Affliction Lock Question

Peanuts

Affliction Lock Question

#1 » Post by Peanuts » 22 Feb 2014 19:09

Hi i have been running affliction for a little bit now and from what i gather, below 25% hp u change from shadowbolt to drain soul. However i find that when i do this my corruption often has a shorter duration than the cd of my haunt, which i use at below 25% to refresh it (especially if i apply corruption during bloodlust). So more often than not my corruption falls off before i can refresh, losing the original haste/sp it had.
Does this mean that at higher haste its actually better to just shadowbolt rather than drain soul? or shud i just let corruption fall off and reapply manually?

Thanks in advance
Peanuts - 80 pvp shadow/ pvp disc Priest (inactive)
Peanutsz - 80 Multi/Sub pvp Rogue (inactive)
Peanut- 80 Blood Tank/ 2h Frost Tank DK (inactive)
Nutters- 80 Prot Tank/ Arms pvp Warrior (inactive)
Shenuts - 80 Demo/Affliction PvE Warlock (inactive)
Peanutz - 80 Holy/Ret PvE Paladin (inactive)
Pyrocircus - lvl 19 Resto druid twink (inactive)
Kapital- lvl 79 Enhance/Resto Shaman twink (inactive)

Myaoming
Former Staff

Re: Affliction Lock Question

#2 » Post by Myaoming » 22 Feb 2014 19:27

You remind me of myself :P

Drain Soul refreshes Corruption as well if you read Everlasting Affliction talent well. Reapply Drain Soul to not let your fast Corruption drop. Get Quartz Addon if you don't have it already to be able to foresee Drain Soul ticks and reapply right after a tick and not between 2 ticks or before the next tick in few milliseconds.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Peanuts

#3 » Post by Peanuts » 23 Feb 2014 02:25

ahhh rite cheers slardar
Peanuts - 80 pvp shadow/ pvp disc Priest (inactive)
Peanutsz - 80 Multi/Sub pvp Rogue (inactive)
Peanut- 80 Blood Tank/ 2h Frost Tank DK (inactive)
Nutters- 80 Prot Tank/ Arms pvp Warrior (inactive)
Shenuts - 80 Demo/Affliction PvE Warlock (inactive)
Peanutz - 80 Holy/Ret PvE Paladin (inactive)
Pyrocircus - lvl 19 Resto druid twink (inactive)
Kapital- lvl 79 Enhance/Resto Shaman twink (inactive)

xtopher

#4 » Post by xtopher » 23 Feb 2014 06:50

Also, as far as I know, SP and haste are not stats that continue "rolling" when Corruption is refreshed. The stats that do roll over are crit and percentual damage modifiers. This is why Nevermelting Ice Crystal is a great trinket for affliction locks. You can take advantage of this mechanic by reapplying Corruption with NMIC up, Potion of Wild Magic, Devious Minds (4 pc. t10 bonus), and possibly bribing a rogue to use Tricks of the Trade on you.

emsy
Former Staff

#5 » Post by emsy » 23 Feb 2014 11:43

The major problem with drain soul phase is that Shadow Embrace stacks fade if you don't have enough haste to recast haunt inbetween the drain souls to refresh it

Relina

#6 » Post by Relina » 23 Feb 2014 12:14

xtopher wrote:Also, as far as I know, SP and haste are not stats that continue "rolling" when Corruption is refreshed. The stats that do roll over are crit and percentual damage modifiers. This is why Nevermelting Ice Crystal is a great trinket for affliction locks. You can take advantage of this mechanic by reapplying Corruption with NMIC up, Potion of Wild Magic, Devious Minds (4 pc. t10 bonus), and possibly bribing a rogue to use Tricks of the Trade on you.
This is how it worked on retail, but not on TW.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Myaoming
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Myaoming » 23 Feb 2014 13:38

emsy wrote:The major problem with drain soul phase is that Shadow Embrace stacks fade if you don't have enough haste to recast haunt inbetween the drain souls to refresh it
It's ok to reapply Shadow Embrace with Shadowbolt as well, in case the 4 seconds remaining on Shadow Embrace after Haunt's CD aren't enough for a slow cast + travelling time.
xtopher wrote:Also, as far as I know, SP and haste are not stats that continue "rolling" when Corruption is refreshed. The stats that do roll over are crit and percentual damage modifiers. This is why Nevermelting Ice Crystal is a great trinket for affliction locks. You can take advantage of this mechanic by reapplying Corruption with NMIC up, Potion of Wild Magic, Devious Minds (4 pc. t10 bonus), and possibly bribing a rogue to use Tricks of the Trade on you.
Yeah, in case this mechanism gets to work, I don't recommend keeping Nevermelting Ice Crystal while in encounter. The best use of it is applying it before the encounter starts, then switching to PNL (speaking BiS)
Nevermelting Ice Crystal buff stays even after replacing the trinket, unlike EoF trinkets and others with "use".

Nyaneve

#8 » Post by Nyaneve » 24 Feb 2014 12:22

Is the NIC supposed to work that way? Seems buggy to me.

Relina

#9 » Post by Relina » 24 Feb 2014 13:49

Myaoming wrote: Yeah, in case this mechanism gets to work, I don't recommend keeping Nevermelting Ice Crystal while in encounter. The best use of it is applying it before the encounter starts, then switching to PNL (speaking BiS)
Nevermelting Ice Crystal buff stays even after replacing the trinket, unlike EoF trinkets and others with "use".
NIC buff should only be active while you have the trinket equipped, if its activated pre combat & then replaced by another trinket the buff it provides should be removed.

If its buff is staying active after being replaced the its bugged in the same way librams & sigils are.

Here is what was recommended by retail warlocks :

When Corruption is refreshed, the crit rating is not updated to the actual crit rating of your character or the actual crit debuffs on the mob. Instead, the crit rating you had when you applied the first Corruption keeps "rolling" as long as you keep refreshing it. The same is true for percentual damage increases, namely Tricks of the Trade and Death's Embrace. This has lead to a rather unintuitive way of maximizing corruption damage: Pre-Pot ([Potion of Wild Magic]), cast SB and Haunt, cast UA or CoA while Haunt is in the air, activate [Nevermelting Ice Crystal], then apply Corruption. If you have 4pT10, try to prolong this sequence by filler spells to get that proc as well. When the boss hits 35%, reapply Corruption while using NMIC and a pot again. Ideally, get Tricks of the Trade on both occasions and bribe your RL to announce heroism at 35%. The damage difference is significant: The Corruption damage will rise by roughly 30%, increasing the total damage by more than 10%.
This trick has been mentioned in a blue post, saying it is actually NOT an abuse, but clever use of game mechanics.
Even if you don't want to use it, it is good to know that applying Corruption before your first shadow bolt hits is actually a bad idea. This is the reason for the starting sequence: Make sure (someone's) Shadow Bolt already hit the target when you apply Corruption.

As you can see they were not able activate NIC before combat starts & then replace with another trinket, instead they activated NIC just before applying Corruption.

Just...

Myaoming
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Myaoming » 24 Feb 2014 14:50

I thought they made NMIC an exception, thanks for the clarification :P
Then I guess NMIC should be used on all bosses except PP, Sindy, and LK where you can't keep a Corruption rolling easily.

Relina

#11 » Post by Relina » 24 Feb 2014 18:30

Well it won't matter till corruption mechanics get fixed, if ever :P.

Just...