[Primal] Caster DPS viability?

Rymdgubbe

[Primal] Caster DPS viability?

#1 » Post by Rymdgubbe » 20 Apr 2016 14:12

Since exorcism has a casting time in WotLK and not a cooldown, i got the idea of a caster paladin. A lot of the ret talents gives better holy damage so i was thinking, why would i bother with going deep into the holy which only increase the healing. Just to get holy shock? Wouldn't it be enough to just spam exorcism and judgment?
This is the start of the spec i came up with, thoughts?
http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#sVVZZVfMt0Izh

Naljs

Re: [Primal] Caster DPS viability?

#2 » Post by Naljs » 21 Apr 2016 00:28

Actually that's Cata. In Wotlk it's 15 sec CD, 10 sec if you spec for it in Holy tree.
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
King Charles XII of Sweden (1682-1718)
Yes, I know there is a special place in Hell for me.
It's called a Throne.

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

Re: [Primal] Caster DPS viability?

#3 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 21 Apr 2016 00:42

The only paladin on the server I've ever seen do even remotely decent DPS is Tirionfordri. You can check out his gear and spec here. He mostly uses spell power gear and had large success with the Fiery Enchantment (badlands quest, not enchanting), which scales well with spell power. To put it into perspective, he usually does 700-900 DPS in a run, including AEing trash. This isn't competitive with top tier DPSers with similar gear levels (at 1000-1400) but is significantly higher than the best DPS I've ever seen out of a melee-build Retribution paladin (around 500 tops).

One other item of note for you: if you were thinking about Holy shock, it suffers from the healing spell mana penalty in raids even when not used as a heal.

P.S. - Please note that I'm saying this is the best dps I've seen. There could be some paladin out there having success with Retribution that I haven't grouped with.

P.P.S. - AQ will give access to some new gear with both melee stats and some spell power.
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick