Blackwing Lair patch

All you need to know about the happenings of TrueWoW can be found here.
Roel
Founder

Blackwing Lair patch

#1 » Post by Roel » 30 Nov 2015 18:19

Update 6 January: The following bosses have been added: Firemaw, Ebonroc, Flamegor and Chromaggus.

With the 2 December update we are opening the doors to Blackwing Lair. As suggested and discussed by several players, we will release this raid in several stages. The first 3 bosses will be available from the first day and the others will be made available during the next months. This doesn't only provide a more continuous stream of new content but also makes it easier for us to deal with certain problems that could occur after the release. My apologies for not announcing this part any sooner.

Since this automatically makes sure that the entire raid doesn't get cleared in the first week, bosses don't need to be buffed as much. The damage buff will no longer be used and has been removed from the other raids. HP of bosses in those raids has also been reduced with the main focus remaining on mana cost for healers, which has been found the best buffing method on top of the default buffs. This essentially makes it possible to do Onyxia and Zul'Gurub with less geared groups. Naturally Blackwing Lair will be more heavily buffed until guilds can no longer progress or we're closer to releasing the next raid.

Of course there is also a bunch of extra content outside of this raid.
- Twilight Trappings now drop for the different summonings in Silithus (Abyssal Council).
- Dungeon Set 2 is now completely available
- Darkmoon Cards now drop around the world and can be combined to get a trinket at Darkmoon Faire.
- A full list of extra quests/items
- Foror's Compendium of Dragon Slaying quest chain implemented (you will need to delete the "Cache" folder in your WoW directory while there's no WoW clients running to be able to accept the quest from the item)

Bigntasty275

Re: Blackwing Lair patch

#2 » Post by Bigntasty275 » 01 Dec 2015 01:53

Not to sound like a noob, but this is my first time playing on a private server and i haven't played retail in about 6 years. Will the patch be like how the retail wow ones were where it took it several hours, or does the content just become available? I guess best questions are:
How long will server be offline for?
How big is file for patch (want to estimate my download time)

Glonz

#3 » Post by Glonz » 01 Dec 2015 01:58

You don't have to download any sort of patch file, the server just gets shut down for about 10 minutes (depends) and comes back on, and there's your new content

Bigntasty275

#4 » Post by Bigntasty275 » 01 Dec 2015 02:03

Right on!

Thanks!

Quietly

#5 » Post by Quietly » 01 Dec 2015 12:00

Thanks for your continued work on content for the server!

Dunkelstein

#6 » Post by Dunkelstein » 01 Dec 2015 16:09

Nice work!

Will the Zul'Gurub set shoulders stay disabled or was that just a bug?
What about the exalted set necklaces?
Aka Funkelstein

Roel
Founder

#7 » Post by Roel » 01 Dec 2015 16:14

Dunkelstein wrote:Nice work!

They should be in the enabled list for the link I gave: http://www.primalwow.org/forum/viewtopi ... 47#p183092

Dunkelstein

#8 » Post by Dunkelstein » 01 Dec 2015 17:49

Prime wrote:
Dunkelstein wrote:Nice work!

They should be in the enabled list for the link I gave: http://www.primalwow.org/forum/viewtopi ... 47#p183092
My bad, I must have somehow missed the shoulders :o .
As for the necklace however, the quests in the enabled list are not for the epic set pieces but for the revered rare necklaces.
I.e. https://wotlk-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?quest=8147 instead of https://wotlk-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?quest=8148
Aka Funkelstein

Roel
Founder

#9 » Post by Roel » 01 Dec 2015 18:11

Dunkelstein wrote:As for the necklace however, the quests in the enabled list are not for the epic set pieces but for the revered rare necklaces.
I.e. https://wotlk-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?quest=8147 instead of https://wotlk-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?quest=8148
The epic quests were already enabled, it's just that you need the revered one first...

Dunkelstein

#10 » Post by Dunkelstein » 01 Dec 2015 21:23

I will never doubt you again Prime! Thanks ^.^
Aka Funkelstein

Glonz

#11 » Post by Glonz » 01 Dec 2015 22:32

Since we had official ETA on raid releases, what will be the dates of AQ and Naxx40 releasing? Any release date planned yet?

Roel
Founder

#12 » Post by Roel » 01 Dec 2015 22:54

Glonz wrote:Since we had official ETA on raid releases, what will be the dates of AQ and Naxx40 releasing? Any release date planned yet?
After all BWL bosses are available I was thinking about releasing the Emerald dragons in 3 months (March) and then release AQ20 separately to fill the gap through April-May. Around the 1 year mark in June AQ40 would be appropriate for our original timeline and get us through the summer holidays.

Glonz

#13 » Post by Glonz » 01 Dec 2015 23:11

Prime wrote:
Glonz wrote:Since we had official ETA on raid releases, what will be the dates of AQ and Naxx40 releasing? Any release date planned yet?
After all BWL bosses are available I was thinking about releasing the Emerald dragons in 3 months (March) and then release AQ20 separately to fill the gap through April-May. Around the 1 year mark in June AQ40 would be appropriate for our original timeline and get us through the summer holidays.
Okay, thanks for the quick reply!

.MerelyASetback

#14 » Post by .MerelyASetback » 02 Dec 2015 10:18

Prime wrote:As suggested and discussed by several players, we will release this raid in several stages. The first 3 bosses will be available from the first day and the others will be made available during the next months. This doesn't only provide a more continuous stream of new content but also makes it easier for us to deal with certain problems that could occur after the release. My apologies for not announcing this part any sooner.

Since this automatically makes sure that the entire raid doesn't get cleared in the first week, bosses don't need to be buffed as much. The damage buff will no longer be used and has been removed from the other raids. HP of bosses in those raids has also been reduced with the main focus remaining on mana cost for healers, which has been found the best buffing method on top of the default buffs. This essentially makes it possible to do Onyxia and Zul'Gurub with less geared groups. Naturally Blackwing Lair will be more heavily buffed until guilds can no longer progress or we're closer to releasing the next raid.
I don't really get this.

Will this not result in an uneven gear distribution? (In an already fragile unbalanced system)
What kind of timeframe do you see for everything in BWL to be released? What factors determine the next 'wing' release if it's not a fixed timeframe?
What about population numbers? If raidloggers will only log for three bosses, wouldn't numbers be worse than a full raid?
Doesn't it kill the realm first nefarian kill race? Don't you kill off real progression?
Why wasn't this discussed in public? Are there any other reasons why this system will be used now? What are you hiding?

The gradual release of content is a flawed illogical concept that doesn't solve the supposed problems it tries to counter.

Note: I would rather see the full content buffed upto a point it's not doable and then nerfed down than just: "You are not allowed to do this content yet.". If there are issues that make this impossible then those issues should be resolved rather than avoided.

But we'll see how it all turns out I guess, maybe we won't even get past the first three bosses...

.kurthos

#15 » Post by .kurthos » 02 Dec 2015 11:33

As far as the state of the instance scripts go; BWL is ready for release as a whole. Nefarian and Razorgore are the most incomplete of the bosses and really need more testing in a real raiding environment which is something I cannot get on the PTR.

The original suggestion was to iron out scripts a focus on a few select bosses so the tuning gets set correctly along with the scripting, this gating could be used to prolong content but it makes the most sense with a modular instance like Naxxramas, not a linear instance like BWL. I also suggested releasing the initial three bosses earlier than December as we had a long pause in content.

I feel the best way to create a balanced Instance is to directly interact with a developer and make raid testing an iterative process. However, the only real way we communicate to the server staff right now is through the tester forum. I feel that when we post we are more or less just talking at the server staff and it doesn't really give us the best results. I think we can do better if we had real testing sessions where developers could see exactly what's going wrong and deliver stronger and more polished content in less time and with less work required overall as we could get scripts right earlier on.