Advantages and Disadvantages of Disc/Holy? (Priest) PvE

Etro
Honorary Member

Re: Advantages and Disadvantages of Disc/Holy? (Priest) PvE

#31 » Post by Etro » 11 Feb 2013 19:49

That's why i glyped Renew... I don't know what was your personal experience but... I had a much easier time healing with Holy than Disc with weak gear.
It is stil not as fast and powerful enough. It is good to fill HP with no incomming damage to worry about HP being full fast.
Inspiration is a Holy talent that hpriests get too...
Yes, but it is pretty much the only damage reduction talent holy gets to have. Disc has Divine Aegis, Renewed Hope, Improved PW:S, and it gets to have inspiration. I was just stacking up damage reduction talents.
Divine Aegis only procs on crits that you won't get often with low gear.
It will still proc often enough. Specially with Renewed Hope and focused will if someone chooses it.
Lets do some math here. With some numbers that I remember from my 4k gs days.

Renewed Hope = 3% damage reduction.

PW: S absorbs 4k maybe on low gear and costs 600 mana in disc. That's 2 ticks of Renew which costs 500 mana. Renew can crit for 1st tick (Empowered Renew).

GH costs 1k mana but heals 10k on holy. It heals 7k on disc and costs 1.2k mana. GH crits for 15k on holy, and on disc it crits for 10k + 3k divine aegis = 13k.

Rapture only can occur once every 12 sec, or rather 15 sec if you are only using it on the tank. With 15k mana (being low geared), that's ~400 mana per 12 sec or 33.3 mp5. Not bad I suppose.

Spiritual Healing improves healing by 10%. Test of Faith by 12% with target below 50% hp. Both Holy tree. Compared to 4% from Focused Power and 10% from Grace on disc. Grace is also single target.

Crit chance increased by 7% for targets with Weakened soul debuff for disc. Without debuff 3%.

Mental Strength increases Intellect by 15% i.e. 15k mana --> 18k. Better than Spirit of Redemption's 5% spirit increase.

Power Infusion reduces mana costs by 20% and has a cd of 1.6 min. Guardian Spirit increases healing received by 40% and glyphed, has a cd of 1 min 10 sec, unless it saves your tank's life in which case it has a cd of 3 min.

Pain Suppression reduces damage taken by 40%, but also reduces threat by 5%.

Holy has CoH. Disc has to rely on PoH for aoe heals. PoM in dungeons isn't amazing. CoH also frequently procs Flash of Light.
The true difference here are made by Rapture and Mental Strenght. With rapture giving 33.3 mp5 and 2.5% of total mana when PW:S is absorbed, and the 15%+ of intellect with Mental Strength only gives you more freedom to use more spells without worrying too much about your mana. Plus, disc has much more damage absorption, which makes your need to heal less. Eventually making you use even less mana and giving the whole group more survavility. Both essential when you're low geared and can't rely much on tanks gear's and yours.
I'm not gonna add em up. Every1 has different experiences and playing styles anyway. I found holy much better and easier to use. In disc you can do well if you make use of your cooldowns i guess. Inner Focus, Power Infusion, Pain Suppression... But I'm much too lazy to do that and players new to priests wouldn't know how to use them well too.
It's not that hard. They are only 3 CDs and it is very easy to know when you need to use them.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

innocentguy

Re: Advantages and Disadvantages of Disc/Holy? (Priest) PvE

#32 » Post by innocentguy » 11 Feb 2013 21:10

I think it has really come down to different play styles XD.

What I experienced was that the increased healing amounts of holy did way more for me than the damage mitigation I got from disc. That is with low gear and even now for 5-mans. In holy I could keep the entire party alive even with 4k gs and silly tanks and silly dps. I just couldn't do it in disc.

If it was just tank healing then I was alright. When the entire party was taking damage... Beyond shielding everyone, after the shields pop I'm totally left with just PoH which is totally mana inefficient. Perhaps I suck at using disc for 5-mans... Or I used holy way too much as I was leveling.
No one is simply entitled to anything in this world.
Whatever you want, you have to earn, be it money, respect or love.
[/color]
My Innocents:

Innocentguy - Priest ( Shadow / Discipline )
Innocence - Shaman ( Elemental / Restoration )
InnocentIcon - Death Knight ( Blood {Tank} / Unholy {DPS} )
Innocentshot - Hunter ( Marksmanship / Survival )
Innocentone - Druid ( Restoration / Feral {DPS} )
Innocenthope - Paladin ( Retribution / Holy )
~ In the end, Innocence is Brilliant ~