Damage dealers as Off-Tanks

Dunn

Damage dealers as Off-Tanks

#1 » Post by Dunn » 21 Jun 2011 16:52

The relevance of a damage dealing char with rather high survivability to assist the main tank by taking some of the threat. Is this preferable? Discuss

PS: This might only work at lower leverls - as I only have experience at lower levels ;)

Protective

Re: Damage dealers as Off-Tanks

#2 » Post by Protective » 21 Jun 2011 18:20

I'm using a prot talent tree as warrior that deals quite high dps. Have no problems tanking nor dealing dmg. Don't need a lot of dps as tank though for that. If you need a dps you can just change your talent tree with dual spec.

Royal

#3 » Post by Royal » 21 Jun 2011 18:59

The relevance of a damage dealing char with rather high survivability to assist the main tank by taking some of the threat. Is this preferable? Discuss
You cant take threat, threat is something you build up on your own character, thus the relevance of such an character is 0

An off-tanks job is not to ''assist the main tank by taking some threat'', the off-tank is supposed to:
-share cleave damage with the tank on bosses that posses such abilities
-keep trash mobs that spawn during certain encounters from the heals and damage dealers
-keep agro on stronger elite mobs that spawn during certain encounters
-taunt bosses off the main tank during encounters that include bosses that apply an debuff that makes it impossible for the main tank to survive holding agro on the boss for the entire fight
-in the case that the main tank dies, keep agro on the boss for long enough for the main tank to be revived and healed or for the boss to go down

Dunn

#4 » Post by Dunn » 22 Jun 2011 13:57

As I said, I only have experience at lower levels...

But thanks for your input, will take note ;)