Request: Tankadin guide

Huggies

Request: Tankadin guide

#1 » Post by Huggies » 15 Jun 2017 20:08

I can only imagine that I am doing something wrong and can not figure it out. My threat is horrible and trying to maintain what threat I do get I go damn near oom.

Warriors seem to have insanely high threat with great dps compared to prot paladin.

Using SoCor I watch my threat slowly trickle down cycling thru JoW, HS and Consecration when mana allows. I rarely use AV due to mana issues as well.

What am I doing wrong?

Tirionfordri

Re: Request: Tankadin guide

#2 » Post by Tirionfordri » 15 Jun 2017 21:02

Well, you tanking with paladin - what could be more wrong about it?:D
And, now - serious: you can hold AoE agrro pretty well but single target sucks and warrior with druids will outaggro you almost always, so - be offtank :)

Huggies

#3 » Post by Huggies » 15 Jun 2017 23:16

This saddens me.

arsa992

#4 » Post by arsa992 » 16 Jun 2017 19:43

Dont listen to these haters :D What level are you? I'm 65 atm, already tanked alot of dungs and never had problem with threat nor mana. You need to pick right talents cuz we dont have plea until wotlk. For me, blessing of sanctuary is key, use it all the time since everytime you block you get 2% mana, works great with HS , also dont be afraid to use mana pots, seal , judgement. Also AS is a must for boss tanking since it has very high dmg and threat, exorcism is great too but you cant use it all the time since if you are casting it you cant block so be carefull, use it on pulls, or when bosses are not hitting. Tanking trash is easy, you pull with exo, get command seal, consecration and no1 will be able to "steal" agro from you. Also bear in mind you should not gear yourself like it was in 2.4 patch cuz current mechanics are from 3.3.5 patch.

Psyentific

#5 » Post by Psyentific » 15 Jul 2017 09:53

Basics:

Use Seal of Veng/Corr, always. If you're using any other seal you're probably a scrub. Yes, that includes Seal of Command. The holy DoT is great threat generation (1 stack comparable to 1 SoComm swing over time) and once you get it to five stacks your threat just soars. If you're quick with tab targeting and have a fast weapon (~1.6 speed) you can keep it up on 2-3 targets. If you can keep it up on 2-3 targets, it's superior to SoComm.

Keep Blessing of Sanctuary up, always. BoSanc is how you avoid OOMing. If you're tanking and you're not using the "free mana from defenses" button, what are you even doing.

Keep Holy Shield up, always. Synergizes w/ BoSanc, shouldn't need to explain more.

Keep Consecration up, always. If your consecration is not on cooldown, what are you even doing.

Keep Judgement up, always. Seal of Vengeance/Corruption boosts judgement damage, which also means threat. That, and chip-heals or chip-manas is very nice to have both for yourself and the group.

Have a Shield Spike. Admittedly not as vital as it is for Warriors (wherein Spike benefits from Defensive Stance's increased threat across the board, vs Righteous Fury's holy-only threat buff), but every little bit helps.

Keep your Taunt button close at hand. I usually use T, you can use whatever you want as long as you don't have to move your hand to reach it.

Keep an eye on the mobs. If a mob is not in your stack and facing you, something is probably wrong.

Keep the other eye on the group's characters. The surest indicator of someone taking damage from a stray mob is them running away from it. Usually they're supposed to run towards you so your Consecrate will catch it, but sometimes they're retarded and just run around trying to kite it or something.

For pulls, Taunt -> Avenger's Shield then Exorcism while they slow-run to you is often sufficient initial threat. If you can, set up a target marker macro or two to mark skull and cross.

Auras, devotion is usually the better choice unless you need specific magic resistance (Arcatraz Heroic comes to mind). Retribution aura is roughly equivalent to shield spike damage, but benefits from Righteous Fury due to Holy damage. Devotion gives you about 3% DR from armor, and 3% DR is usually better than chip damage.

Advanced:

Keep your Hand spells bound and handy. Hand of Salvation is great if someone's butting up against your threat cap, Righteous Defense if you need to wrangle mobs off someone, Hand of Protection -> Righteous Defense if the mobs are already on the guy, Hand of Protection on its own if someone's got a very bad debuff/dot stack on them, Hand of Freedom if someone's rooted and needs to not be. Keep your Lay On Hands button handy as well, never know when you'll need it. I usually stick my normal cooldowns on Z/X/C and my emergency cooldowns on Shift-Z/X/C.
Smug anime girls are the highest form of rhetoric

JCarrill0

#6 » Post by JCarrill0 » 10 Aug 2017 16:47

Huggies wrote:
15 Jun 2017 20:08
I can only imagine that I am doing something wrong and can not figure it out. My threat is horrible and trying to maintain what threat I do get I go damn near oom.

Warriors seem to have insanely high threat with great dps compared to prot paladin.

Using SoCor I watch my threat slowly trickle down cycling thru JoW, HS and Consecration when mana allows. I rarely use AV due to mana issues as well.

What am I doing wrong?
Your learning how to tank, don't be so hard on yourself!

The long post has very good info on tanking as a paladin.
Don't give up and remeber, we have been the number 1 AoE tanks since Vanilla, even in WotLK, we still are the great at it!

Wilcox

#7 » Post by Wilcox » 12 Aug 2017 02:53

you can get the threat enchant for your gloves, that helps a lil bit

it's probably something with your talents though