Ret Pallies vs Prot Pallies

.djgoku76

Ret Pallies vs Prot Pallies

#1 » Post by .djgoku76 » 24 Aug 2015 18:28

On another server I was playing on, I rolled a Ret pally. Now, I never played a paladin at all in WoW, until I made this paladin. I found he was a pretty good tank in the early stages once I got Concencrate. And I levelled all the way to 60 as a Ret pally.

I know that Prot pallies get Avenger's Shield, but with the 31 point cap (until BC), which version is the better tank?

.landgin

Re: Ret Pallies vs Prot Pallies

#2 » Post by .landgin » 24 Aug 2015 20:15

Lol ret.

.Zsombee

#3 » Post by .Zsombee » 24 Aug 2015 20:21

Ret = everyone will laugh at you
Prot = everyone will laugh at you, and they will ask GMs to ban you including me

EbonTopaz

#4 » Post by EbonTopaz » 25 Aug 2015 12:00

Troll posts aside, I'm afraid that you're not going to find much use at level 60 unless you spec as Holy.

Protection Paladins lack their main mana regeneration talents, and they miss several of their core abilities. This means much less aggro, with no way to sustain it. As for Retribution Paladins, although they aren't completely useless, they still lack their core abilities as well; Crusader Strike and Divine Storm are both unobtainable.

Holy Paladins do not get access to Beacon of Light or Divine Plea, but aside from those two they possess all of their core abilities. Holy Shock, Holy Light and Flash of Light are all there, and with the current talents they can empower both Blessing of Wisdom and Blessing of Might, making them more effective raid buffers than Protection or Retribution Paladins. However, the biggest downside of Holy Paladins is how difficult they are to gear, since Plate gear with Spell Power and/or mp/5 is rare in Vanilla.

Personally, I'd only recommend rolling a Holy Paladin as an alt, with a main that can supply for it. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble that way.

.djgoku76

#5 » Post by .djgoku76 » 25 Aug 2015 14:13

So, Ret pallies are not a viable class at all? I did pretty well on another serve as a Ret pally.

.lucasrayken

#6 » Post by .lucasrayken » 25 Aug 2015 14:54

Holy Paladins are one of the easier classes to get Pre-Raid Best in Slot apart from getting the damn mindtaps.

EbonTopaz

#7 » Post by EbonTopaz » 25 Aug 2015 16:08

djgoku76 wrote:So, Ret pallies are not a viable class at all? I did pretty well on another serve as a Ret pally.
This server uses the Wrath of the Lich King talents, but all talents beyond 31 are disabled. This leaves Retribution Paladins without Crusader Strike and Divine Storm, but also without Judgements of the Wise. As far as I can tell, Retribution Paladins can deal okay-ish damage if played properly, but they suffer from longevity issues in raids due to their lack of mana regeneration.

Additionally, although they can potentially spec to improve both Blessing of Might and Blessing of Wisdom, it comes at the cost of their overall damage. Whereas in the case of Holy Paladins, they can take all of their important healing talents and still have more than enough points to improve them both.

Although these two issues don't neccesarily rule out playing a Retribution Paladin, most raids do prefer Holy Paladins because they don't suffer from similar performance-hindering problems.

.djgoku76

#8 » Post by .djgoku76 » 25 Aug 2015 20:49

Good look, Ebontopaz. something to consider.

.landgin

#9 » Post by .landgin » 25 Aug 2015 21:53

It comes Down to this, are we going to carry a ret pally or pick a real dps class that can carry it's own weight ?

.Liebe

#10 » Post by .Liebe » 27 Aug 2015 15:44

Zsombee wrote:Ret = everyone will laugh at you
Prot = everyone will laugh at you, and they will ask GMs to ban you including me
>2015
> has cuckchan in his signature
>comments on classes
>plays the simplest spec in game while being fotm

.Zsombee

#11 » Post by .Zsombee » 27 Aug 2015 20:00

Liebe wrote:>2015
> has cuckchan in his signature
>comments on classes
>plays the simplest spec in game while being fotm
Sorry mah nig, we still can't invite you to <Maple Syrup>.
Don't be butthurt plzz.
Also, u cant even touch me.

Dreadnought101

#12 » Post by Dreadnought101 » 27 Aug 2015 21:06

:(
Degaris
-
A wise man once introduced me to this game "It shall protect your virginity my lad." He said...