Feast of Winter Veil Event: RACE OF THE PENGUINS 16/17th Dec.

Promote, share and read about the multitude of (in-game and out-of-game) events and creations of the community.
Nyeriah

Feast of Winter Veil Event: RACE OF THE PENGUINS 16/17th Dec.

#1 » Post by Nyeriah » 12 Dec 2017 02:45

RACE OF THE PENGUINS

"Looks like Greatfather Winter had an awesome idea for this year's Feast of Winter Veil celebration. He thought of bringing his personal pet penguins to participate of his visit to the fellow people of Azeroth. What the old man didn't think of was that penguins are LIVELY creatures, not standing still or taking discipline that well for too long.

They band together and go around with their sqweek sqweek tweets, dancing and waving their flippers making them often adorable creatures. The Azerothians are often found inclined to taking them as their own pets! Would you believe that?

A group of penguins has been spotted at the Booty Bay city, they had ran astray when Greatfather Winter stopped by to feed his reindeers. Those penguins are probably hungry (penguins are often hungry, you should keep that in mind). Please, take this shipment of fish and give those penguins a good meal before they starve out. Might as well start planning on a way of bringing them back to us while you are there..."

To celebrate the Feast of Winter Veil we'll be promoting a major swim race through the coast of Stranglethorn Vale in order to rescue Greatfather Winter's penguins.

The event will consist of two stages: reaching the group of penguins that ran astray and leading them back to Patricia Nimblerocket, your Smokywood Pastures representative that will assist you through your mission.

EVENT INFORMATION

Objectives
- Swim across the coast of Stranglethorn Vale until you reach the Booty Bay city where the penguin flock is stationed at.
- Gather as many checkpoints as you can on your way to Booty Bay in order to maximize your rewards.
- Feed a hungry penguin chick and lead it back to Patricia Nimblerocket standing just outside Booty Bay city.

Who can participate?
- Any level 1 character is eligible to participate in the Race of the Penguins event. Laura Nimblerocket will be visiting every race's starting area and gathering as much help as she can to the rescue of the penguins.

Rewards
- Each checkpoint will award the player 1 Participation Token.
- Rescuing a penguin chick awards you 10 Participation Points.
- The first player to rescue a penguin chick is awarded 10 bonus points.

When will the event happen?
The Race of the Penguins will have at the next weekend, 16th and 17th December at both realms, at alternating times as it follows:

Saturday:
5PM - TRUEWOW
3AM - PRIMALWOW

Sunday:
5PM - PRIMALWOW
3AM - TRUEWOW

You can only participate of the event once per realm per day, per account.
- You CAN do it on PrimalWoW and then log TrueWoW and do it there on the same day.
- You CAN run the event on PrimalWoW and then on TrueWoW on Saturday and then run them both again on Sunday.

- You CANNOT create a new character on the same account and try to participate of the event on the same realm, on the same day.

NEW FORM: PENGUIN FORM!

Thanks to some great goblin ingenuity, players will be making use of the super powerful, extremely wonderful, extremely fun and barely dangerous PJ-11 Alpha-Recombulator Penguinizer J.A.D MKII in order to take on a more appropriate form for their mission: the penguin form!

Being a penguin has it's perks. Players will be able to swim faster and breath underwater as long as they remain penguins, which should help them greatly as they swim across the dangerous coast of Stranglethorn Vale.

Logging off will remove your penguin form and set you back to the start of the race!

GATHER CHECKPOINTS, SAVE PENGUINS, EARN POINTS!

Several lost penguins will be stranded across Stranglethorn Vale's coast serving as checkpoints that lead the way to Booty Bay city. If you miss any of those checkpoints, do not worry, they are not mandatory. However, each checkpoint awards you 1 Participation Point, so you'd rather gather them all if you can.

Some checkpoints might be tricky to spot unless you swim close to the coast! But becareful... Stranglethorn Vale is a dangerous zone. Who knows what sorts of dangerous tigers, basilisks and... trolls, would you find on your journey towards your mission goals?

Woah! That was a lot of text! There are several bonus things to the Race of the Penguins that will only be revealed at a later date, but so far I am extremely happy to be able to pull this one event out and I'll be glad if y'all stopped by to participate =)

With very much love, much much much love...

Stay true, stay true! :D
- Nyeriah

“All your life, you will be faced with a choice. You can choose love or hate…I choose love.”
― Johnny R. Cash

:heart:

Vynlandish

Re: Feast of Winter Veil Event: RACE OF THE PENGUINS 16/17th Dec.

#2 » Post by Vynlandish » 13 Dec 2017 01:09

noot noot

Karayna

#3 » Post by Karayna » 13 Dec 2017 15:48

Cannot wait, looks like a lot of fun :D

.Venna
Donor

#4 » Post by .Venna » 15 Dec 2017 00:02

I'm really looking forward to this one
Australian Tauren Resto Druid.
Primalwow.

Nyeriah

#5 » Post by Nyeriah » 15 Dec 2017 23:29

“All your life, you will be faced with a choice. You can choose love or hate…I choose love.”
― Johnny R. Cash

Flameroller

#6 » Post by Flameroller » 16 Dec 2017 03:21

So... is participation mandatory and if you don't, you can't play? I just got kicked off the game and cannot log in.

Nyeriah

#7 » Post by Nyeriah » 16 Dec 2017 04:09

Penguindana was the fastest penguin at our first Race of the Penguins! Congratulations!

Three more races are scheduled for this weekend, if you couldn't participate on this one, make sure to check in the next ones!
― Johnny R. Cash

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 17 Dec 2017 17:40

Thank you all for participating in the Race of the Penguins! This was a very fun and entertaining event to code and I really put a lot of loving to the idea of it and I am really happy for the good feedback you guys have given me for it. I really hope you guys enjoyed your time as a penguin and the event was just as amazing to you as it was for me while developing it!

Formissbank has won the TrueWoW run at 5PM Saturday!
Raia has won the TrueWoW penguin run at 3AM Sunday!
Plen has won the PrimalWoW penguin run at 5PM Sunday!

Over 40 players have participated in this event along the course of the four runs. Congratulations to you all and thank you once again for participating!

― Johnny R. Cash

.Venna
Donor

#9 » Post by .Venna » 18 Dec 2017 00:14

It was awesome fun! Can we have another one please?

And thank you to all who participated - my race was great, I was so sure I had lost and was just ambling along in the rear having fun being a penguin and playing with the whirlpool and was very surprised when the npc told me I had won!! I guess everyone else forgot to wait for their penguins.
Australian Tauren Resto Druid.
Primalwow.

loveable

#10 » Post by loveable » 18 Dec 2017 08:40

thx for this event , i hope for more in future
can we have some event like Maze , Stairs , elevator ? i can help with makeing them if need
Beating Everything In WoW -> Ghost <-
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = RBG
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = Not RBG

ewriick

#11 » Post by ewriick » 18 Dec 2017 12:02

Thank you, it was a lot of fun! I have some feedback for future events (which I hope there will be!)

There was no real difficulty or riskiness to this event (it doesn't always have to be, though). In my run, the leading group of people just swam a bit away from the coast, and then basically had auto-run on until they arrived in Booty Bay. I started going for the first checkpoints but felt "cheated" when I saw people skipping them, being a long way ahead of me. Mandatory checkpoints or a path with more dangers (traps, terrain or mobs) would increase the difficulty and decrease the passiveness. Being able to win without taking checkpoints but being allowed to pick them up afterwards rendered the checkpoints to little to no point.

I have noticed some didn't know about the event or didn't care. To increase participation the events where you don't benefit from class spells or items shouldn't require a lvl 1 character (since people are lazy) and some events could maybe also take place in populated cities (since people are lazy).

Technically, the event was in my experience well executed and encountered no errors or similar and I had a good time! Keep up the good work!

If you need inspiration or help with another event, I am sure the hardcore forum posters/lurkers will help you if you ask.

Nyeriah

#12 » Post by Nyeriah » 18 Dec 2017 12:10

Thank you for the feedback! I thought of adding dangerous creatures so people wouldn't stray away too far from the shore but then I really didn't want people to have a half zone graveyard run if they died :(
― Johnny R. Cash

ewriick

#13 » Post by ewriick » 18 Dec 2017 12:24

A solution could've been to customize death while being a penguin, maybe just get slowed, back to a checkpoint or something. There are no real limitations to how custom and crazy you can code, there are limitations to your time and energy, though ^_^ I guess you don't want to interfere with the rest of the world, too!

Longi

#14 » Post by Longi » 18 Dec 2017 23:09

cool ... it looks like those 5 players or better to say 3 members of tw team and two players had a great time doing this event :D ... at least screenshot shows great participation in the event :D

Nyeriah

#15 » Post by Nyeriah » 19 Dec 2017 01:49

Don't be a sore loser just because you weren't there, Sammara.
― Johnny R. Cash