Demonology Lock question

Peanuts

Demonology Lock question

#1 » Post by Peanuts » 14 Jan 2014 07:49

hi all i recently got to 80 on my warlock and have started messing around with dps specs, mainly demonology. I thought b4 that going a felguard for a demo lock was a no brainer but recently ive seen alot of ppl with an imp instead as well as a kind of hybrid demo/conflag build. Just wondering whether an imp is actually better than felguard for a pve demo lock and whether the hybrid build is actually better than going all the way down the demonology tree.

Sorry in advance if this is a noob question :P
Peanuts - 80 pvp shadow/ pvp disc Priest (inactive)
Peanutsz - 80 Multi/Sub pvp Rogue (inactive)
Peanut- 80 Blood Tank/ 2h Frost Tank DK (inactive)
Nutters- 80 Prot Tank/ Arms pvp Warrior (inactive)
Shenuts - 80 Demo/Affliction PvE Warlock (inactive)
Peanutz - 80 Holy/Ret PvE Paladin (inactive)
Pyrocircus - lvl 19 Resto druid twink (inactive)
Kapital- lvl 79 Enhance/Resto Shaman twink (inactive)

Relina

Re: Demonology Lock question

#2 » Post by Relina » 14 Jan 2014 08:28

The deep demo build with Felguard & Demonic Pact is a utility build which supports the raid by giving Demonic Pact buff which is unrivaled when provided by a decently geared warlock, whereas the demo/conflag with Imp build is more for maximum personal dps, but at the cost of lowering raid caster dps & healer hps.

If as raid leader I was given the choice between which of the 2 warlocks I can have in the raid, I'd always prefer a deep demo build lock over a demo/conflag lock, since the difference in their personal dps is never greater than the difference to raid dps / hps provided by the buff.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Myaoming
Former Staff

#3 » Post by Myaoming » 14 Jan 2014 15:09

Peanuts wrote:Just wondering whether an imp is actually better than felguard for a pve demo lock

as Demonology, start off with Felguard, and switch to Imp at 35%. You can macro Fel Domination with Imp to not waste time. The profit from this is that you get 5% Fire crit (for Soulfire) at the cost of around 40 Spellpower. But keep in mind that currently the Imp does greater damage than the Felguard, since minions are basically bugged, and the Felguard isn't glyphed.
And actually with working minions, you shouldn't think of doing that because the Felguard's damage should be important to keep, but for now.. :)
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Relina

#4 » Post by Relina » 14 Jan 2014 23:25

Myaoming wrote:
Peanuts wrote:Just wondering whether an imp is actually better than felguard for a pve demo lock

as Demonology, start off with Felguard, and switch to Imp at 35%. You can macro Fel Domination with Imp to not waste time. The profit from this is that you get 5% Fire crit (for Soulfire) at the cost of around 40 Spellpower. But keep in mind that currently the Imp does greater damage than the Felguard, since minions are basically bugged, and the Felguard isn't glyphed.
And actually with working minions, you shouldn't think of doing that because the Felguard's damage should be important to keep, but for now.. :)
Oh I never thought of using this gonna test it next raid :)

& that reminds me, should post on bugtracker that Glyph of Felguard is not working atm.

Just...

Misanthrop

Demonology Lock question

#5 » Post by Misanthrop » 15 Jan 2014 01:06

Most of the things related to pets/minions don't work properly as the damage of felguard or BM pet.

I would choose demonology over hybird due to providing a good amount of spower (like 400) to raid regardless of dps loss.

Peanuts

#6 » Post by Peanuts » 15 Jan 2014 02:06

so basically i shud stick to the "classic" felguard spec for raids but switch to something else like imp or hybrid if there alredy is a demo
thanks for the info guys, appreciate it
Peanuts - 80 pvp shadow/ pvp disc Priest (inactive)
Peanutsz - 80 Multi/Sub pvp Rogue (inactive)
Peanut- 80 Blood Tank/ 2h Frost Tank DK (inactive)
Nutters- 80 Prot Tank/ Arms pvp Warrior (inactive)
Shenuts - 80 Demo/Affliction PvE Warlock (inactive)
Peanutz - 80 Holy/Ret PvE Paladin (inactive)
Pyrocircus - lvl 19 Resto druid twink (inactive)
Kapital- lvl 79 Enhance/Resto Shaman twink (inactive)

Misanthrop

#7 » Post by Misanthrop » 15 Jan 2014 16:40

Kind of yes, if there is already a demo in raid, it's better to pick another spec. However, it should be more like which spec you enjoy more. I never tried destro in pve, but i found demo is more fun to play.

Myaoming
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Myaoming » 15 Jan 2014 20:04

I believe a Demo build manages same DPS as the hybrid one if well played.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Gnoumy

#9 » Post by Gnoumy » 15 Jan 2014 20:17

Myaoming wrote:I believe a Demo build manages same DPS as the hybrid one if well played.
Sometimes even more since buff stacking is more beneficial to demo. Anyhow you should play the spec which you enjoy more, not what others demand.

hugeegosorry

#10 » Post by hugeegosorry » 17 Jan 2014 23:51

hello

im completly noob to locks, its my first time lvling one and im looking for max dps output pve lock here on truewow.

at end game gear on blizz ive heard that affli lock is the best bet, but here i hear demonology (even withouth felguard but with imp) is what im searching for

at any rate, the talent spec ive been thinking of is this one using imp, metamorphosis and quick decay glyphs.

if anyone has any suggestion please feel free to bounce em off :D
fighting on the internet is like special olympics - even if you win you are still retarded

Relina

#11 » Post by Relina » 17 Jan 2014 23:58

hugeegosorry wrote:hello

im completly noob to locks, its my first time lvling one and im looking for max dps output pve lock here on truewow.

at end game gear on blizz ive heard that affli lock is the best bet, but here i hear demonology (even withouth felguard but with imp) is what im searching for

at any rate, the talent spec ive been thinking of is this one using imp, metamorphosis and quick decay glyphs.

Oh we were only debating the difference between deep-demo & hybrid demo-destro builds, I'm pretty sure affli does more with good gear than either of those specs.

Just...

emsy
Former Staff

#12 » Post by emsy » 18 Jan 2014 03:13

Hm, i'm wondering what are good glyphs for imp spec. quick decay, corruption, imp?

tihomirkv

#13 » Post by tihomirkv » 18 Jan 2014 09:54

You can just look it up on armory :P. Anyway here is an example http://www.truewow.org/armory/talents.php?n=Uwel&sp=0.

Fastor

#14 » Post by Fastor » 18 Jan 2014 10:12

Hm, is it not better to put 2 points in Fel Synergy and only 1 in Master Summoner since you summon your pet only once in whole raid probably and few times more if it somehow die in combat, and keep him more under healing from 100% chance to heal for 15% of damage you deal?

Also what is rotation here?

hugeegosorry

#15 » Post by hugeegosorry » 18 Jan 2014 11:31

Relina wrote:
hugeegosorry wrote:hello

Oh we were only debating the difference between deep-demo & hybrid demo-destro builds, I'm pretty sure affli does more with good gear than either of those specs.
but isnt this spec the best for overall dps? even for personal? i mean i have heard affli MIGHT only be SLIGHTLY better than demo pve wise, but demo has spellpower raid buff, so there is no contest.
fighting on the internet is like special olympics - even if you win you are still retarded