[PW] Quick Warlock Primer

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

[PW] Quick Warlock Primer

#1 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 05 Feb 2016 19:42

I see a lot of warlocks making the same mistakes I did with spec and gear, so I made a short video on spec and gearing. Its pretty raw but I hit the major topics.

Enjoy:
[youtube]yrjy6-_sjaw[/youtube]

Feel free to ask any questions you may have in game,

Fitzsimmons - DTP
Last edited by Fitzpatrick on 18 Mar 2016 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

Relevant

Re: Quick Warlock Primer

#2 » Post by Relevant » 05 Feb 2016 20:59

Have you ran many tests? Some of that info seems non-optimal.

I did appreciate the gear suggestions for approaching 60. I'll be using that for sure.

You mentioned maybe an increase in DPS with doom, but I think tests have found that agony actually gives more dps. Haven't tried it myself, so I can't say for sure.

Also, why are you using immolate? Have you tried with vs without?

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#3 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 05 Feb 2016 23:10

Doom is an improvement not only in DPS but in cast time/damage. It has a really high spell power coefficient.
-Agony does approximately 1800 damage for me, fully raid buffed, over 24 seconds (about 80dps)
-Doom does around 6000 (variable), again fully raid buffed, over 60 seconds (about 100dps)
Then add in that you have less than half the casting time required for doom.

Immolate is more damage than a shadowbolt and 1.5sec vs 2.5sec cast time. Its definitely worth using.

Good luck gearing up!

Polvere

#4 » Post by Polvere » 06 Feb 2016 02:06

Interesting video, thanks for posting!

shadesofjoe

#5 » Post by shadesofjoe » 08 Feb 2016 16:50

Those coefficient numbers with Curse of Doom can be misleading, because they assume every one you cast is going to actually come to fruition. If the boss dies before your last Curse of Doom pops, then you've lost, conceivably, almost a full minute of curse DPS and you're back on par with (or lagging behind, even) Curse of Agony. I think this is where some judgment has to come into play. Early in a boss fight, it's obvious you want to use CoD because you're more than likely going to be in combat for at least a minute, unless you're so over-geared that you're face rolling the content. At that point optimal curse usage is a moot issue.

As a fight progresses, it's often more appropriate to switch over to CoA, especially if you feel there's less than a minute left in the encounter. I don't remember the exact statistics right off hand, but a CoD popping at the same time, say, a Shadowbolt crits can have a pretty decent impact on your threat rating because of the burst damage. I personally prefer CoA, because it's easier for me to put into a standard rotation with my other spells. YMMV, obviously.

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 10 Feb 2016 13:57

I just ran over my numbers from a ZG raid last night, just to make sure I had the right side CoA v CoD debate.

CoA: Average tick 171 (min 85 max 476)
CoA DPS: 171/3 = 57dps

CoD: Average tick 6054 (min ~5400 max ~6300)
CoD DPS: 6054/60 = 101 dps

Doom wins by a landslide, even if you give a boost to CoA with some logic about the statistics of ticks. Absolute no-brainer: if the target will be alive for a minute, use Curse of Doom.

shadesofjoe

#7 » Post by shadesofjoe » 16 Feb 2016 18:10

Does CoD have a cooldown if it's resisted in the WotLK client? I remember that being a really frustrating thing in actual Vanilla.

Fastor

#8 » Post by Fastor » 03 Mar 2016 14:49

Fun fact!
He does more DPS than some lvl 80 >.>

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#9 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 09 Mar 2016 14:05

shadesofjoe wrote:Does CoD have a cooldown if it's resisted in the WotLK client? I remember that being a really frustrating thing in actual Vanilla.
The cooldown is triggered whether you hit or not. One of the (many) reasons why hit is important for warlocks.

Sorry for the delay, shadesofjoe. I used to just follow the most recent posts on the landing pad screen for primal wow, but now that's taken up largely by inane shit and drama from Truewow.

Relevant

#10 » Post by Relevant » 09 Mar 2016 16:11

Fitzpatrick wrote:
shadesofjoe wrote:Does CoD have a cooldown if it's resisted in the WotLK client? I remember that being a really frustrating thing in actual Vanilla.
The cooldown is triggered whether you hit or not. One of the (many) reasons why hit is important for warlocks.

Sorry for the delay, shadesofjoe. I used to just follow the most recent posts on the landing pad screen for primal wow, but now that's taken up largely by inane shit and drama from Truewow.
Not sure what's more frustrating: missing a doom, or having 1 second left when the boss dies :evil:

Relina

#11 » Post by Relina » 09 Mar 2016 16:26

This addon:TimeToDie(Estimated time until current target will die), should help you with deciding when to switch from CoD to CoA during an encounter so that you get most out of both curses.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

candre23
Donor

Re: [PW] Quick Warlock Primer

#12 » Post by candre23 » 06 May 2016 19:33

Fitz, you linked to "the" spec in my thread in the newbie section, and I figured this was a better forum to ask some questions I had about it. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not challenging your choices. I haven't played wow in 6 or 7 years, so I'm way out of the loop and legitimately curious why certain talents are better than others for PvE.

Shadowburn - I was always under the impression this was a PvP-centric spell. The mana cost seems too high to use with any regularity on bosses, and even on trash it seems like it would have limited application. How and when is it used in raids?

Felhunter - I did watch the video at the top of this thread, but I'm having difficulty coming to grips with anything other than a phased imp in a raid. Doesn't the felhunter get killed by AoE/cone-effect regularly? I could see it being used in some fights as described, and I do remember using it in vanilla for silencing/buff eating in specific fights, but it seems like it would be more of a liability half the time. I feel like those 2 points in imp felhunter would be better spent on imp life tap or aftermath (if immolate is worthwhile {is it?}).

"Rotation" - is it still just spamming shadowbolts in between renewing dots, or are there more effective/complicated systems now?

Thanks for helping me figure this stuff out.

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#13 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 06 May 2016 21:48

candre23 wrote:Fitz, you linked to "the" spec in my [url=http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34794]Shadowburn - I was always under the impression this was a PvP-centric spell. The mana cost seems too high to use with any regularity on bosses, and even on trash it seems like it would have limited application. How and when is it used in raids?

Felhunter - I did watch the video at the top of this thread, but I'm having difficulty coming to grips with anything other than a phased imp in a raid. Doesn't the felhunter get killed by AoE/cone-effect regularly? I could see it being used in some fights as described, and I do remember using it in vanilla for silencing/buff eating in specific fights, but it seems like it would be more of a liability half the time. I feel like those 2 points in imp felhunter would be better spent on imp life tap or aftermath (if immolate is worthwhile {is it?}).

"Rotation" - is it still just spamming shadowbolts in between renewing dots, or are there more effective/complicated systems now?
Hey Candre!

Shadowburn is decent damage. It does about 1000 (avg) compared to shadowbolt's 1250ish (avg) for me in raids. Its quite nice when moving or as a filler on some fights where the mob becomes shadow vulnerable and cast time is an issue, like Chromaggus. Its also nice when farming to finish off low health mobs when DOTs are fading. However, I mostly use it in raids as a finisher. If you spec for the improved Drains, you can Shadowburn early, and Drain Soul (does more at low mob health then SB) and you don't end up with bags completely filled with soul shards.

Felhunter - don't forget this is a WoTLK build so your pets take very little AE damage. There are very few fights where you will even need to worry about your pet at all if you have even 1pt in Fel Synergy. Your guild may want one warlock with an imp for the hp buff, but its generally not critical.

Rotation - After first applying dots (raiding: CoDoom, Corruption, Immolate), you want to focus on upkeep of your Shadow Embrace stacks. If you have to choose between SB to keep up the embrace stacks and reapplying DoTs, go with a SB. Other then that, weave in Dark Pacts when you aren't reapplying DoTs as needed. Save your +SP clicky trinket for when you will be reapplying a CoDoom.

Good luck!

candre23
Donor

#14 » Post by candre23 » 06 May 2016 22:40

Thanks for all that. I wasn't aware pets got AoE immunity in wrath. Having a bitey mana battery instead of an invisible one will be fun. I'll definitely have to give shadowburn a try as well.

One more lock-related question - are there any addons that work in this patch to auto-delete soul shards above a specific number? I remember there being something that did this in vanilla, but it seems soul shards no longer take up bag space in retail, so it's hard to find an appropriate addon for it.

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#15 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 07 May 2016 00:19

I'm not sure.
You can browse through the Server>Downloads list and see if there's one you want in there.