Warrior threat generation bugged?

cyberjumper
Donor

#1 » Post by cyberjumper » 23 Feb 2013 19:39

Hi guys I just posted this to ask if protection warriors are bugged in anyway? I noticed as compared to pally and DK tanks, prot warrs really don't generate much threat at all, and I have difficulty not pulling threat most of the time when a prot warrior is tanking.

Personally I don't use a warr tank but I use a pally tank and I really don't find it hard to hold threat even against dps that have significantly higher gs than me. Just wondering if there's any info about this? Cos I realize that there's a severe lack of warr tanks on this server and well would be pretty bad for the tank population for the server if prot warrs were indeed bugged. Thanks! =)

Hellsoul

Re: Warrior threat generation bugged?

#2 » Post by Hellsoul » 24 Feb 2013 00:44

Even though my warr tank is omly in his 70s, i've been holding aggro just fine :). And it's "normal" for prot paladins to hold aggro easily, coz Hammer of the Righteous is OP and does LOADS of threat.
Hellsoul lvl 80 Nelf Death Knight, Frost dps pve; Blood tank
Bowner lvl 80 Troll Hunter, MM PvE/SV PvP -- Inactive for a while on this character
Luminala lvl 80 Nelf druid Resto PvE/Feral Tank PvE
Deathknab level 80 Draenei Death Knight (another dkwuut?)<--- Unholy coz i'm a crazy mofo
Zomfg lvl 80 Human Healadin

Nyaneve

#3 » Post by Nyaneve » 24 Feb 2013 02:36

Warriors don't have much in the way of AoE aggro, but all of the warrior tanks I've played alongside manage to hold aggro perfectly fine. Its most likely the DPS' fault if they don't hold their horses for 2-3 sec and allow the tank to generate sufficient threat.

Krypton

#4 » Post by Krypton » 24 Feb 2013 03:52

As many have been asking about this in particular, and also from a technical POV. No, there isn't anything wrong with how a prot warrior generates threat(or anything wrong with his threat generating skills), warriors TPS is slightly lower in terms of getting AoE aggro as opposed to other tanking classes.

Seeing as how a warrior is only based on Melee physical attacks it may look like he has inferior threat generation than the other classes; this is because physical attacks as we all know are very dependent on other stats such as hit & expertise.
A paladin can mitigate threat loss even if he is below hit/expertise cap because he also uses spells, thus making it a bit more forgiving for the paladins physical attacks, the same goes for a DK tank.

So, for a warrior it is crucial to quench these stats first (Hit/Exp) in order to maintain his aggro assuredly.
Also, a great deal of his threat generation is based on which spec the warrior has. There are a couple of prot warrior specs and they are divided in terms of how they generate aggro, whether it is an AoE Threat build or a Single Target Threat build.

And as it was aforementioned by the above player, in order for you to play your role, so must others play their role as well. You can't expect to tank accordingly if your DPS-ers can't "keep it in their pants".

Darchrow
Donor

#5 » Post by Darchrow » 24 Feb 2013 04:19

Well, i remember when i used to tank with my ex warr. It wasn't really that hard
If there are many mobs, simply Charge > Shockwave > Cleave + Thunder Clap spam > and all other abilities ( Shield Slam / Revenge / Devastate )
unless i remember wrong and i used to do it differently :P
but that ought to do it anyway
teh char list ( 80s ) :
Jynx / Zubat / Alyce ( Swagmourne ) / Discord / Redtube
Disruption / Perplexity / Magejkdruid / Swagstormxqt ( Swagmobile )
Vinegar ~ Lvl 51 Rogue

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

[Guild] [Angrycow]: nice to meet u im Sava and im really horny person

kindzadza ily

cyberjumper
Donor

#6 » Post by cyberjumper » 24 Feb 2013 09:10

Hmm I see thanks for the reply guys! Well cos it seems even though I use tricks of the trade and then killing spree to give the tank a huge threat lead, if I don't cast subsequent ToTs I will eventually overtake the warrior tank in threat.

Yup warrior tanks are supposed to be weaker than other classes in aoe tanking. But the upside to that is that they should have very strong single target threat. I'm just wondering cos I heard rumors that the warriors main threat generator, shield slam is doing alot less damage than it should.

Any regularly tanking warriors notice this? =)

Krypton

#7 » Post by Krypton » 24 Feb 2013 20:28

There is nothing wrong with Shield Slams damage. What might have aroused that confusion is the fact that in the past Block Value had no cap (Seeing as how SS damage is based on Block Value), thus making Shield Slam do high amounts of damage.

You can check all this in the patch hotfixes from blizzard and when it was fixed on Trinity.

Nyaneve

#8 » Post by Nyaneve » 25 Feb 2013 08:19

Well-geared rogues generate a lot of threat very fast. FoK is one of the hardest hitting AoE attacks in the game, especially for Mutilate rogues. KS also deals a large amount of damage in a very short span of time, leading to perilous threat levels. Its a rogue's duty to use TotT if he generates a lot of threat, especially since having the T10 2p makes it beneficial to do so.

cyberjumper
Donor

#9 » Post by cyberjumper » 25 Feb 2013 10:58

Yup I'm aware of that. Just wondering cos I don't usually face such a problem with DKs, bears or pally tanks of lower gear. Maybe it might have been 1 or 2 isolated incident which stuck out, given that most people say its not bugged. Thx for the replies then guys=)

Mithrandir

#10 » Post by Mithrandir » 26 Feb 2013 15:55

Actually I am experiencing thread problems myself on my warrior, whereas I never had this before. Now halfway the fight even I lose aggro, 3-4 times in a row. Something seems wrong....

Myaoming
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Myaoming » 26 Feb 2013 16:42

There was always an Aggro issue, not only with Warrios, but with everything. I don't know how it works but it's weird.
Sometimes while I'm healing RHC, I like to pull mobs myself, so when I rush pulling mobs alone, I can never manage to aggro them even though I'm the only one DPSing and healing myself, so I'm the only one dealing threat. They just run through walls, towards the tank, or someone else. And by the way, if I do the same thing again, the new pulled mobs will run towards the same person the old ones ran to. I don't know what's that...
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

cyberjumper
Donor

#12 » Post by cyberjumper » 26 Feb 2013 18:34

Just some stuff I found in trinity. Still relevant to truewow?

https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityCore/issues/2236

Etro
Honorary Member

#13 » Post by Etro » 26 Feb 2013 18:35

I've experienced what Myaoming said as well, but only when a paladin is tanking.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Myaoming
Former Staff

#14 » Post by Myaoming » 27 Feb 2013 00:32

Cyber, it's an old and closed issue (not a dupe) so it's fixed.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

cyberjumper
Donor

#15 » Post by cyberjumper » 27 Feb 2013 07:31

Oh ok thx =)