Elemental Shaman Pre-Raid Bis and Talents

Banhammer

Elemental Shaman Pre-Raid Bis and Talents

#1 » Post by Banhammer » 08 Nov 2015 18:47

Hi i have been exploring this class and its viability as well for a few weeks now, and have made some progress in this area. This is my first attempt at such a spec discussion so it is open to discussion/critique
Stat Priorities
There is a bit of a conundrum here as we are using a wrath client at a vanilla level. What this means is that the stats we are focusing on are the same, but we are often unable to itemize for it
Here they are in order: Hit > Sp > Crit > Haste > Int
Hit
we have 3% hit in our talents from Elemental Precision which brings our hit cap from 16% to 13%. Now for some they will stop
and say why not 17%, but in truth you have 1% chance to miss always so i am using 16% as a cap.
Spell Power
This is often a point of contention as some will argue that crit should be first. This Point of view is not wrong, but i am led
to believe it is not optimal. Essentially spell power increases your base dmg on all spells/dots allowing for more impactful crits.
Critical Strike: In true wotlk, this stat is placed lower than haste with the guaranteed critical strike with our lava burst. Howver, that spell is not available to us and the focus shifts to our lightning bolt and shock crits. Crit gives us sustain via mana cost reduction of spells with Elemental Focus
,and a major dps increase with Elemental Fury which affects all of our dmg including flameshock (initial hit and the dot), searing totem, magma totem, fire nova, ect.
Haste
Now with the current expansion we have very little haste available to us. As a stat haste lowers the cooldowns on our spells and inreases the proc rate of our flameshock dot.
-At lvl 60 we have Libram of Rapidity for helm/leg at +10 rating each and the enchant Minor Haste for +10 rating on gloves
-At lvl 60 10 rating = 1%
[/Center]
Intellect
This stat drives our mana regen via Unrelenting Stom, provides mana, and crit rating. However, it is
also the stat we itemize for the least as more casts doesn't equal higher dps.
1 int = 13.7 mana (with the Ancestral Knowledge talent)
Approx 36 int = 1% crit at lvl 60
Most of these talent are self explanatory. There is one significant talent which i believe makes the spec potentially viable in all levels of content.
Unrelenting Storm
Regenerate mana equal to 12% of your total intellect every 5 seconds, even while casting
At pre-raid gear levels, this talent combined with water shield and totem/blessing generates almost a free lightning bolt every 5 sec. This mana regen all but eliminates 1 of the reasons elemental was nonviable in vanilla raiding
Pre-raid Gear
Helm-- Spellweaver's Turban---Bloodvine Goggles (from Engineering)
Neck- Diana's Pearl Necklace
Shoulder-Champion's Mail Pauldrons--Boreal Mantle--Lead Surveryor's Mantle
Cloak- Hide of the Wild
Chest- Bloodvine Vest
Wrist- Dryad's Wrist Bindings--Funeral Cuffs--Modest Armguards
Hands- Blood Guard's Mail Vices--Harmonious Gauntlets--Desert Bloom Gauntlets
Waist- Ban'thok Sash
Legs- Bloodvine Leggings
Feet- Bloodvine Boots
Rings- Seal of Ascension--Fordring's Seal--Don Rodrigo's Band
-i have yet to test if spell pen applies to pve content in this patch, and my online search efforts have proved null. If it it does indeed apply, it will be a priority stat exceeding even spell power due to the high nature resistances experienced in instances like bwl and aq40. (input revolving around this stat welcome)
Weapon-High Warlord's Spellblade--Mindfang--Black Crystal Dagger(from Wanted: DeathClasp)
Offhand- Tome of Fiery Arcana--Tome of The Lost
Totem-Totem of the Storm
Trinket- Slot 1: High powered Flashlight--Mark of Resolution
Slot 2: Briarwood Reed--Power of the High Chieftain (from Words of the High Chief)--Eye of the Beast(from For the Horde!)
This list will give you at least 12% hit including talents, 383-245 spell power, and approx 107 crit rating (at 14 crit rating = 1% crit this amounts to approx 17.6% crit with talents)
Raid tactics
Your "rotation" is going to be pretty simple to start. Until you start reaching adequate gear levels, your rotation is going to be lb, lb, lb and flameshock to keep up the dot. Searing totem is an increase to your dps, but do not place yourself in harms way to get it in range. Dead dps is no dps. Never use chain lightning outside of an elemental focus proc as this spell is expensive and will make you go oom fast. It is advisable to not use chain lightning at all outside of aoe fights until you accumulate some gear. Higher levels of gear will increase the effectiveness of your Unrelenting Storm talent with increased intellect stores.

I am currently looking at raid gear and world dragon drops and will likely add them to future posts.
Feedback is welcome
Last edited by Guest on 09 Nov 2015 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

Banhammer

Re: Elemental Shaman Pre-Raid Bis and Talents

#2 » Post by Banhammer » 08 Nov 2015 20:17

Ran out of time b4 work. Will finish after with enchats

.kurthos

#3 » Post by .kurthos » 09 Nov 2015 02:47

Item Loading... is also a solid choice for helm slots.

Item Loading...

Item Loading...

Item Loading... (Melee DPS) and Item Loading... would work for rings as well.

Zeff007

#4 » Post by Zeff007 » 09 Nov 2015 15:15

I think the guide is innacurate and incomplete, dont get me wrong i appreciate to read it and to see the work put in.

If u dont post stat weight people will follow your stat priorities blindly, which is really dumb.
How do u know the stat priorities if u dont do the mats, im not sure hast is that useless, even if we dont have access to lot of this gear ( Infact i would like to know why for an ele shaman i would take +8 spell instead of 10 hast enchant).

For example we will do really easy calcul to have weight stat for an imaginary spell who damage 600-900 with 100 percent spell power ratio in a 3 sec cast time, there is 15 percent of damage modifier bonus by the talent, and critical bonus is 100 percent instead of 50 percent thanks to talent. The rotation will be only with this spell, so there is no gcd. Easy exemple just for understand the principe.

Stats are : Hitcapped (Yes we are on wotlk there is no more 1 percent uncompressed sorry) 400 spell 15 crit, 10 hast.

First calculate the average non crit/crit damage of this spell:

Noncrit: Crit:
600+900/2=750 1150x2 (100 percent)=2300
750+400=1150

We add the modifier (15 percent)

1150x1,15=1322.5
2300x1,15=2645

Then we can calculate the average dps:

[(0,15x2645) + (0,85x1322.5)]/2,97=421,17

Then u can play around and change stat and see the stat weight, beware of mana gain by crit (Which is not calculable).
You can add more spell to the equation, can add gcd inside if u instant spell on rotation... etc etc.
But stats weight is so much more important than just stat priorities with vanilla gear, stat priorities is good for xpac like cata. Gear in vanillla is too imbalanced.

The most important is the equivalence with that stat with an other. Your understanding about gear will just increase a lot. Blindly follow what other say isnt good, for stat priorities, or gear. For example people who said at first that the 23 sp cape in zg was shit, they are so wrong, u can have better ring than band of servitude before raid and people actually consider band of servitude as good item on zg, u cant have better cape than this one before raid.

Do stats weight banhammer please ;)
Numberx

Banhammer

#5 » Post by Banhammer » 12 Nov 2015 00:52

This is good feedback. I am still familiarizing myself with wrath in general, and this server isnt really helping that. Im working on an updated draft on my computer right now. Hope to have it up soon.

moyia

#6 » Post by moyia » 12 Nov 2015 00:54

Have found this guide (for wotlk 3.3.5) and was considering if you can change the macros to fit our server and limitations.

http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php ... aman-Guide

Also i have to sugest Mannual of Cronwd Pummeler as a weapon that gives 50% haste at level 60 for 30 seconds (1 hour cd) for specific fights since you can Change weapons in Fight.