The Shockadin Guide - WotLK

Roel
Founder

The Shockadin Guide - WotLK

#1 » Post by Roel » 02 Apr 2011 04:46

Shockadin was very popular in TBC but most people think it doesn't work anymore. In fact it can still be good for both PvE and PvP if you have the right talents. Read this guide to learn some more about Shockadin in WotLK. There are a lot of different ways you can play shockadin, you can do a lot of damage in a short time but you can also heal a lot like you were holy.

For PvE you can basically spec for a holy light build so you can spam holy light without running oom. Top was using this build all the time for icc and could outheal any other healer, you can see his shockadin pve build in the armory. Even for lower geared players this is still a good way to spam holy light without going oom if you do enough judgements to trigger Judgements of the Wise.

PvP on the other hand is a completely different story cause you shouldn't spam holy light in PvP and therefor you should have an infinite amount of mana if you do enough judgements. Healing with holy shock and flash of light is still good if you use the same holy pvp gear but damage talents from the ret tree allow you to do more damage when you don't need to heal. The healing/damage ratio is your own choice and can be modified by the talents you take. When you spam damage abilities cause your party members are at full hp you don't have to worry so much about mana as in Holy cause you're also using judgements on you 8 sec CD which is instant ~1k mana each time and a nice mp5 buff with 100% uptime when using judgements. If you know about the ret tree you know you can get some nice talents but Repentance will really make this spec shine cause you can use 2 CCs in a row now. For example when you're healing your dps partner in 2v2 he can go kill the other dps and we it's about 50% hp you can stun the healer with hammer of justice, then use wings, and your damaging abilities on the dps. When the healer almost gets out of the stun you can use Repentance and immediately burst the dps with your partner. If you didn't make it you can try again in 1 minute when your stuns are ready. You can get the talent Sanctified Wrath to give your wings shorter CD and make you cause even more damage.

I am already sure I stay Shockadin in PvE but for PvP I need to play some more and see how I can use the spec. Maybe I will use it in 2v2 sometimes to help my partner kill the other team when I already healed him to full hp but for 3v3 and 5v5 I am not sure cause Holy with Beacon allows you to heal 2 people at once and against good teams you will be healing all the time. A big loss in this spec are the prot talents like 30% less stun duraction and Divine Sacrfice + Divine Guardian but getting Glyph of Salvation already fixes the 20% less dmg taken for 10 seconds.

In one Arathi Basin match today I did 190k dmg and 890k healing with 4.5-4.8k GS so the healing seems normal for a Holy Paladin but in addition I did a lot more dmg than holy paladins normally do. At this moment my 1st spec is pve and 2nd pvp so you can check that out in the armory if you want but I suggest you look into talents yourself and decide how much healing/dps you want to do and what cool talent gadgets you want.

Anyway I think everyone no matter pally or not should read the overview at the bottom of the guide I linked to. It's all about enjoying the game and seeing this spec has a lot of flexibility you can adapt it to your own play style and enjoy it or just try something different than a normal spec. Maybe you can even try in ret gear and do massive dmg but still have some instant heals with holy shock, I seriously don't know if that will be any good but it's worth trying if you don't have holy gear.

I could have written more but I got bored and think you should figure certain stuff out yourself just like I did. The guide I linked to is pretty general and there isn't much to find at the internet about Shockadin in WotLK.

Warpath

Re: The Shockadin Guide - WotLK

#2 » Post by Warpath » 06 Apr 2011 10:31

Good job, really nice look to paladins :D
I will also try it out as soon as I get WoW back :D

Roel
Founder

#3 » Post by Roel » 17 Sep 2011 11:00

I haven't played it for a long time in PvP but I went ahead and tried it again at another server. Basically this is an awesome spec for duels or soloing in BG but I think it also has some use in 2v2 if you have a dps partner with nice survivability seeing this spec gives less heals.

One time I went with a ele shammy against 2 disc priests, the shammy failed and left. 5 minutes later I also left because the 2 priests couldn't kill me even though they oomed me a thousand times. When OOM it only took a few seconds before I had enough mana for heals again. The priests were OOMing themselves with mana burn so they had to drink, I could prevent one from drinking but not both :S

Anyway here is an example of how a fight could go if you have a noob mage with you who attacks the DK Oo

-

#4 » Post by - » 26 Dec 2011 22:01

I have an idea. How about this build for player versus player combat, stack spell power and intellect, which you easily get from Holy gear, and gem up on haste and mp5, and equip a powerful two-handed weapon?

You can get spell power and intellect, as well as haste, from Holy gear, and the two-handed weapon as a drop from raids, even dungeons would do, like the Beheader from the Pit of Saron Heroic, get all the haste gems you can possibly find and fill in every single socket with one to make yourself go really fast.
The more spell power you have, the harder your spells will hit.

The more intellect you have, the better as well. Having wise judgements will keep you up and running all the time.

And here's the reason why I'm thinking of going with a two-handed weapon. The more haste you have, the faster you'll also hit, so it'll compensate the weapon's slow general speed, making you hit faster nevertheless, harder even, and become more deadlier, yet, art of war will still work efficiently, and you'll hit like a truck with seal of righteousness.

Putting in the glyphs for seal of righteousness, exorcism and avenging wrath should surely make you a lethal and worthy enemy.

You should still have enough crit rating to pop out eye-candy, thanks to conviction and a little holy power. Experimenting with fully-trained skinning should help with that matter.
In the end, you'll most likely have consecration inflicting over three hundred damage per strike, attack and cast lightning-fast, and still make frequent critical hits... that's what I was thinking, at least...

I have yet to try this out, as I still haven't reached level eighty, but this idea has been on my mind for quite a while. All you need is to have patience and fully gear up. Give me your opinions on this idea, I want to know what you think about it.

I tried this idea today on my paladin with an axe I got, and it's a really good axe, a Retribution Paladin's axe. I had just 38 Haste Rating, but it's well enough and I owned a battleground I was in, I was second in damage and honorable kills. Go check that out at the Scoreboard Showoff topic at the PvP section here, my last post there with the last picture there.

My paladin's only level sixty nine and is mediocre-ly geared, but it worked out perfectly. I can't wait till level eighty and start gearing up seriously and putting up my PvP spec idea and trying THAT out, because I'm sure it's going to rock, especially when I put all that Haste Rating there and put that into work with an epic two-handed weapon.

(edited because Nexxus can't read it...)
Last edited by Guest on 29 Dec 2011 00:26, edited 2 times in total.

Locus

#5 » Post by Locus » 29 Dec 2011 00:17

I hope none of these paragraphs were about shockadins in PvE, otherwise they were wastes of pixels.

-

#6 » Post by - » 29 Dec 2011 00:23

Don't worry, I'll try that out in PvE too. I'm not going to give that idea up, DPS-ing as a Shockadin in PvE. That's not an impossible thing.

Here is a basic idea of what should be in PvE.

That's still just my first idea and I have a lot to think about, just showing you the general thought of that.

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Kindzadza » 29 Dec 2011 01:14

LOL....shockadin...DPS...PvE...? I wouldn't even invite that spec. for a random heroic dungeon.

Intervention
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Intervention » 29 Dec 2011 03:22

Yeah...i would not invite that spec either... Unless i wanted an achievement to keep the boss alive for a long time to kill a certain number of adds or something...but even still....
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

-

#9 » Post by - » 29 Jan 2012 20:25

PvP
PvE DPS (idea)
PvE Healer
Check out Tehpwner's Armory page for gear and current specs and so on (in need of Glyphs change so don't mind them).

Cover25

#10 » Post by Cover25 » 29 Jan 2012 21:53

Xander the Shockadin wrote:PvP
PvE DPS (idea)
PvE Healer
Check out Tehpwner's Armory page for gear and current specs and so on (in need of Glyphs change so don't mind them).
Lol Shockadin dps. Whats next? Holy priest DPSing? Or even better a disc priest will tank.

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Kindzadza » 29 Jan 2012 22:31

He's just a noob Cover :>

Intervention
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Intervention » 30 Jan 2012 02:09

I would never invite you to my raids if you are 'shockadin DPS' which is just plain dumb. You have half your talents in ret, so just go all root and pump out double the amount of DPS you would do as 'shockadin'.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Roel
Founder

#13 » Post by Roel » 30 Jan 2012 15:28

Just because half the talents are in some talent tree doesn't mean it's half as good in that tree. As shockadin healer I have half my talents in holy and still heal more than any other healer cause I profit from not going OOM and spamming holy light with 1.5k haste.

But there is no way you can ever do more than 8k dps as shockadin on a single target, I am sorry but ret is really better in just doing damage if you don't look at the healing capabilities.

-

#14 » Post by - » 30 Jan 2012 16:58

Lol Shockadin dps. Whats next? Holy priest DPSing? Or even better a disc priest will tank.
No, no, Rogue Tank will own it in the face, duh.
He's just a noob Cover :>
Half of the Alliance used to call me that and I still know they still do, and I also know half of the Horde does too, so the purpose of that comment of yours would be...?
I would never invite you to my raids if you are 'shockadin DPS' which is just plain dumb. You have half your talents in ret, so just go all root and pump out double the amount of DPS you would do as 'shockadin'.
I never even said, mentioned or thought about anything related to exactly your ICC raid or any raid instance whatsoever, Intervention. :D
Just because half the talents are in some talent tree doesn't mean it's half as good in that tree.
That's true.
As shockadin healer I have half my talents in holy and still heal more than any other healer...
I haven't made any comprehensions with other healers yet, and I know I still have sort of a long way to go in terms of Shockadin Healers, as in gear and, of course, experience, because I'm more of a PvP player and have done few raids to get some experience from. Healing as a Shockadin in dungeons is a beginner's job, :lol:
... cause I profit from not going OOM and spamming holy light with 1.5k haste.
Exactly.
Around 750 haste here, 1,2k+ with a recent acquired trinket that increases haste drastically for 20 seconds upon using, making my FoL casttimes 1.09 and HL casttimes 1.39. I've recently looked around the T10 sets, stumbled on the Holy T10 gear set pieces and saw the (4) set bonus: Holy Shock casts decrease Holy Light's casttime by 0.3 seconds, you do the maths on how fast my Holy Light casts could be soon, depending on how fast I'd be gearing. :mrgreen:
But there is no way you can ever do more than 8k dps as shockadin on a single target...
Probably. Maybe you're right, maybe you're all right, but, you all already know me well enough to know that I'd do anything just to try different "mindless" things, earning the title "noob,"as if I care anyway, I do all sorts of things to expand my knowledge of Shockadins and try to expand Shockadins themselves altogether. Too bad Retribution Paladins seem rather too simple. I only admire their aggressive playstyle, but their simplicity is annoying.
... I am sorry but ret is really better in just doing damage if you don't look at the healing capabilities.
Being a Shockadin "DPS" in raids could sometimes save your own life or maybe others' lives as well in different tense moments during those instances, or when something went wrong, you could fix it, but, yeah, that aside, it's weak in DPS.
Why not true though, as you already know me? As far as I could remember from the last time I was a Retribution Paladin, they stack Str, Stam and Crit? I stack SP, Crit, Haste, and wield a two-handed weapon, maybe that haste could become a plus some time later on, even if I'm missing a bonus damaging spell and such? It's an idea, which I'm still experimenting on, but not fully, since I'm focusing on the main thing, after all, yet others bash on it right away.

Cover25

#15 » Post by Cover25 » 30 Jan 2012 20:15

Im sorry but if you even think 8.5k dps in icc well geared is good you dont know anything about the game. 8.5k dps is pathetic in icc. I dont see why you make things so complicated, just Roll the DPS spec(RET) and Play like a normal sensible person instead of being a fanboy of Shockadins.