Hello. Introduction and a Question.

xXToYeDXx

Hello. Introduction and a Question.

#1 » Post by xXToYeDXx » 07 Apr 2015 23:02

I'm new to TrueWoW (Not new to WoW though). I used to play retail in a top tier 10 man progressive raiding guild. In 10 man we were constantly shifting between first, second and third place. Competition was stiff as there were some great guilds competing with us for that top spot. I play mainly PvE Disc Priest but I also dable in Prot Pally and Frost DK for tanking and Shadow Priest and Ret Pally for DPS. But I mainly heal because I prefer playing a support role. If you're wondering we were an alliance guild called "Acceptable Losses" on the Dalaran realm. (Not Dalaran-WoW, I mean the retail realm)

I quit playing WoW shortly after they had updated to 4.0.1 and before they officially released Cata. As soon as I seen what they had done to character customization (like talents and trees) I knew I was going to hate it. For me, WoTLK was and still is the best WoW expansion. It gave us awesome raid content like Ulduar, awesome new spells and abilities and a proper PvE balance between all classes. It was the ONLY time you could say "Bring the player, not the class".

But I have played several WoTLK private servers and they all seem to have the same problem. Priests don't scale properly while leveling. I just came off Dalaran-WoW, and although they have far more working quest scripts then most (not including TrueWoW in that analysis because I haven't played enough TrueWoW to make that claim), I could only hit about level 12 before my PW:Shield wasn't lasting as long as it did in retail WoTLK, I'm going OOM after 2 mob pulls, melee mobs are ignoring the armor boost from Inner Fire, caster mobs are severely OP and tearing through my shield in one hit...etc. Essentially the problem is the Priest class isn't scaling properly while leveling. Now I've levelled a priests from 1 - 80 on retail so I know how they should scale and I'm worried this trend will continue to the point where I can't even finish a single mob before I OOM and then die once I hit level 19-20.

I want to know how the priest scales while leveling on TrueWoW. Can I expect a more balanced leveling experience? Or will I run into the same issue?

Baler

Re: Hello. Introduction and a Question.

#2 » Post by Baler » 07 Apr 2015 23:08

Welcome to Truewow!

I'm in the process of leveling a priest here and I've never had an issue with finishing mobs or survival. Shadow talent Priest is the way to level a priest.
Spirit Tap is amazing at reducing the down time of drinking. http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculator#bZZG

This is where I am at with my talent tree and things are going smoothly. http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculator#bZZG0fmofzr

xXToYeDXx

#3 » Post by xXToYeDXx » 07 Apr 2015 23:14

Baler wrote:Welcome to Truewow!

I'm in the process of leveling a priest here and I've never had an issue with finishing mobs or survival. Shadow talent Priest is the way to level a priest.
Spirit Tap is amazing at reducing the down time of drinking. http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculator#bZZG

This is where I am at with my talent tree and things are going smoothly. http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculator#bZZG0fmofzr
Thanks for the reply.

How often do you have to drink? How much damage are you taking from melee mobs? Is it manageable to the point where you need to drink once every 4 or 5 mobs, or is it after every mob?

Baler

#4 » Post by Baler » 07 Apr 2015 23:19

xXToYeDXx wrote: Is it manageable to the point where you need to drink once every 4 or 5 mobs, or is it after every mob?
Yes it is!

Priest is a very mana expensive class so I can understand having trouble keeping mana up.
One of the largest keys to keeping mana up is Spirit on gear. Trust me,. Spirit > Stam / Int
High base spirit + spirit tap = huge mana regen for 15 seconds after landing a killing blow on a mob.
Last edited by Baler on 07 Apr 2015 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Sinnerly

#5 » Post by Sinnerly » 07 Apr 2015 23:26

hello and welcome

i don't know much about priests but i can tell you that the scripting is in good shape and the huge majority of the quests are working and only a few that you can find here aren't http://www.truewow.org/quest-completer

players / devs are doing the best they can to keep the server blizzlike one
Sinnerly - level 66 rogue (first char ever idk shit about rogues)
Sinnerx - level 80 warrior prot / fury
Maurelius - level 80 DK frost / unholy

xXToYeDXx

#6 » Post by xXToYeDXx » 07 Apr 2015 23:42

Baler wrote:
xXToYeDXx wrote: Is it manageable to the point where you need to drink once every 4 or 5 mobs, or is it after every mob?
Yes it is!

Priest is a very mana expensive class so I can understand having trouble keeping mana up.
One of the largest keys to keeping mana up is Spirit on gear. Trust me,. Spirit > Stam / Int
High base spirit + spirit tap = huge mana regen for 15 seconds after landing a killing blow on a mob.
On retail during WoTLK Spirit was nerfed to all hell so non-shaman casters were stacking Mana per 5 instead of spirit. Does this server have the same spirit nerfs or is it still scaling like it did in Vanilla and TBC?

Baler

#7 » Post by Baler » 07 Apr 2015 23:46

xXToYeDXx wrote:On retail during WoTLK Spirit was nerfed to all hell so non-shaman casters were stacking Mana per 5 instead of spirit. Does this server have the same spirit nerfs or is it still scaling like it did in Vanilla and TBC?
You'll still want to do mana per 5, but in the mean time Spirit is a priests best friend.
no comment on "spirit nerfs". All I can say is that this server is wotlk blizzlike. not vanilla, tbc, cata, etc.

belendor

#8 » Post by belendor » 08 Apr 2015 09:19

welcome anyway, i know shit about priests, but lvling here is really nice, quests nicely scripted, ect
Belendor lvl 80 prot/holy paladin - The original

No need to mention the other paladins.

Best word in west flemish 'toetoet'

SomethingWitty

#9 » Post by SomethingWitty » 08 Apr 2015 14:47

Just finished levelling a priest a few weeks ago and i can tell you that you will have mana issues during the early levels (15-23) but not as severe as the case you mentioned. It also depends a lot on what rotation you use, early levels just holy fire+smite+wand don't bother with dots. Best advice i can offer is that i played a 11/x/3 spec with 3/3 spirit tap and 1/3 meditation and the rest in holy talents, and then switched to shadow when i reached lv40.

Like the guy above said get +spirit because you won't be seeing any gear with mp5 on it any time soon.

As for caster mobs i have never noticed them being OP, easier to handle than melee mobs tbh.
"he cant even base a shit + he is worst pvp player in here and he tells us we are bad in pvp this is nonesense its like Englez will say that virdo is bad in leading raids and in pve and after virdo asks him why he say that and for what reason englez will say 'i dont want to destroy your statements ive been there done that etc' "-Balanced 2015

Eisen
Donor

#10 » Post by Eisen » 08 Apr 2015 14:57

Luster had some surefire priest lvling method where you never oom. Personally when I leveled mine (4 years ago now?) I didn't know anything about stats, kiting, etc. yet so it was a nightmarish (but nostalgic!) grind.

Scaling works as it should as far as I know - never had anything 'tearing through' PW:S - unless you count trying to heal a raid in DPS spec (besides the point, I suppose)

(how the hell people claim to remember how "it should scale" from a xpac that's not been live for what, 6 years? is beyond me. If you've got scribbled down notes though, its cool. Try us out and compare, if there's an issue please stick it on the bugtracker so we can fix it and be awesome in that department too xP)

Otherwise, I bid thee Wilkommen
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183

belendor

#11 » Post by belendor » 08 Apr 2015 15:37

If he lvled a ton of priest he might know how things scaled :p
In my experience lvling my paladins i noticed things changing along the way.
Caster mobs were op as fk back in the day now they are fine. The 1 bug while lvling that still pisses me off tho are the mobs with pets in areas like tanaris, they folow you until u die or hs :p. But except that everything is freaking awsum atm :D

Eisen
Donor

#12 » Post by Eisen » 08 Apr 2015 16:30

belendor wrote:mobs with pets in areas like tanaris, they folow you until u die or hs :p
Haha, them voidwalkers free combatstuck for any desert pilgrim. ...unless you actually dismount and kill them, so much effort D:
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183

mcheka

#13 » Post by mcheka » 12 Apr 2015 05:00

I have two level 80 priests here, both of which I levelled myself. I never levelled a priest past 65 in WotLK retail though, and it's been too long to remember how it was then.

I can attest to the fact that levelling is a pain until you can get Shadowform, at which point you will no longer have any mana problems. Like others, I suggest doing everything possible to keep your mana regen high while levelling - it's more important than anything. PW:S is pretty much a waste of mana while levelling except for the rare occasion when you need to get a few casts off (i.e. VT a bunch of mobs, after you get VT) without being interrupted. It will last you long enough to kill 1-2 mobs though, before it breaks. The higher level you are, the more mobs you'll be able to chain pull. In Northrend, I usually pulled 4+ mobs every time, with DoTs on all of them.

While levelling, the PW:S scaling might be broken, or might not be. I think what you're really more worried about is whether or not it's broken at 80, and the answer is no. I've seen reports here and there report tiny discrepancies in the retail vs. TrueWoW formula, but at 80 the formulas are almost perfectly precise and shield scales properly with stats.

Regarding your other question about mp5 vs. spirit -- yes, that applies here. Near the end of retail, it's true that spirit was nerfed a bit relative to mp5, but in high gear for disc they were nearly equal. It's the same on TrueWoW. In lower gear, mp5 > spirit (for disc), but in higher gear spirit catches up and can surpass mp5. This is because the regen formula is proportional to spirit*sqrt(intellect), so the higher gear you have, the more intellect you'll have, and the better regen 1 point of spirit will be, whereas the regen value of mp5 stays constant even as you gear up.

Also, welcome to the server! Hope you can stand the pain that is priest levelling (until Outland anyway... then it just gets easier and easier).
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Rascall

#14 » Post by Rascall » 12 Apr 2015 13:49

For me, WoTLK was and still is the best WoW expansion. It gave us awesome raid content like Ulduar, awesome new spells and abilities and a proper PvE balance between all classes. It was the ONLY time you could say "Bring the player, not the class
Maybe offtopic but...I wonder where are the arms warriors, beast mastery hunters, subtlety rogues, frost mages and other badly optimized specs...I have to disagree...Up to cataclysm there were plently unviable specs. Cataclysm tried to address this and it actually managed (I dont recall any spec being not viable in pve since cataclysm and onwards. You enjoyed some spec...np u picked it and u could compete with any other spec. But ofc some specs were topping charts either)
Rascall Retribution/Holy
Rascallus Blood (tank)/Unholy (DPS)
Rascalluz Affliction/Demonology
Rascalles Feral (bear)/Balance
Rascallez Assassination
Rascallis Arms (DPS)/Arms (tank)
Razcall Marksmanship/Survival
Razcallus Fury/Protection
Razcalluz Feral (cat)/Restoration
Razcalles Combat/Subtlety
Razcaellez Beast Mastery
Razcaell Discipline/Holy
Razcaelllus Enhancement/Restoration
Razcaelluz Blood (DPS)/Frost (tank)
Razcaelles Elemental/Spellhance
Razcaellez Arcane/Frostfire
Rascaell Protection
Rascaellus Frost (DPS)/Unholy (tank)
Rascaelluz Fire/Frost
Rascaelles Shadow
Rascaellez Destruction

...and more...

belendor

#15 » Post by belendor » 12 Apr 2015 22:10

arms warr was used in ulduar and toc afaik, healing reduction general verzax, anub. BM, sub rogues can bring certain buffs to raid. but ye dmgwise they are lower than MM and combat rogues. about frost mage: it's more a pvp spec afaik :p