Beacon

Bluebell
Former Staff

Beacon

#1 » Post by Bluebell » 04 Jul 2011 05:28

Well, I'm well aware I'm not the best Holy Paladin (I know Bradspitt thinks exactly that) but I reckon I'm alright.

But I was wondering two things. Is beacon bugged, or is it supposed to be that only one works. (E.g., if you have two Hpallies only one beacon will work near each other).

And in a raid, do you beacon yourself and focus on the tank, or beacon the MT/OT and heal others?
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Ctrlaltdel

Re: Beacon

#2 » Post by Ctrlaltdel » 04 Jul 2011 08:05

bluebell wrote:And in a raid, do you beacon yourself and focus on the tank, or beacon the MT/OT and heal others?

either way is a good choice but you'll find that im a very unique healadin in raids if you do one with me in it since i put beacon on myself use judgement of light on the boss and RAID heal...that's right...a paladin that's a raid healer!

Bluebell
Former Staff

#3 » Post by Bluebell » 04 Jul 2011 08:29

Ctrlaltdel wrote:
bluebell wrote:And in a raid, do you beacon yourself and focus on the tank, or beacon the MT/OT and heal others?

either way is a good choice but you'll find that im a very unique healadin in raids if you do one with me in it since i put beacon on myself use judgement of light on the boss and RAID heal...that's right...a paladin that's a raid healer!
Yes, obviously, but you will be healing the tank more than most, in theory. Which is why I'm asking if you think it's best to put beacon on tank so you can raid heal more effectively and not bother about the tank, or on yourself so you won't die. Evidently you go for the self beacon style.

Although I did see a Hpaladin put beacon on a priest. Which was nice considering it prevented mine from working.

Roel
Founder

#4 » Post by Roel » 04 Jul 2011 10:45

Put Beacon on the tank. You can heal 2 tanks like this at the same time.
When being with 2 hpallies, put it on the other tank, if only 1 tank, put it on the person taking most damage.

Anyway I am not a real hpally, I use the hybrid 38/0/33 build to be a real pally raid healer so I don't even have Beacon. I only healed a few raids as hpally. As hybrid I can easily heal 2 tanks and still have time to heal the rest of the raid because 40-50% of my healing goes AoE with glyph of Holy Light.

Ctrlaltdel

#5 » Post by Ctrlaltdel » 04 Jul 2011 12:14

Roel wrote:Put Beacon on the tank. You can heal 2 tanks like this at the same time.
When being with 2 hpallies, put it on the other tank, if only 1 tank, put it on the person taking most damage.

Anyway I am not a real hpally, I use the hybrid 38/0/33 build to be a real pally raid healer so I don't even have Beacon. I only healed a few raids as hpally. As hybrid I can easily heal 2 tanks and still have time to heal the rest of the raid because 40-50% of my healing goes AoE with glyph of Holy Light.
sorry if this sounds rude as hell but this spec doesn't make you a raid healer it makes you a shockadin not exactly suited for raid healing but for pvp combat.

second bold part makes me laugh seeing as holy i've been a pally healer since classic and know from multiple experiences taht soamming holy light at all times is pointless even if you never go oom mainly for 2 reasons

1: even with a ton of haste and the holy light talent your heal targets will most likely have full health again by the time it finishes it's cast

2: in icc my flash of light crits for around 15k depending on who i target with it and holy shock for nearly 25k more than enough to keep everyone alive w/o casting a single holy light and still pulling more HPS than any tree druid/shammy/priest

as for why i put beacon on myself rather than the tank...it's all about me forcing EVERY other paladin in the raid to use judgement of wisdom so i can keep my own judgement of light active at all times which not only keeps all of the melee dps near or above 75% health (including the tank) at all times it lets me know when to refresh sacred shield on the tank so when i do need to heal it it gets teh HoT from flash

lastly for the main part of this topic i won't really know if only one beacon can be active at a time until i actually run a raid with another healadin

Roel
Founder

#6 » Post by Roel » 04 Jul 2011 12:43

I don't care what others think about my build, yes it is Shockadin and I also played it in PvP but you can't compare those 2. HPS makes me laugh, I get 13k HPS with overhealing included, at the most heavy fights that is about 30% overhealing getting a steady 10k HPS on the recount where most people look at. Not like that is important. The only healer who ever got close to my healing was Top, he used almost the same build as I used... Shockadins ftw

I solo healed everything up to and including Festergut & Rotface on 10 man with it. 1.2 sec cast time on Holy Light and not going OOM, yes that's possible with almost 50% haste. It doesn't matter when it crits for 25k because 12.5k of it also goes AoE making it a 37.5k heal in the same time you did 15k.

I haven't healed a raid for quite some time as I got bored of PvE and I have all gears I currently need from the possible bosses, 6.05k GS. See you in BG and I will show healing even though I am holy in PvP, oh well I am ranked #1 in 2v2 for a reason, not even 4/5 wrathful yet...

P.S. We were talking about Beacon... Keep going and ignore me, just stick to Holy.

Bluebell
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Bluebell » 04 Jul 2011 14:37

I understand you put the beacon on the tank, that's usually what I do but:
Roel wrote:When being with 2 hpallies, put it on the other tank
bluebell wrote:Is beacon bugged, or is it supposed to be that only one works. (E.g., if you have two Hpallies only one beacon will work near each other)
Only one of the Hpallies can use beacon otherwise it bugs?

Also, Occasionally if I see someone dying and they're out of range I've started putting beacon on them from a far and then healing someone else to keep them alive, and then switching back to the tank. It seems to work, as Beacon has a 60 yard range which allows great distance healing but it's expensive. Then again, I don't run out of mana.

Roel
Founder

#8 » Post by Roel » 04 Jul 2011 14:43

2 pallies can't have beacon on 1 target, that's not a bug, it's blizzlike. If the first pally uses beacon while the target already has a beacon from the second pally then it will just overwrite and the second pally won't have beacon active. It would also quite useless if it was be possible, the tank should easily be healed by 1 pally or you will be overhealing a lot.

Bluebell
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Bluebell » 04 Jul 2011 16:12

Not one target, but two different targets. That's what I asked in my original post, if two paladins put two beacons on two separate players, are the beacons supposed to both work or only one of them.

Roel
Founder

#10 » Post by Roel » 04 Jul 2011 17:25

Both should work.

Bluebell
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Bluebell » 04 Jul 2011 17:36

Well from my raid experience, battleground experience and a quick test I did with another paladin, they didn't, only one of them worked.

Roel
Founder

#12 » Post by Roel » 04 Jul 2011 17:49

Archbishop

#13 » Post by Archbishop » 18 Aug 2011 03:08

I have noticed, that when I beacon a target, and heal another person, I have additional healing on the target beaconed, roughly 10 percent above what is healed on the person I targeted the original heal on.

-

#14 » Post by - » 18 Aug 2011 03:21

You've just necroposted, my friend, but anyway, it's weird what's happened to you. Is it constantly happening, or just occasionally, like a bug or something?

Bluebell
Former Staff

#15 » Post by Bluebell » 18 Aug 2011 06:48

When he told me about it, I tested it and got the same effects, yes, it's every time as well.

And it's not like it's a necropost of something long gone, there aren't that many topics in the Paladin section so it's on the front page, and it's a relevant and new point. Not like he went "I like beacon!".