The Ironman Challenge.

Promote, share and read about the multitude of (in-game and out-of-game) events and creations of the community.
IronSharona
Former Staff

The Ironman Challenge.

#1 » Post by IronSharona » 07 Aug 2016 05:50

How to Participate in The Ironman Challenge

1. Register for the competition
Use the command ".ironman info" to learn how to do this. This will automatically invite you to the official Ironman Guild, if you are not in a guild. It is not a requirement you be in the official guild, but you may not use guild money to repair your items or take items from guild banks if you are in an alternate guild.

2. Don't die
You will need to reach the level 80 without dying. Players who have recorded deaths will be moved to the Honourable Dead leaderboard. PvP related deaths on TW realm also count. Avoid enemy players!

3a. Disallowed activities
You may not use potions (other than health/mana potions, see #4 below), elixirs, flasks, enchantments, glyphs or anything causing EXP boosts (this includes Recruit-A-Friend and our optional 2x or 3x rates). Using the increased exp rate prior to attempting to signing up for the challenge will result in the player being unable to sign up. You may not equip anything green (including bags!), blue, purple, or orange. Gear enhancements, such as armor kits or scope enchant (ranged weapon) are disallowed (even though they are white, they are still counted as enchantments). You may not use items purchased via Vote Points in the Web Shop. You may not mail yourself items or money from alternate characters. You may not join a party, battleground, dungeon, arena, or raid. You may not learn professions (other than First Aid). You may not gain buffs through food or scrolls. You may not receive ports or summons from other players. You may not use account-wide abilities. Using a Soulstone or Reincarnation

3b. Bonus restriction - Bloodthirsty Challenge
If you're a sucker for punishment, limit yourself to only completing 75 quests or fewer on your deathless journey to level cap. If you accidentally complete more than 75, you will be automatically removed from the Bloodthirsty Challenge and added to the regular Ironman Challenge. Though the reward for completion of this challenge is the same as for the base Ironman Challenge.

4. Permitted activities
You may use anything specific to your class, including class talents and buffs. You may equip gray or white items. You may use mana or health pots (NOT healthstones unless you are a Warlock). You may receive buffs from players you run into but you cannot ask them to buff you. You may learn the First Aid profession. If an elixir is required for a quest, you may apply it exactly once. You may gain the well-rested XP bonus from being in a city or inn. You may send yourself vanity items from other characters, such as shirts/dresses/tabards which do not provide any stat modifications. (Feel free to grab a tabard from the Guild bank, but put it back when you're done with the competition.) Your pets and minions may die. You may use Shadowmeld and Feign Death spells. You may travel using Hearthstone and/or Riding skill. You may get drunk, as long as no beneficial buffs are given in tandem. You may complete the [For The Horde!] quest, which automatically rewards the [Warchief's Blessing] buff.

5. Honor the spirit of the competition
If you're ever in doubt, remember that this challenge is MEANT to be hard. Use your best judgement to decide if something is likely to be permitted, but don't be afraid to ask if you're uncertain. There are many veterans who have been around the competition and its rules for a while who you can ask for guidance.

6. Rewards for successful completion
Contenders who emerge successfully will receive the [Reins of the Bengal Tiger] on a Level 70+ character of their choice. This mount is a 100% speed mount (despite what the tooltip may say). The character must be on the same account as their Ironman victor.
Claim your mount from the Ironman page on the website.

7. Participation
  • Death Knights are NOT eligible.
  • You may enter as many times as you'd like, and can continue using the same name as long as disqualified characters are deleted.
  • Many rule violations are automatically detected and will notify you in-game of your disqualification.
  • Adjudicators are Errorista and Dymond.
  • Report any rulebreaking or glitches in the Ironman forum thread (here) or privately to an adjudicator.
  • Competition credits ideas from Ironman and Bloodthirsty but has been modified to suit TrueWoW.
8. Requesting Reversal of a Glitch-Caused Death
Please contact and adjudicator and include a screenshot with any report of glitches that you believe unfairly disqualified you from the competition. Known bugs which we will NOT allow death resets for include using Warrior's Charge, Mage's Blink, or lagging while riding the Undercity elevator. Each suspicious death reported is investigated on a case-by-case basis. Please do not play on a disqualified Ironman character until you have received approval from the adjudicator.
  • Important Note! The quest [A Lost Master] requires equipping of a green rarity cloak. At present, this will disqualify you (automatically) from the competition. Please ask for a reactivation in the competition if this happens to you, as we work to add this item to the special exceptions list. :)
Tips and Tricks from an Ironman Victor -- Errorista
  • Avoid caves.
  • Avoid creatures that have Fear ability and you are in hilly terrain (e.g. pterodactyls in Un'Goro Crater), you may fall underground.
  • Avoid Un'Goro Crater in general because of many roaming elites.
  • Avoid Undercity Elevator.
  • Avoid Darkshire because of roaming [Stitches].
  • Avoid world boss areas because they will PVP flag you and other players might kill you.
  • Always have some spare Health Potions on hotkeys.
  • If you start lagging, log out immediately and log some other time.
Additional Tips from Honored Dead
  • Avoid Southshore! The Shadowy Assassins cluster in the middle of the village if they aren't killed by players.
Last edited by .Venna on 12 Aug 2016 05:53, edited 10 times in total.
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

.Venna
Donor

Re: Primal: The Ironman Challenge.

#2 » Post by .Venna » 07 Aug 2016 05:50

FAQ
Q: What happens if I die?
A: That toon is disqualified and cannot continue in the Challenge any longer. However, you may start another character and try again.

Q: Is it allowed to have White+ gear in your bags before you got killed or you completed the achievement?
A: Yes, you can't complete most quests with gear if you don't take the items and many are green, some blue. But you cannot equip them

Q: Is it allowed to be inactive and wait for rested XP?
A: Rested XP is fine.

Q: Are white+ quality bags allowed?

A: Only white quality bags are allowed. This will allow you up to 14 slotters, which should be plenty.

Q: Are we allowed to use the auction house?
A: Yes, you may buy and sell on the AH. Don't sell gear to your own characters (on other accounts), don't have friends buy things for massive amounts. Don't abuse this or the AH privilege will be removed.

Q; Does the challenge have a timer?
A: No timer, I intend for the Challenge to run for the life of the server. When expansions drop it will just change to the current level cap.

Q: Can two iron man challengers group up?
A: No, they can't. It is supposed to be a solo challenge. But there is nothing to stop you being in the same zone and questing near each other.

Q: How will this be tracked? Like how will anyone know if I equip a bunch of blues when no one's around? Is staff helping verify this?
A: The Ironman program checks for equipped items and buffs, grouping and other things. If you break the rules you will immediately get a notice in game that you are disqualified - it will also show on the Ironman page feed.
But in all honesty it is up to the Contenders to adhere to the spirit of the challenge. It's about setting yourself a difficult challenge and doing it. Cheating yourself of the knowledge you did it by the rules doesn't give you the sense of achievement.

Q: Am I allowed to use quest reward items like really sticky glue? Some provide some good survival tools, such as the glue.
A: Yes, stuff like that is fine as it goes on the mob, not you.

Q: Are we allowed to trade or mail out items found to our main accounts?
A: What you do with the items this character finds is not important. You may vendor, trade, ah, post, discard them. (No COD selling) Just nothing may come _to_ the character from elsewhere.

Q: You say, no items sent from other toons, but can people send their junk to banker for safekeeping?
A: If you want it for later, save it in your bank. Sending stuff to other toons is fine as long as nothing is coming back to the challenger.

Q: Getting a haircut is allowed?
A: Iffy. You can't do anything that gives your character a buff, so if you get a totally awesome cut that makes your character uber, the answer has to be no. Yes, you may get a haircut.

Q; Are addons allowed ?
A: UI addons are fine. Questing/leveling guides are not. This means Questhelper is fine, Zygor's is not.

Q: Am I allowed to spend skill points ?
A: I presume you mean Talent points for specs and yes you may spend them.

Q: Can I start now or do I have to wait for something ?
A: You don't have to wait for anything - just type the necessary command before you go past level 9 and off you go!

Good luck!

Last edited by .Venna on 07 Aug 2016 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Australian Tauren Resto Druid.
Primalwow.

.Venna
Donor

#3 » Post by .Venna » 07 Aug 2016 05:50

Claiming your reward.

The reward for this challenge, a wonderful 100% mount available ONLY by doing this challenge, is thanks to the fantastic Staff here at Primal. There is no in game title as a reward for this challenge. An in game title would require everyone on the server to download a new client and so it just not possible. The mount is a reward for reaching level cap without dying whether you get there by choosing to quest or do Bloodthirsty. The challenge is the same and the reward is the same. Good luck!!

When you have completed the Challenge, you must wait until you have been moved to the completed list and then go to the Reward Page and claim your mount!

You will need to be logged in (to the forum) but the toon should be offline when you claim. You may type in ANY level 70 toon on the account and when you log back in the mount will be in your mount tab. This means you can get the mount on every level 70 character on the same account on which you did the Ironman Challenge successfully.

Once you complete the challenge write a message in this thread or chat to Dana to be moved to the completed list.
Last edited by .Venna on 22 Aug 2016 03:20, edited 4 times in total.
Primalwow.

.Venna
Donor

#4 » Post by .Venna » 07 Aug 2016 05:50

Some challengers who have completed the challenge have left those of you who are starting some tips.

Here are Surai's tips to completing Ironman I will survive!

The caves rule.

Dragonheart's spiel

And a last piece of advice.

Just a note about glitches. Charge and blink can put you through the ground and kill you, don't use them. Undercity has a couple of area (down the stairs from the bank - don't jump off) where you die to fall damage even though you never fell and Felwood off the road, the same, on the road you should be fine.
Last edited by .Venna on 22 Aug 2016 03:56, edited 32 times in total.
Primalwow.

.Venna
Donor

#5 » Post by .Venna » 07 Aug 2016 05:55

Here is the new Ironman list. At the top are tabs which can show Ironmen and Bloodthirsty contenders.

Ironman listing page

List of those who have completed the Challenge:

Preaux was the first to make it to level cap. Since then,

Aberration, Danae, Dina, Dragoo, Errorista, Ezua, Feranite, Hopeidontdie, Ironglevin, Ironhunny, Ironlock, Jamja, Kestadi, Korosive, Sasa, Stilgarr, Surai, Totheknee, Trixarrow, Xugg have all completed.

So out of at least 400 attempts for the challenge so far, about 20 have made it to completion. This is about a 5% rate. It is not an easy challenge.
Last edited by .Venna on 12 Aug 2016 08:58, edited 4 times in total.
Primalwow.

Fárlight

#6 » Post by Fárlight » 07 Aug 2016 11:18

Is it allowed to have White+ gear on your bags before you got killed or you completed the achievement?
PW:
Farlight level 70 warrior Arms
TW:
I don't have any chars

.Venna
Donor

#7 » Post by .Venna » 07 Aug 2016 12:32

Yes, you can't complete most quests with gear if you dont take the items and many are green, some blue. But you cannot equip them.
Primalwow.

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Hansrutger » 07 Aug 2016 13:27

This got my attention! I love challenges, but I do not think I will do a good job on doing this in terms of speed, will rather be a long progression haha.

Palamaster - Paladin - Human

I don't have any higher toon than level 1 on primal so I guess this would be my 'main' heh! :D

EDIT:
Is it allowed to be inactive and wait for rested XP? I will most likely do that seeing as the amount of effort I put into TrueWoW raiding.
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

.Venna
Donor

#9 » Post by .Venna » 07 Aug 2016 14:29

Hansrutger wrote:This got my attention! I love challenges, but I do not think I will do a good job on doing this in terms of speed, will rather be a long progression haha.

Palamaster - Paladin - Human

I don't have any higher toon than level 1 on primal so I guess this would be my 'main' heh! :D

EDIT:
Is it allowed to be inactive and wait for rested XP? I will most likely do that seeing as the amount of effort I put into TrueWoW raiding.
Rested XP is fine. I think if toons are not played for a month they may be dropped from the challenge, I'll have to think on that one. Welcome to the challenge!
Last edited by .Venna on 07 Aug 2016 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Primalwow.

Khasekhemwy

#10 » Post by Khasekhemwy » 07 Aug 2016 15:08

Just a quick question; are white+ quality bags allowed?

Vaen

#11 » Post by Vaen » 07 Aug 2016 17:45

Applying to the bloodthirsty challenge in case I get around to it. My main is Parallel and my participating character is:

Pyramid, undead mage.

Edit: Are we allowed to use the auction house?
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

freehall2002

#12 » Post by freehall2002 » 07 Aug 2016 18:23

does the challenge has timer?
coz i will lvl my char when i am bored don't have any char on primal so it will be my first my main is given below on truewow.

thx in adv

Grashopa

#13 » Post by Grashopa » 08 Aug 2016 00:30

So two iron man challengers cannot group up? Like the wiff and i cant do this together (in a group)?

May have time to try it as my "solo" project.

Relevant

#14 » Post by Relevant » 08 Aug 2016 02:12

How will this be tracked? Like how will anyone know if I equip a bunch of blues when no one's around? Is staff helping verify this?

.Venna
Donor

#15 » Post by .Venna » 08 Aug 2016 02:38

Khasekhemwy wrote:Just a quick question; are white+ quality bags allowed?
Only white quality bags are allowed. This will allow you up to 14 slotters, which should be plenty.
Primalwow.