PVE Assassination rogue

Ortaega
Donor

PVE Assassination rogue

#1 » Post by Ortaega » 29 Jul 2016 09:35

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm Ortaega. Have been on the server for a while now playing as Rogue and to be honest had more assistance on this server thus far than from any server and allot of the people are nice and patient here. Especially Bakiz and the guys in the guild from Ascension.

I was hoping I could ask for some input from the True Wow Community.

Currently I'm Playing Assassination Rogue 51/18/2
http://www.truewow.org/armory/character ... ga&realm=t

My dps is quite terrible for some reason and I can't determine 100% if I'm lacking due to messing up with my rotations

I average between 5.8K - 6.9K and sometimes get till 9k Max.
My rotation are as follows:
Stealth
Garrote
Hunger For Blood

Slice and Dice
Mutilate till 5 Combo Points
Envenom

and repeat
Mutilate till 5 Combo Points
Envenom

With this exact same rotation I used to get insane and more constant DPS around 9k on previous server with similar gear,enchants and gemming and this leads me to think that that server possible had a bug that increased my dps or that I might be slacking now or that there is a possible bug here on Assassination Rogue.

Will really appreciate your honest input and opinions. just wanna set my mind at ease :)

mcheka

Re: PVE Assassination rogue

#2 » Post by mcheka » 29 Jul 2016 14:04

I believe that rogues have some bugs on the server that makes them do significantly less damage than they should in relation to other classes, and in particular Assassination rogues. While they should blow combat out of the water before very high gear, it's not the case on TrueWoW. In 3.3 in retail, rogues were the top DPS class along with Fire Mages, excepting Shadownourne warriors. We don't see this on TrueWoW. I'm not sure what the nature of the bugs are though, if I'm right at all. That said, I do have a few notes:

You want to maximize uptime on Envenom, which means most of the time you'll want to Mutilate at 4cp unless you see your Energy pooling (you'll get more 5cp Envenoms as your gear improves).

A faster offhand (1.30 or 1.40 ideally) would be best, in which case you'd switch to using Instant Poison on your MH and Deadly on the OH. There's one from ICC 5 mans with ilvl 232, that's both lower than yours and has worse stats, but is still likely a DPS gain (would have to use Adriana's spreadsheet to know for sure, although ironically Adriana's is missing that dagger plus possibly some of your other gear -- if you're interested I could provide some assistance in adding the missing items to the spreadsheet).

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think blue gems are not worth activating. Just use one nightmare tear in your best blue socket (chest I guess) to activate your meta and ignore socket colours for other items with blue sockets.

Remember to Vanish + Garrote on every cooldown for the Overkill buff. Remember to use Cold Blood on every cooldown.

DPS varies on the fight too. Mutilate specs tend to be worse on fights involving lots of target switching, and they mostly suck for AoE. Positioning and deciding when to switch targets, etc matters a lot for assassination specs -- there is a very big penalty to screwing up, so this could be part of it. You wanna make sure whatever you're attacking has 5 stacks of deadly poison and the Envenom debuff.

If you're doing all this, then it sounds like you're doing everything right, and it might be an issue with rogues on TrueWoW. I suspect this is the case. I changed from assassination to combat when I was around 5,7k GS on my own rogue and saw an inexplicable but significant DPS gain.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Ortaega
Donor

#3 » Post by Ortaega » 29 Jul 2016 14:42

Thank you Very much for your Detailed response Mcheka.

Would appreciate your assistance with the spreadsheet!

Will also make sure I more promptly use Vanish + Garrote as I tend not to always do this part and try get a fast offhand and sort out the gemming. If all still fails after this I will then also attempt the Combat rogue switch until this is sorted. Never played Combat before Mostly played assassin but am sure won't be too much of a hassle to change, just don't have all I want to use that spec yet.

Justicelight
Donor

#4 » Post by Justicelight » 29 Jul 2016 15:18

Hey there,

Not playing around anymore but I can give you some advice.

1) Fix your enchants, gems according to spreadsheet (https://www.ulozto.net/!YsQwWasS/mutilate-1-3-4-xls).
2) There is a balance between hit and crit if you want to make the most out of your gear (For example: if you go a lot over your auto attacks hit cap you will need somehow to get more critical rating -> more hit, more chances to hit, more chances to normal hit, and you cover that chance to normal hit by increasing your critical strike rating. You will see your crit chance in top right of spreadsheet page, if it gets red, you need to get more hit in order to make the most out of your current stats.
3) Spec: http://www.truewow.org/armory/talentcal ... ,0&realm=t
This is the spec I was playing my assa rogue (18.5k dps at saurfang).
I never had the chance but you can do this (only if you raid with a retribution paladin in raid): Switch Vigor glyph with Envenom glyph, Remove 3 points from Master Poisoner and put them into Turn the Tables + Cut to the chase.

4) On truewow, with BiS gear, double 1.4 speed with deadly on MH and instant on OH does more dps than 1.8/1.4 weapon setup, I assume due to higher energy generation through gear haste and weapon speed and deadly OH application rate which I think its buggy here. (example: Double Lungbreaker do more dps than LK 25hc dagger/Lungbreaker)

5) Do mutilate when you Vanish for Overkill, you can also do Mutilate when you open from stealth for a boss fight, just trust me on this.
I open like this: Stealth, Muti, Envenom, HungerforBlood, continue 4 CP - Envenom combo, refresh Hunger for Blood, redo.

6) If you have problems with Mr. Ruth (check Ruthlessness talent), which is the main reason why dps drops for assa rogue even when not moving, try to use Trick of the Trades only when you see that the talent failed to proc aka you did Mutilate and you are low energy and have only 2 cp on target.

7) Have fun.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Ortaega
Donor

#5 » Post by Ortaega » 04 Aug 2016 09:06

Thank you Justicelight,

Only saw reply now. Will be sorting my setup out tonight and use your advise and see the difference I get in dps.

Thank you for the Spreadsheet and effort in assisting me with this!

Looking forward in assisting raids better with dps now :D