Blood Death Knight tanking guide.

shadowdragon1925

Blood Death Knight tanking guide.

#1 » Post by shadowdragon1925 » 17 Oct 2012 20:40

Blood DK (TANK)

Tanking in blood spec isn't hard. Here is a list of the important tips and tricks to know about blood tanking. These will include abilties such as defensive CDs and how to self-heal correctly (in my opinion).

Defensive CD's:
-Icebound fortitude; it will decrease physical damage taken by 30%.
-Anti-magic shell; it absorbs 75% of spell damage up to 50% of the Death knight`s health.
-Blade barrier (blood spec); by exhausting your blood runes, you will generate a blood barrier, decreasing damage taken by 5%.

Self-healing:
Death strike (the system); when you are tanking, make sure that the enemy has frost fever and blood plague, because when you use death strike, you will be able to heal yourself with an increase for each disease on target, for example, I have both the diseases on target and I get healed for 8k, if I only 1 disease, I will be healed for 4k health.
Mark of blood (blood spec); you will place a mark on the enemy, so each time that he hits you, you will be healed for 4% of your health, this effect stacks 20 and has a limit of 20 seconds.
Vampiric blood + Rune tap; now, vampiric blood, will temporarily grant you 15% of your maximum health and it will increase healing done by 35% for 10 seconds. While this effect is on you, be sure to use your rune tap, which will heal you for 11% of your health, with the vampiric blood, it will heal you for a lot more, my top self-heals when I use this system are 16k health.
Death pact; this one is my favorite, when you summon one of your undead minions, this spell will sacrifice it granting you 40% of your maximum health, by the way, if possible, use this spell while under the effect of vampiric blood.

Threat generation
Threat is actually the easiest part.
-Frost presence; it will increase your attributes (including your armors) and it will increase threat generated. Have it always on!!!!
-Icy touch, spam this spell when possible, it is the spell that generates more threat.
-Death and Decay; when you have to tank more than 1 npc, this is the best spell, it will create a field on the ground that will do damage to your enemies and it will also do loads of threat.

Glyphs
-Majors: Glyph of rune tap; Glyph of icebound fortitude.
-Minors: Glyph of blood tap; Glyph od death`s embrace.

Bonus
-Hysteria, I love to use this, because it will give 20% physical damage increase, so, in raids, such as ICC, I use on the best warriors or other physical damage classes, it is not a must. But it is useful.

Here is the link for my spec in truewow`s armory:
http://www.truewow.org/armory/character ... adowwarder

Any questions you may have can be answered here, or in-game (whisper Shadowwarder), and have a nice day :)

Sanity

Re: Blood Death Knight tanking guide.

#2 » Post by Sanity » 17 Oct 2012 20:58

So instead of using death runes on heart strikes, you spend them on icy touches, thereby magically creating a bunch of threat ... Why'd I never thought of that lol

Always having tanked as Unholy, I used to spread diseases with highest priority and then use heartstrikes while attempting to tank as blood :-)

shadowdragon1925

#3 » Post by shadowdragon1925 » 17 Oct 2012 21:36

Well, yeah, I use my death runes on icy touches.
Though instead of heartstrikes, I use death-strikes cause of the self-heals.
I mostly just use heart strike when I need to attack multiple targets.
:)

Hellsoul

#4 » Post by Hellsoul » 18 Oct 2012 08:58

Pretty nice tips there, but there's only one thing: Mark of Blood. I agree it can be usefull some times, but if you're mostly raiding ICC, it's pretty useless seeing that it only heals you for 4% each time the target attacks you and that most bosses in ICC hit for more than 4% of your hp (LK hits for approx 20k normal hits in 10n, and marrow 11k in 10hc), and they also dont attack very fast (especially LK :P). So i personnaly dont like it so much :P. Here's a link to my spec on the armory: http://www.truewow.org/armory/character ... le&group=1 dont look at my glyphs, i gotta change them :P
Hellsoul lvl 80 Nelf Death Knight, Frost dps pve; Blood tank
Bowner lvl 80 Troll Hunter, MM PvE/SV PvP -- Inactive for a while on this character
Luminala lvl 80 Nelf druid Resto PvE/Feral Tank PvE
Deathknab level 80 Draenei Death Knight (another dkwuut?)<--- Unholy coz i'm a crazy mofo
Zomfg lvl 80 Human Healadin

shadowdragon1925

#5 » Post by shadowdragon1925 » 18 Oct 2012 22:10

:)
Yeah, mark of blodd in ICC is not very useful but still...
Besides, It is very usefull in the other raids ahah; specially ToC.
:D

Hellsoul

#6 » Post by Hellsoul » 18 Oct 2012 22:12

haaahah yeah it is :) but i dont raid ToC often anymore, all i raid is icc :P
Hellsoul lvl 80 Nelf Death Knight, Frost dps pve; Blood tank
Bowner lvl 80 Troll Hunter, MM PvE/SV PvP -- Inactive for a while on this character
Luminala lvl 80 Nelf druid Resto PvE/Feral Tank PvE
Deathknab level 80 Draenei Death Knight (another dkwuut?)<--- Unholy coz i'm a crazy mofo
Zomfg lvl 80 Human Healadin