Server mentality on Disc Healers?

d0chaser

Server mentality on Disc Healers?

#1 » Post by d0chaser » 29 Dec 2014 22:03

I took this from a very old forum post. When I was still playing retail in 2012. I'm new to the server and brought a few old guildies with me. So I was wonder how this server views healers mainly Disc spec.

Since this looks way out of place it was a discussion about Disc healers and the way people view them.

Are the sought after? People think they are just PvP?

Coming from only playing Disc (lvling, end game and Arena) It's all based on the group and you be that 5, 10, 25-man. For some reason people (some not all) do have a problem with Disc healing. It's probability the same reason I have a problem healing a warrior, DK, Druid tank. I have been burned by them to many times. The Tank and DPS are the ones who control your Mana Pools and healing output. I ran with a great Pally tank and great DPS for 5 mans. I never had a issue with mana or keeping them healed. 10-mans I always healed the tank and OT and sometimes if the AOE heals needed some help. If I needed help with the OT since they normally when OOR I would have the AOE heals pick him up.

Most people do not fully understand the value of the Disc spec for PVE it's in a odd class of it's own. So when people don't understand it Disc because the easy to blame etc... I would challenge any small group to run 5-mans with a disc exclusively for awhile and start to learn the way the Disc really works. And for the Disc to learn how you work.

The downside to the Disc is that the gear is very very should I say weird. There is loads of ways you could go with your stats. I personally went with Int,SP, Haste or SP, Haste, Int it worked for my play style and group. I would recommend that anyone going Disc to play learn and create a healer that works great for you. Really helps if you have a group of good people to train with.

For me the Disc was not about getting the most healing output, it was making sure the group didn't die and we completed what we set out to do. The funniest thing I can remember was our guild taking other guilds and training them how to trust there healers. And to get away from the normal what is your GS, Gear, stats, spec mentality. I would rather fail and keep trying with a good group of people instead of dealing with what I call "Shitbuckets" that feel the need to tell me how to heal and play my class.

With all that being said if you don't like the day by day healing and the boring watching HP bars try a disc priest out. It is more of interactive style of healing. Specifically when shit hits the fan. I do think that DPS and Tank have to trust a disc healer more than other classes because we mitigate dmg from you. We are more proactively healing you and not response healing you. I never understood that till I played a Pally tank. haha

doc

Kindzadza
Former Staff

Re: Server mentality on Disc Healers?

#2 » Post by Kindzadza » 29 Dec 2014 22:18

We are playing with discipline priest almost in every raid. To be honest there is only one way to go with the stats and that is spell power (at least for gemming). The more spell power you have, the more damage the shield will absorb. Haste is a useless stats since your rotation most of the time would be to cast shields and PoM. Sometimes there would be a situation where you need to cast penance to a player who already lost the shield and it's low on health.

I really understand how the spec works in PvE so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I can see you haven't met the full potention of an end-game discipline priest. :P

Righteousness
Former Staff

#3 » Post by Righteousness » 29 Dec 2014 22:22

For disci priest, haste is always welcome untill a certain level. And that is the haste cap, which no longer reduces your gcd time after some point. Every disc should have decent haste or capped if he wants to output multiple shields in less time.

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Kindzadza » 29 Dec 2014 22:30

As a useless stat I meant no need to aim for anything in particular, but the amount of haste you get from gear. This is because disc priest don't need spirit either and they use the offsets for shadow spec.

Teraan

#5 » Post by Teraan » 29 Dec 2014 22:43

As Kindz said, you'll mostly see a disc healer in raid, especially in ICC, a very good support in ways of reducing DMG, the fast AoE dispell which atm is just owning at Faction Champions in ToC25hc and it's HARDLY doable without it, or giving a good burst to a healer/RDPS, little healing, and of course the bubbles, which are good everywhere, and come handy at bosses where you need tons of movement, such as LK HC in FM, Sindy in P2, Halion HC, PP etc. So yea, no need to worry, a disc priest is always welcome and mostly get his own spot into raids.
‡∆‡ My Characters: ‡∆‡
Teraan - Retribution PvE - PvP
Teraana - Discipline PvE - Holy PvE
Fatman - Balance PvE - Restoration PvE
Soomershaman - Restoration PvE - Enhancement PvE
Rmage - Fire PvE
Mahkarn - Survival PvE

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 29 Dec 2014 23:08

disc priest is always needed in every 25 man raid....
holy priest is also good, but sadly too few people play holy... so nobody is really looking for holy priests... but a holy priest could preety much rival with a resto shaman if not surpass it... I think, idk... they are very good healers
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Teraan

#7 » Post by Teraan » 29 Dec 2014 23:13

Blacklustersoldier wrote:disc priest is always needed in every 25 man raid....
holy priest is also good, but sadly too few people play holy... so nobody is really looking for holy priests... but a holy priest could preety much rival with a resto shaman if not surpass it... I think, idk... they are very good healers

Holy Priests have a bit from everything, but they're not able to actually excel in those. Not saying that they aren't good or something, but i honestly don't think they could rival a rshammy at all.
‡∆‡ My Characters: ‡∆‡
Teraan - Retribution PvE - PvP
Teraana - Discipline PvE - Holy PvE
Fatman - Balance PvE - Restoration PvE
Soomershaman - Restoration PvE - Enhancement PvE
Rmage - Fire PvE
Mahkarn - Survival PvE

Chasity
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Chasity » 30 Dec 2014 00:20

I <3 disc priest and played only with disc priest before. For me my stats are Sp - crit - int as haste I have around 200 ( not in raid). Never had a problem to find a spot in a raid or arena partner ;D. Always there is someone who is looking for us so if you like disc priest go for it :p
"and rly ... Location -- IKEAland .. you re rly pissed of by guy who is from IKEA :D"

innocentguy

#9 » Post by innocentguy » 30 Dec 2014 01:02

As much as I hate to agree with Blackluster...

Holy is fantastic Teraanib. They're simply much harder to play in comparison with Resto Shams (2 button spec -.-") but a Holy Priest can definitely out perform any other healer, with the exception of Discipline which I will go into later. In fact, I'd argue that Holy Priests are THE best at mobile encounters because they have the most instant casts available to them. An instant cast HoT Renew, AoE Circle of Healing, bouncing Prayer of Mending, and Flash Heal on-proc. The only other healer that comes close is Resto Druid, and they don't have instant cast burst heals available to them; just HoTs.

Discipline though, is basically unrivaled in what it does. Like what the OP said, Discipline is about mitigation; reducing or completely preventing any damage the raid would take, proactively. No other healer can do it as well as a Discipline Priest can. You can't really compare Discipline with another healer because what they do is simply too different. Even healers with Val'anyr don't measure up, since the proc could and would come at times when damage mitigation isn't needed. The best part is, Discipline, like Holy, is mostly unrestricted by movement and that can make the difference in quite a few encounters (In fact, Holy is much more restricted by movement, even though it still does well).

The disadvantage of Discipline is in the 15 second Debuff that prevents applications of their bubbles. In 10-man raids, this can be a disaster. 5-mans dungeons aren't too affected; there isn't enough damage in 5-mans for it to be a problem, plus you have plenty of time to stack Divine Aegis instead. Once everyone is shielded, there isn't much else a Discipline Priest can do compared to other healers. In 25-man raids, you won't ever run into that problem since there are plenty of people to shield, but Discipline does require a lot of synergy with the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) healer in 10-man raids.

The 2nd healer would have to be adept at burst heals while paired with Discipline in 10-man - to quickly heal up the raid in the gaps where they can't be shielded with PW: S. And the Discipline Priest can hardly do it himself. Sure you can cast Prayer of Healing as Discipline, but sadly it simply isn't potent enough to do the job. As such, 10-man raids are where a Discipline Priest would need more haste, because that's where they actually have to cast spells other than PW: S and PoM. Like what Kindz mentioned though, the GCD cap on Discipline is incredibly easy to hit and with ICC gear, you'll probably already have it, so for 25-man raids, haste isn't an important stat at all.

Whoops this post became much longer than I intended. Wanted to say a few things about the importance of Crit as Discipline, but I think I'll just do that if anyone asks. My apologies for the TL; DR-ness of this.

@Chasity You'd need slightly less than 500 haste unbuffed to be GCD-capped, if I remember correctly. (Rawr is being an ass & I can't find the exact number)
No one is simply entitled to anything in this world.
Whatever you want, you have to earn, be it money, respect or love.
[/color]
My Innocents:

Innocentguy - Priest ( Shadow / Discipline )
Innocence - Shaman ( Elemental / Restoration )
InnocentIcon - Death Knight ( Blood {Tank} / Unholy {DPS} )
Innocentshot - Hunter ( Marksmanship / Survival )
Innocentone - Druid ( Restoration / Feral {DPS} )
Innocenthope - Paladin ( Retribution / Holy )
~ In the end, Innocence is Brilliant ~

Chasity
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Chasity » 30 Dec 2014 01:07

It's actually around 470 what you need to be GCD capped. But if you have around 200 unbuffed you can get the rest without problems from the buffs. Ofc depends of the raid setup, but I always have an extra haste item in my bag to fill the gap :D
"and rly ... Location -- IKEAland .. you re rly pissed of by guy who is from IKEA :D"

innocentguy

#11 » Post by innocentguy » 30 Dec 2014 01:17

Sorry but, 200 isn't enough even with buffs. And 470 is incredibly easy to hit with ICC gear.

25% haste from Borrowed Time, 6% from Enlightenment, 3% from Swift Retribution or Improved Moonkin Form, 5% from Wrath of Air totem
- That's 39% haste. You'd need 11% haste from haste rating which, as you said, is around 470 haste rating, even with every single haste buff.
[/color]
My Innocents:

Chasity
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Chasity » 30 Dec 2014 01:36

You gain 6% from Enlightenment, and an additional 5% from Wrath of Air, plus 3% from Swift Retribution/Moonkin Aura, leaving you with only 4.67% or 154 haste rating to gain from gear to reach the hard GCD cap on PW:S (given Borrowed Time). Well ofc if you don't have any of those buffs you should aim for 434 which is the hard GCD cap. And for 10m raid you need a bit more as you use spells like flash heal etc more often than you would use them in 25. ( I have around 600 haste unbuffed for 10m raids) Most of the time in 25 raids I have time to use only pws, pom, PI, PS and penance from time to time. But this is my style of playing. Everyone should play how they like.

innocentguy

#13 » Post by innocentguy » 30 Dec 2014 01:39

Um... You do realize you're double-counting? Never mind forget I said anything.

I remember the reason why I stopped posting on the forums now. Time to make a hasty exit before I start being offensive.
[/color]
My Innocents:

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#14 » Post by Kindzadza » 30 Dec 2014 02:17

Well I always use my GCD. If no healing is required I always dot my targets, into Holy Shock, Penance and then Smiting. With the end game gear everything is possible anywhere with a disc priest. Well everything, but Anub'arak in 25 HC mode because he breaks the shield so easy. ^_^