Shadow Priest Guide - End game gear

Justicelight
Donor

Re: Shadow Priest Guide - End game gear

#16 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 17:33

@Kindz

I tend to say that CTS > DFO on classes which don't rely mostly on dots. If I was to compare the HC CTS (Ruby sanctum trinket) over DFO hc I'd go with your way I guess. But with cts normal and full hc gear, I would go with DFO hc.

Back in the days when dots were updating the spellpower in real time, DFO was in his glorious day. Imagine keeping high spell power on dots and increasing it each 2 seconds for 20 seconds, marvelous. But now with the fixes applied, CTS hc I think wins.

You can control the DFO potential if you redo your dots when you get all the procs up (PNL, DFO, Ring, tailor (proff dependant)) but that takes a lot of skill to do, because you have to clip your dots right before they damaged, which requires a precast in the case of VT that you have to judge really fast during encounters. This case here, is quite similar as an affliction warlock when you are draining soul and want to redo dots, the best moment to do so is right after one of the Drain Soul damage occured during channeling.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Justicelight
Donor

#17 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 17:35

Thank you Fastor, I will put that up. As you can see, the first setup with BQ neck and Council ring, requires indeed hit enchant on boots if you didn't applied those.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#18 » Post by Kindzadza » 10 Mar 2015 17:44

Have you tested which outcome is better? I think I've tried with both and my DPS was better with the RS trinket, but many other factors rely on that.

Justicelight
Donor

#19 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 17:53

Have not tested, as I don't have the trinket or bis gear yet. Will see.

Fastor

#20 » Post by Fastor » 10 Mar 2015 18:03

Justicelight wrote:Thank you Fastor, I will put that up. As you can see, the first setup with BQ neck and Council ring, requires indeed hit enchant on boots if you didn't applied those.
Both pictures are without hit enchant on boots. Also l would like to bring this to discussion.

Combo with BQC gives 10.71% while other gives 11.36%. What lm saying here, you dont need to really 11% hit cap here. You can just lower it for 0.26% while increasing other stuff, such is haste. Really no point in pointing specific of this two, especially for this small hit difference.

Justicelight
Donor

#21 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 18:19

Indeed, the BQ neck setup might put you above haste cap, but still increase dps as you don't actually lose any spell power. Tehnically I think BQ neck setup is better but I would still go with gunship offsets since the boss is more accesible (BQ neck rarely drops :( ).

Hmm, and I think since we don't really have spell power enchant for boots, it will be nice to enchant the boots with spirit +18 and destroy one blue socket bonus and go for 23 sp in it, it will end up in something like:

+ 18 spirit from boots and -10 spirit from gem = 8 spirit = 4 spell power.
-5 sp from socket bonus and 4 spell power = -1 spell power
23 sp-12sp= 11 sp
11 sp - 1 sp= 10 spell power bonus (even more if you value 1spirit being more than 0.5 spell power) which is kinda equal to Bloodthistle.

So once you put 18 spirit enchant on boots, you can break one blue socket bonus.

Fastor

#22 » Post by Fastor » 10 Mar 2015 18:25

http://www.truewow.org/downloads/addons ... p-v1.3.zip

Feel free to test yourself. But yes you are right, neck and ring both are easier than BQC alone.

Justicelight
Donor

#23 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 18:27

Thankies.

mcheka

#24 » Post by mcheka » 10 Mar 2015 20:08

Nice guide JL, though it might be nice to add that the Dispersion glyph is better than the SW:P glyph at high gear levels because the passive regen doesn't matter from SW:P doesn't matter much any more, and having a much sooner defensive cooldown is great. This is in contrast to lower gear levels, where you might be worried about DPS, still have mana problems, but can't really afford the time spent in dispersion.

1269 haste cap only puts VT and Mind Blast at the GCD cap, the latter which you're not using at high gear levels anyway. This means that haste is actually still excellent beyond that point. It loses a bit of value, but it's still better than crit. I'll run SimCraft later to double-check this (and to see exactly how big the effect is), but there's no real cap achievable in WotLK gear for shadow priests. The BiS just happens to tend to this value anyway, but if there was some theoretical higher ilvl gear with more haste, it'd be worth taking.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

testeromir

#25 » Post by testeromir » 10 Mar 2015 20:35

Mind Flay has linear benefit from haste, so even after 1269 haste value is greater than crit.
Truewow:
Proghaan
Testera
Woden
Taman
Mudu
Testeram
Gemark
Frithell
Nibghaan

Primalwow:
Proghaan

Eisen
Donor

#26 » Post by Eisen » 11 Mar 2015 11:08

testeromir wrote:even after 1269 haste value is greater than crit.
Relative, not all fights are DBS's stand-n-spam - I know that DoTs are super-effective when dealing with adds or just when trying to avoid... well stuff the kills you. (Stick a VT on EVVERRYYYTHUUUUNG)
Justicelight wrote:Back in the days when dots were updating the spellpower in real time
Uhm, they still do? :| the only stat that no longer "updates" is crit - thus the fuss about using Inner Focus to boost SWP's crit carryover (Haste was the one that stopped carrying over, not SP). Or have I been horribly mistaken? (Which I doubt D:)
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183

Justicelight
Donor

#27 » Post by Justicelight » 11 Mar 2015 11:39

They do not. Feel free to test it. If you have your trinket proc up lets say, PNL, and you do VT 1 second before trinket proc faded, you keep that spell power in it for the whole duration. This keeping thing does not apply to % increase damage auras and they get included in the dot value in realtime. This is the advantage of it. The disadvantage is clear also, because your target is full of dots and you are mind flaying but only flay and shadow word pain benefit from it until you redo VT and Plague they won't get updated from spell power.

One tip, and its a rhumor to be honest, I heard that ToT from rogue, is carried within Shadow Word: Pain even if you refresh it through Mind Flay. Did not tested, will see.

testeromir

#28 » Post by testeromir » 11 Mar 2015 13:22

Yea ToT and Inner Focus, as crit modifiers, should be kept on SW:P. Similar for corruption mechanics for afliction locks.
Truewow:
Proghaan
Testera
Woden
Taman
Mudu
Testeram
Gemark
Frithell
Nibghaan

Primalwow:
Proghaan

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#29 » Post by Hansrutger » 11 Mar 2015 13:46

You forgot to add the off-hand from BPC as bis-list if that is the BiS for shadow priests, don't really play them but based on your stat choices that would be the one. You have the off-handed counted into your other pictures, just it's not stated there on the list. Good guide otherwise. ;D
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

Myaoming
Former Staff

#30 » Post by Myaoming » 11 Mar 2015 16:15

testeromir wrote:Yea ToT and Inner Focus, as crit modifiers, should be kept on SW:P. Similar for corruption mechanics for afliction locks.
ToT yes, but even though we all learned that DoTs carry Crit with them, Inner Focus seems to be an exception of some sort.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE