Priest Hints 'N' Tips

Pez

Priest Hints 'N' Tips

#1 » Post by Pez » 24 Jun 2010 23:33

Hello fellow WoWers!

I will update this post as I get questions. Having had major experience with this class, I'm here to share any tips and answer any questions you may have about the class, anything from dungeon/raid tips, talent builds, equipment guides, or anything else you can think of!

I'll start :)

Leveling a Priest

Is a priest a viable solo class?

Oh yes. Priest DPS has received a large boost since the game was launched, killing things fast is easy and mana is not really an issue past lvl 12 (Spirit Tap ftw!).

But I heard Priests' suck until they get Shadowform?

Lies.

Uh.. but isn't Shadow for killing stuff?

Yes, but you can do more DPS as Holy for a large proportion of the game. More efficient too.

OMFG j00 suX0rs Holy DPS LOLOLOLOL!!11

OK well pre-3.3 you might be right but Holy DPS is THE way to level now really. Once you get to level 20 and get Holy Fire and start gettting some Talents in, your DPS starts growing quite a lot.

Take level 30 for example. By this point your talent build should look something like this:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bZfxt00bZh

Spirit Tap allows you to move from mob to mob without needed to drink usually. 5% extra crit on your main damage spells gives a nice boost to your DPS (Holy Fire, Smite) and an extra 10% damage is also good and scales nicely as you level your spells and increase your gear. Improved renew is usually the only spell you'll need to heal yourself combined with shield, and healing focus is great for making sure you dont die when you're getting hit by a hard mob, or taking on Elites or 3-4 levels higher mobs. Making sure you get that Heal off and not a corpse run is invaluable! Finally, Desperate Prayer has saved many a priests life more than once.

tbc... knackered and going to bed....

Pez

Re: Priest Hints 'N' Tips

#2 » Post by Pez » 24 Jun 2010 23:37

reserved...

Sarcofagus

#3 » Post by Sarcofagus » 19 Oct 2010 03:47

Yur lv 30 priest with talents like you showed us with link can't dps a shit...

Kraith
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Kraith » 25 Oct 2010 07:13

It's because all wowhead talent links are broken because wowhead moved to 4.x.x. Is there a site with a 3.3.5 calculator left? I can't find one...
Kraith - RIP Maelstrom - 80 Troll Huntard
Retired GM, Inactive from game/forum

Roel
Founder

#5 » Post by Roel » 25 Oct 2010 15:35

You can use our own calculators in the armory :D
The only problem I have is using links to the old wowhead calculator. I don't understand how wowhead converts the chosen talents into an url but I understand how our armory does, just like the retail armory.

peacelover

#6 » Post by peacelover » 29 Oct 2010 16:29

yeah if ya want to do some quick leveling i guess it would be good to go holy and dps with the holy fire as main skill... i find my game more fun playing Disci priest all the way :) it is more of a slowpoke in killing stuff but still is more challanging ;D i guess it depends on the way all of us play >_>

Universe

#7 » Post by Universe » 25 Feb 2011 19:51

Shadow spec is the way to go for max dps, mana and mob to mob movement..

Also at 60+ you can go disc for dps but holy is just not for dps spec.. it's pure healing based even tho it has some talents that give help to holy dps but it's not possible..

DPS should be done in shadow spec or disc..

Warpath

#8 » Post by Warpath » 11 Mar 2011 18:25

shadow priest rocks in PVP and leveling :D :D :D

Elderon

#9 » Post by Elderon » 13 Mar 2011 04:21

Holy blows for lvling. sorry to rain on your parade but go shadow all the way for lvling and even at BGs. Holy is only for healing and should stay that way. dont give priests a bad name lol.

gojiira
Donor

#10 » Post by gojiira » 23 Mar 2011 19:56

Pfft, holy spec is a total buttkicker.

holy fire, shadow word, then smite till win.
stack int for your crits and it's gravy from there.

(+spell dmg items also help a lot here...never forget those ones)

as for pvp, if you can outlast them through attrition...you win.

as for shadow...yeah, big lol there.

nothing ingame blocks holy damage. maybe a potion that sinks a few hundred damage. but any smart priest can crush that tiny buffer and still rain smites afterwards.
Fyrestorm - Demonologist
Baandage - Shadow Priest
Darkusthour - Survival/MM Hunter
Betrayal - Arcane Magus

For The Horde!!

Arraj

#12 » Post by Arraj » 26 Oct 2011 12:56

gojiira wrote:Pfft, holy spec is a total buttkicker.

holy fire, shadow word, then smite till win.
stack int for your crits and it's gravy from there.

(+spell dmg items also help a lot here...never forget those ones)

as for pvp, if you can outlast them through attrition...you win.

as for shadow...yeah, big lol there.

nothing ingame blocks holy damage. maybe a potion that sinks a few hundred damage. but any smart priest can crush that tiny buffer and still rain smites afterwards.
Your holy pvp ideas are "good" but they can't compare to a true pvp oriented shadow priest... Silence, Mind Flay, Devouring Plague with instant damage over 2k sometimes even on good geared players, Improved Spirit Tap (when crited regain mana IN COMBAT) Mind Blast can also regain mana in combat when crited, 2 fears ;) Vampiric Embrace...

Your pvp holy would be just a good sparring partner for my pvp shadow...
I use holy/disc. for healing and nothing else but healing... shadow priest is second version of affliction warlock...

Sheena of the Warsong Clan

Bored with 80lv content? Check out my level 19 character guide.
New to server and need some cash? Check this out and make some easy gold

innocentguy

#13 » Post by innocentguy » 25 Dec 2012 20:50

I feel that leveling in shadow is alot easier... I had no problems with any mobs (even elites) when leveling in shadow and my priest was my first ever WoW toon... Vampiric embrace allows you to auto heal yourself while fighting and with glyph of shadow word: pain (gives 1% of your max mp per tick) that means zero downtime. If the glyph is not enough you can always use shadowfiend and back comes your mana. Mind flay even slows mobs = less damage taken.

P.S. Get meditation (tier 3 disc) It is a must if not you will keep running out of mp.
No one is simply entitled to anything in this world.
Whatever you want, you have to earn, be it money, respect or love.
[/color]
My Innocents:

Innocentguy - Priest ( Shadow / Discipline )
Innocence - Shaman ( Elemental / Restoration )
InnocentIcon - Death Knight ( Blood {Tank} / Unholy {DPS} )
Innocentshot - Hunter ( Marksmanship / Survival )
Innocentone - Druid ( Restoration / Feral {DPS} )
Innocenthope - Paladin ( Retribution / Holy )
~ In the end, Innocence is Brilliant ~