The sections of "Fall of the Lich King" on 25 and 10 player mode have the text overlapping.
5) Feat's of Strength shouldn't be shown as "in progress" in that section... Especially the Realm Firsts, lol. But that's not a necessary process of changing.
6) Titles. Some are working perfectly, for example as seen on a player with the Argent Champion title. "XXXXX The Argent Champion", some are bugged, mine for example (The Diplomat) looks like The Diplomat Drago, and I sense more titles are like that too...
7) PvE Section has just titles of the raids, and classic has no raid names, while it should also include dungeons done in every expansion (that's how it is in the game in the statistics at least, it says how many times have you killed the last boss of the dungeon).

That's it meanwhile, if I see anything else I will report. Overall it looks very good (except some of the designing, for example the front page, and some other thing, buttons, text too because it uses standard colors)
Last edited by Drago on 19 Apr 2013 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
What you visualize is what you create around you.
When you visualize something good or bad you will always get it! So better visualize what you really want :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drago - Retribution/Protection Paladin [Main]
Shiftylegs - Restoration/Ballance Druid
Aquanova - Arcane/Fire Mage
Strongtail - Frost/Unholy DK
ImageImage

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Kindzadza » 19 Apr 2013 00:00

Can you link the items that belong to a set? I was browsing my character and even though I have 4 pieces of my set equipped,it doesn't show like in our current armory.

Martynas

#5 » Post by Martynas » 19 Apr 2013 00:06

Reputation is wrong. It shows revered with alliance cities instead of exalted.

Etro
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Etro » 19 Apr 2013 00:07

Neat =D I would love to help with the visual design after the "guts" are stable :3
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Drago

#7 » Post by Drago » 19 Apr 2013 00:10

Martynas wrote:Reputation is wrong. It shows revered with alliance cities instead of exalted.
Can confirm with horde cities too, Undercity and SM shown as revered while at exalted.
When you visualize something good or bad you will always get it! So better visualize what you really want :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageImage

Nuko
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Nuko » 19 Apr 2013 02:47

Ah nice, I am glad you like it so far :) and am terribly pleased to have some people actually testing it for real rather than just me in my rather artificial tests.

The icons on the armoury, currently it gets them from WoWhead, I think the missing icons are because they've been removed since cataclysm/mists, and so a new source of icons will need to be found. I hesitate to use the ones from the original armoury because they have a border around them, but with a bit of CSS magic I should be able to "cut" those off.

The reputation was something I wanted testing, because the raw numbers it gives don't always seem to follow a standard convention as for which number is the cutoff point for each faction.

Item sets are a feature that is still "in the works" (basically means I forgot about that ;) )

And the summary link did work but I changed a few things around and it seems I inadvertently... well buggered it up XD

The titles, is something very, very wrong with the armoury database, it has a field called "place" which either has a value of "suffix" or "prefix" corresponding to where the title is supposed to be in relation to the name. It seems that for a lot of them, whoever populated the table put "prefix" irrespective of where they were supposed to go.

The overlapping text is interesting... I can't seem to reproduce it, I'll keep at that one to see if I can get it to.

The "in progress" achievements on the feats of strength should be simple to fix.

The PvE section is quite incomplete at the moment. I was going to put in the classic raids, but then I fell asleep, so that will come soon enough.

I find it very interesting that you could see expertise on one of you characters because I haven't coded that stat at all yet XD

I admit, I'm not much of an artist. I usually program programs to analyse scientific data and control robotics. I tried to give it an ok-ish feel, so that it's not too "cheap" but still allows me to focus on the technical side.

I would ask though that if anyone wants to supply some design ideas, that they keep the use of images to a minimum, as I know we have a lot of people on this server with very limited connections and also one of the reasons the old armoury is so slow is because of its preposterous use of images where it really need not. Although the main reason is that its code is incredibly fragmented.

Oh and the achievement criteria, like the item sets is "in the works" :P

I will keep you posted with when I sort these out. Thank you again, lovely to see people interested and I am absolutely delighted to hear you like it so far.

Intervention
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Intervention » 19 Apr 2013 03:26

Looks awesome so far, only thing i noticed quickly looking is the picture of my character doesn't load and of course reputation for my home cities needs tweaking.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Heihachi
Developer

#10 » Post by Heihachi » 19 Apr 2013 03:32

still needs cookies lol :P

Drago

#11 » Post by Drago » 19 Apr 2013 06:49

Drago wrote: 1) In Chrome you can't see Expertise at all, as well as hit rating on several characters ( I can see HIT RATING it on mine but not on some other chars)
ImageImage

Philippe

#12 » Post by Philippe » 19 Apr 2013 11:59

Nice work. I'm sure many players will appreciate the effort.

Off the topic - I think you (The Staff) should post this news on Facebook and Twitter profile...

Again, good job wawood!

belendor

#13 » Post by belendor » 19 Apr 2013 14:00

much better then the old armory
Belendor lvl 80 prot/holy paladin - The original

No need to mention the other paladins.

Best word in west flemish 'toetoet'

Divovski

#14 » Post by Divovski » 19 Apr 2013 14:00

Libram stats not working ( Wrathful Gladiator's Libram of Justice - Equip: Increases spell power of Flash of Light by 0)

Nazz
Donor

#15 » Post by Nazz » 19 Apr 2013 14:59

Awesome job people, overall much better than previous one. Just change the ultra gay purple background, that's about it. :D