Enh' or Ele?

perkydon

Enh' or Ele?

#1 » Post by perkydon » 15 Sep 2014 02:42

So, I've recently thought about rolling a Shaman for the first ever time.
I normally roll rogue and have mained rogue for some years now, and so this'll be a radical change.
What I wanted to know is, what is the better one to roll taking into account this patch along with any bugs TrueWoW has for Shamans.

Thanks in advance.

Etro
Honorary Member

Re: Enh' or Ele?

#2 » Post by Etro » 15 Sep 2014 02:54

There are no "my god, I can't play like this" bugs in shaman talents, as far as I know, so you can take w/e spec you want. But, the right answer is enhancement.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Vaxsysl

#3 » Post by Vaxsysl » 15 Sep 2014 03:53

I haven't really spent my time around shamans a lot, but if you're enjoying PvP on rogue, all three specs will suit you fine. You said Ele or Enh, well, Enh is more of your style then since you enjoy melee, buuut I think that you'd enjoy Elemental more. What are you enjoying about rogue the most, and what do you find it lacking?
Fern / Gaidin (and other alts)

ilyailyailya

#4 » Post by ilyailyailya » 15 Sep 2014 08:26

Ok so:
Ele is considered a way better DPS than Enh, in PvE terms. However my pve dps is actually enh, because fuck the numbers, I find it fun to play enh and I can pull a decent dps, I chose fun, not a few thousands more in DPS penis meters.
For PvP, both are good. I never did Ele PvP but I saw many of them.
From what I gather:

Survivability-wise ele has more heals, but way less moments to use them, enh has maelstrom weapon so he can insta heal-wave himself, but that heal wave wouldn't be as good as ele's heal wave. Ele can also root with earthbind, knock back with thunderstorm, etc.

Enh has Shamanistic Rage, which reduces 30% of the damage taken, however it is mostly used for the mana it gives. And Feral Spirit, it's the number one skill to survive, and enha has it. Not only they heal for A LOT, they have a buff that gives you movement speed, and if you time it correctly you can use it twice before your wolves fade. The buff, as soon as you click on it, removes all movement impairing effects (all slow&root effects) and gives you a huge speed boost. Along with this they have a VERY nice damage, I remember they did 50% of a pve smourne war with full 277 when I fought him. Did I also mention they stun? Yep, they stun.

Both shams have the insta-ghost wolf morph (there's a talent for it it enha, so the spirit wolf morph becomes instant) which is useful for running away (and for both shams getting behind a corner and taking a moment to heal) and to chase random pussies like hunters (which are so darn easy to kill as enh, you won't believe it.)

Both of them have Earthbind, Wind Shear, Grounding Totem, glyphed stoneclaw totem, tremor totem, resistance totems, etc.

However, even with all those nice treats in, you'll mostly be the #1 target in arenas, and if there's a good war or a rogue there, or a warlock, consider yourself dead. In arena you must make them aggro on your other partner usually, and then take the moment, use all CD's and WTFPWN some guy. So you'll have to be very careful at arenas if you're playing a sham.

Damage-wise it goes like this:
Ele, he always does VERY big damage, also ignores armor, so if you can stand behind some plater while he's attacking your friend, you can kill him in no time.

For enh it's different. Sometimes he can pull a truckload of damage in a single hit, truckload of damage for 10 hits, crap damage for the whole fight, etc. It depends on RNG. I remember a BG where I come to a 80 dru with full 78 pvp set, with 16 or 17k hp. I was rele geared back then with 251 weps. He had 100% hp, I just hitted him once with Stormstrike and he died.
On the other hand there's a chance that if you hit that same dr00d, you'll only do 40-50% of his hp. And when you face people with good resilience (and armor!) it becomes worse.

For anticlasses I don't know much ele-wise, but for enha:
Healers ofc are hard to kill, for everyone. But they can't do shit for you, you can just heal any damage they did and when you run out of mana (it'll take you a long while) use shama rage and refill. In the end THEY will be the ones running out of mana. If you play properly ofc.
Rogues will 99% kill you.
Wars will 98% kill you, too.
For locks it's 50/50. Depends on skill and gear.
Spriests have a small chance of killing you, but they have it. You must play properly against them.
Hunters are LOOOOOOOOL
Ele shams if you know your shit are a mostly easy.
Palas are mostly hard, but possible.
DK's a lot of times are a joke. Altho if you're an ele you can press the leave arena button as soon as you encounter an UDK
Druids are easy. If you survive the cat's stealth combos (and you should survive them really) then this druid is dead. For boomkins its only hard at starfall phase, you must get someone to stun them.
Mages should mostly be easy too, remember to save trinket for Deep Freeze. (and if they're not frost they're just a joke, altho some fire mages did kill me, but they were way more geared.)

To conclude:
For PvE, ele is more effective, enh *might* be more fun to you. It depends on your style.
PvP, there's no better option, they all depend. Go look up some 3.3.5a videos of ele's and enh's, try making one, see how it goes, etc.
Truewow:

Horde:
Volkolak[ Shaman] {70}
Headquake [Shaman] {80}
Xcell [Rogue] {80}
Alliance
Skuletik[Death Knight] {80}
Devana [Hunter] {80}

Primeevil wow:

Horde Thorbjorn [Hunter] {60}

Lordaeron:

Skadi/Velastra (velastra got scammed) aka therberg aka jewberg aka ked aka hime aka scotty

perkydon

#5 » Post by perkydon » 15 Sep 2014 08:39

Wow, man. I appreciate the time you took the answer and I'll be sure to revert back to it when and if I need to.
For the most part I think I'm going to try out the caster side, as I spent way too much time PvPing on a rogue. I think I'll stick with some PvE for now!
Thanks everyone for the answers! :D

Eisen
Donor

#6 » Post by Eisen » 15 Sep 2014 09:48

In WotLK Enhance is always the better option (and more fun to play, you actually need skill, unlike many other DPS specs, not to mention enhancing totems not being a too sacrificial talent to spec into, other physical dps will love you). Unfortunately Trinity suffers from some horrid bugs in the spec that lower it's DPS to that equal to, or less than Ele's.

A list of them:
Totems are considered pets (they shouldn't be, but this results in Magma totem not benefitting from your spellpower)
All pets are nerfed (Feral Spirit should be an epic DPS boost, now it's "so so" and the glyph is useless)
Windfury proc rate is at around 14% when it should be 20% (22 with glyph)
Maelstrom Weapons buff doesn't always get removed on Lightning Bolt cast (Normally you'd think this is cool, probably in pvp, but in pve you need to lose the buff asap so you can keep up the t10 4p set bonus proc, not to mention it ruins the rotation)
Lava Lash does less damage than auto attack (not actually sure if this is a bug, never looked into it. But for an attack that's supposed to have 100% armpen the damage seems super-meh)
Last edited by Eisen on 15 Sep 2014 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183

ilyailyailya

#7 » Post by ilyailyailya » 15 Sep 2014 09:59

Hehe, the Maelstrom Weapon with Lightning Bolt bug is so funny but also annoying.
I guess it happens because unlike Hex, heals, and Chain Lightning it doesn't hit instantly, it takes the bolt to fly a little while even if you're very close to your target, and while it flies the maelstrom buff is still on, and before it lands you proc it once more, refreshing it and making the lightning bolt hit not consume it while it should. Same would happen if Maelstrom weapon would work with Lava Burst, like in MoP.
About the first three bugs, can someone confirm?
Truewow:

Horde:
Volkolak[ Shaman] {70}
Headquake [Shaman] {80}
Xcell [Rogue] {80}
Alliance
Skuletik[Death Knight] {80}
Devana [Hunter] {80}

Primeevil wow:

Horde Thorbjorn [Hunter] {60}

Lordaeron:

Skadi/Velastra (velastra got scammed) aka therberg aka jewberg aka ked aka hime aka scotty

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Kindzadza » 15 Sep 2014 10:05

When you are 80 best would be to roll Restoration for easier gearing in ICC while simultaneously getting some DPS gear. On your question, I think Elemental is more damage output with end gear, but I may be wrong since not many people play Enh around to compare DPS. :)

For PvP, any spec is great - it just depends on your style.

SyntaxError
Former Staff

#9 » Post by SyntaxError » 15 Sep 2014 13:08

ilyailyailya wrote:Hehe, the Maelstrom Weapon with Lightning Bolt bug is so funny but also annoying.
I guess it happens because unlike Hex, heals, and Chain Lightning it doesn't hit instantly, it takes the bolt to fly a little while even if you're very close to your target, and while it flies the maelstrom buff is still on, and before it lands you proc it once more, refreshing it and making the lightning bolt hit not consume it while it should. Same would happen if Maelstrom weapon would work with Lava Burst, like in MoP.
About the first three bugs, can someone confirm?
Seems not all of them are yet transferred over to the Bugtracker from the old site (Should probably roll up my sleeves and do something about that... soon™. Or some player could!), but here you go:
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=10515
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11250
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=10550
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=10404

For the enterprising spirit there are other's listed, but to my knowledge they wouldn't make much of an impact and the others, someone can go confirm and report them! Or report and have them confirmed?
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka

Eisen
Donor

#10 » Post by Eisen » 15 Sep 2014 13:13

ilyailyailya wrote:Hehe, the Maelstrom Weapon with Lightning Bolt bug is so funny but also annoying.
Enhance does most of it's DPS at melee range, and GCD is at 1 sec normally, that means that you can't cast 2 within the span of that travel time, besides that wouldn't work (tried on mage's Hot Streak proc). That aside, I have cast it 3-4 times in a row, something is definitely broken.
bnet: Eisen#2183

Belthezar

#11 » Post by Belthezar » 15 Sep 2014 14:47

Enhancement!

Unless you want to snore while pve-ing, then go ele :D
Check out my WTB list all you silent farmers out there!
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13204

Reaper4vp
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Reaper4vp » 15 Sep 2014 16:52

Windfury's proc rate is working fine. There aren't any terribly crippling bugs when it comes to either specs. I'd roll enhancement for more fun :D

Justicelight
Donor

#13 » Post by Justicelight » 15 Sep 2014 16:56

Hey there. Here is my opinion:

PvP

Enhancement: Savage fighter taught to follow Thrall's path in unleashing nature forces upon enemies. The burst of the spec is effective but it comes with several bugs which nerfs the full potential of the spec. Play it if you are trully dedicated to the class and spec.

Elemental: Very big burst, one of the highest bursting classes WOTLK gave birth to. While enhancement has windfury procs, ele shaman has talents which increases the damage of abilities by shadowing and proccing aditional spell attacks on the targets. Also the big advantage of an ele is that they can control their burst efectively due to ranged abilities which has fly time and some which lands right after cast ended (Lava Burst > Lightning Bolt > Chain Lightning, first two having fly time, at max range both of them landing almost in same time while your Chain Lightning instantly strikes the target, followed by a Frost Shock).

PvE

Enhancement: Nowadays living in the shadows of Warriors, Paladins and Hunters in the dps charts. There are raid leaders who care how much dps you can pull before they give you a raid invite, but if you are in a nice guild you can be understood that you want to have fun with the spec while giving your best which can be enough motivation to get invited in raids. As for gearing, try to gear it as offspec unless you are very dedicated to this.

Elemental: Very cool in PvE, can bring a nice support in some fights and at first sight it can be very attractive to play. However, after a certain time, I dont know about you, I find it boring. It also has the disadvantage of requiring to not move often in order to throttle your full dps, so if you move a lot your dps is going to be affected greatly.

For PvP and PvE as resto, saving people is always nice. I recommend you to play resto in pvp if two of your heart's halfs are warmed with a protective spirit towards others, hehe.

Have fun <3
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Zan

#14 » Post by Zan » 16 Sep 2014 10:57

Enh if you have balls
Ele if you wanna derp around
Zan Zanny Zanney

ribbaribbahey

#15 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 04 Nov 2014 09:14

Zan wrote:Enh if you have balls
Ele if you wanna derp around
Lol +1.
Whatever first spec you will choose, I suggest you to play resto as second spec in pvp just to notice what annoys healers, so you can replicate.

Ribbaz - 2300 2v2 Enhancement
Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire
Cazzuto - Arms PvE / 1950 2v2
Dextr - Blood Dps PvE / Frost "priority list" Dps PvE
Ribba - Beast Mastery PvP / Survival PvE

My Enhancement PvP guide