The Dragonfire Challenge: Onyxia's Lair!

Promote, share and read about the multitude of (in-game and out-of-game) events and creations of the community.
Gnurg

Re: The Dragonfire Challenge: Onyxia's Lair!

#16 » Post by Gnurg » 28 Dec 2016 11:35

Fastor wrote:Long time ago when l had GTX660 l tried Shadowplay and instantly regret, that is why l dont recommend it to anyone.

That being said, knowing that you Gnurg bought GTX970 recently and that you are "next>next>next>l accept>next>install>finish>ehfak" type of PC user that installs stuff, you most likely already have Shadowplay installed. Just open user interface called Nvidia Experience and there should be button for Shadowplay.
Pfft... It was called Geforce Experience and I had to update. >:[
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Boxis
Donor

#17 » Post by Boxis » 28 Dec 2016 12:12

Fastor wrote:Long time ago when l had GTX660 l tried Shadowplay and instantly regret, that is why l dont recommend it to anyone.

That being said, knowing that you Gnurg bought GTX970 recently and that you are "next>next>next>l accept>next>install>finish>ehfak" type of PC user that installs stuff, you most likely already have Shadowplay installed. Just open user interface called Nvidia Experience and there should be button for Shadowplay.
Not sure what kind of an issues were you experiencing but after 2 years of using it, I haven't had single problem with it. (Might be that GPUs prior Shadowplay's launch received less support than the ones after SP launch, just an idea). Since it's easy to use and performance loss of 2-3% is way better than other programs I've tested, I can definitely recommend it.
However, you just reminded me that for Shadowplay you need to have a GTX class of GPU, however Gnurg is owning one so there is no prob.

@Gnurg - There is many tutorials about how to set it up, but if you need help with something, you can always write me on Skype.

On topic - This is definitely an interesting event where people might have a lot of fun while trying to achieve the goal, so, I believe, if the event is successful, it might be used as an example for other players to come up with their own ideas of similar events.

Cocopuffs
Donor

#18 » Post by Cocopuffs » 28 Dec 2016 14:21

I already have my team members ready for multiple x3 onyxia kills, as we do every week. can i choose where to get my reward? which account or char or w/e

Nyeriah

#19 » Post by Nyeriah » 28 Dec 2016 14:38

Yes, you can choose where to get your rewards. Though an account can only be rewarded web points once (no reward stacking). That would be too much :P

Gnurg

#20 » Post by Gnurg » 29 Dec 2016 00:28

Just a heads up for whoever get that Nvidia thing.... Don't let it optimise your game settings. -.-
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

MerelyASetback
Donor

#21 » Post by MerelyASetback » 29 Dec 2016 01:04

Gnurg wrote:Just a heads up for whoever get that Nvidia thing.... Don't let it optimise your game settings. -.-
That's why I stopped using Experience completely. It looks like a good feature on paper but in practice it's terrible. It kept putting my resolution to an upscaled 4k one, even when I blacklisted the setting/game. Every time they had a new update out it just kept screwing with all my (modded to hell) games' settings. The shitty UI and recent social media integration didn't help either seeing as the only reason I kept it around were driver update notifications and its automatic installation.

A well configured obs works for me with no real performance loss (on a recent rig). Another upside of obs is that you can e.g. hide your chatbox, change audiostreams, add fancy logo's, etc. All of these things are usually a pain if you need to add them afterwards through video editing software.

Fastor

#22 » Post by Fastor » 29 Dec 2016 09:32

MerelyASetback wrote:
Gnurg wrote:Just a heads up for whoever get that Nvidia thing.... Don't let it optimise your game settings. -.-
That's why I stopped using Experience completely. It looks like a good feature on paper but in practice it's terrible.
One of reasons why l stopped using both Nvidia and AMD programs, in short its bloatware with path pawed by good ideas. Even having auto update is bad idea, just take a look how Nvidia screwed fan controls letting graphic cards to overheat and die. If you dont have problems with current solution, dont update and if you do, check reports on it.

Manual configurations FTW!

Boxis
Donor

#23 » Post by Boxis » 29 Dec 2016 10:07

MerelyASetback wrote:
That's why I stopped using Experience completely. It looks like a good feature on paper but in practice it's terrible. It kept putting my resolution to an upscaled 4k one, even when I blacklisted the setting/game. Every time they had a new update out it just kept screwing with all my (modded to hell) games' settings. The shitty UI and recent social media integration didn't help either seeing as the only reason I kept it around were driver update notifications and its automatic installation.
That's what the game optimization feature is for. If your GPU is strong enough, it will enable DSR and upscale the resolution on top of choosing the ultra settings for the particular game. However, noone is forcing you to use the feature, and, if someone knows a bit about his system, he should know what settings he should choose in the particular game.
That's why I don't recommend this feature to people who know what they are doing, especially when you mod your games or like to play with different settings by yourself. It is good for someone who doesn't know much about PC's and doesn't want to waste his time trying to find out which settings reduce his FPS the most (some modern games actually do this optimization on first launch though, but that's not the point).

The program itself doesn't do anything to your system, just periodically looks for driver updates. However, again, noone is forcing you to install the driver update, as well as using the battery boost/Game stream/VR features.

I am using GE only because of it's convenient Shadowplay recording option at the moment. However, as you said, there is a downside that after some recent update they changed whole UI and require Geforce account in order to use some of its features (it's free, but really inconvenient). AMD wins there with its new ReLive solution.

Moreover I wouldn't call it bloatware nowadays, especially the AMD's counterpart, since it actually boost performance and adds some useful features.

Also, I believe this whole discussion should be in separate topic lol.

Fastor

#24 » Post by Fastor » 29 Dec 2016 10:09

Boxis wrote:Also, I believe this whole discussion should be in separate topic lol.
That one is true.

Gnurg

#25 » Post by Gnurg » 29 Dec 2016 10:24

Boxis wrote:Nvidia stuff
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Nyeriah

#26 » Post by Nyeriah » 29 Dec 2016 12:05

Thread hijackers :/

Gnurg

#27 » Post by Gnurg » 31 Dec 2016 01:15

Nyeriah wrote:Thread hijackers :/
Could we extend the event by a week? So far few submissions and it's a very busy week for some players.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Nyeriah

#28 » Post by Nyeriah » 02 Jan 2017 13:00

Yes, it'll keep being extended so long there are no participants.

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#29 » Post by Errorista » 02 Jan 2017 13:56

include Onyxia mount as reward to attract participants

Nyeriah

#30 » Post by Nyeriah » 02 Jan 2017 14:05

Errorista wrote:include Onyxia mount as reward to attract participants
No :D