[GUIDE] Cy's Ret PVP guide - 3.3.5

Cyrius

[GUIDE] Cy's Ret PVP guide - 3.3.5

#1 » Post by Cyrius » 04 Aug 2013 22:11

Hello everyone! I'd like to start by apologising for any spelling errors you may find through out this post.
I'm posting this because I think its vital for every servers forum to have a guide of all clases in order to spare the search. Ret isn't exactly a spec that requieres a guide, but given the fact most people play holy pvp (which in my eyes is blasphemy :D), maybe we need something like what you are about to read.

[hide="Q&A"]Now you are probably starting to ask yourselves a series of questions like:
1)
Q: Why the F does (precisely) this n00b have to write a guide?
A: I agree, ive asked this myself given the fact there are a lot better paladins then me. As I said, to spare the suffering of searching, cuz there arent any ret guides that are actualy good and those that are, are for some reason closed. Furthermore, since i can't write THE guide it's more like my point of view of how this should be played.
2)
Q: Why the F do we have to care how you play?
A: You dont...and in order to make this not so entirely useless ill put in the basics as well as macroes and suggestions for keybinds (and maybe some arena info).[/hide]

BTW i'll try avoiding walls of text and try to make this easy and fun to read. Bear with me here:

1.INTRO
[/u][/size][/b]
Despite all the info i'll give, this is by far the most important part. The ret paladin is a support class! And i'll be damned if there is any other class or spec in the game that can do that batter. There simply isn't.

All the survivability spells and machanics of the retribution paladin allow him to support another character to an incredible extent. So dont rush in like crazy in try to kills stuff, because that (IMHO) is NOT your job, it's a warriors job (LOLYOLOSWAG).

For example in bg it's better to heal,hop,hof, etc a friendly target making sure he would survive, then rushing into battle looking for HK this way dooming both him and yourself. By saving an ally (...and i mean like ally=friend, not that Alliance scum :D BUUUURN!) he can in turn peel you off and/or pressure the opponent.

2.STATS(and Stat-related talents)
[/size][/u][/b]
[hide="Hit"]Hit is important for all classes as usual 5% (167 or so hit rating) to hit lvl80 targets. However that is not enough to hit certain races like Belfs and Nelfs due to their racials. 8% (267 or so hit rating) is required to never miss.[/hide]
[hide="Strength"]The most important talants that make the ret spec are: 1.DIVINE STRENGTH, 2.SHEATH OF LIGHT and 3.ART OF WAR (among others, but more on that later).

The 1st one increases the bonus you get from str by 15% (maxed 5/5). Since 1xSTR = 2xAP, with 20str gems and Divine strength you benefit alot more then simple 40AP gems.

The 2nd one gives Spellpower(SP) equal to 30% of your total AP. More SP means more powerful heals AND more absorbsion with Sacred Shield(SS).
Arashikage wrote: the spellpower from it also figures into the holy damage you deal, hence more SP = more damage (in this case SP from sheath, not raw SP).
The 3rd one makes your Flash of light(FoL) or Exorcism(EXO) instant everytime you crit with a Judgement, Crusader Strike(CS) or Divine Storm(DS).

You know where this is going, right? More Strength means better heals and more absorb, wich in turn means more survivablilty.[/hide]
[hide="Crit"]Crit is needed to have more Art of War procs = more FoL/Exo = heals/dmg, but (IMO) isn't a stat you sould focus on with gems or enchants, its the kind of stat that comes from gear.
Required crit: 30%+[/hide]
[hide="Resil"]Resil is obtained mainly from gear and enchants its not worth geming it since the soft cap on resil for ret pvp can be considered 1200, given the existance of SS and the insta heal mechanic (Art of war + FoL). However resil (IMO) should be anywhere between 800 and 1200. It's not that hard to obtain...if i can i'll also put in some gear setup so you can see.[/hide]
[hide="Stamina"]This will come from gear and maybe 1 or 2 gems max so you could activate the meta (more on that later). I dont think its important to stack it, cuz if you have for example 30k HP and your FoL heals for 6k crits minimum, then its a 6k heal over a 30k health pool. In turn of you have 35k+ hk that same heal would be less efective then the 1st case.[/hide]
I wont mention any other stats, because they are not important and you shouldn't bother with them.
[hide="PERSONAL OPPONION=LOL WHO CARES"]It's better the quality of the heals then the quantity. If you decide to stack crit insted of strength or even if you stack 10 str + 10 crit gems only, you'll heal more often but for shit (pardon my language).
The diference between 35% crit and 40% looks a lot, but its not that substantial ...trust me. :|
you'll heal alot better with like 1.9k+ Str and 34-35% crit then with 1.5k str and 40%+ crit[/hide]
3.GEMS AND ENCHANTS
Now that we have discused the stats it should become clear what gems and enchants to take.
[hide="Gems"]- Meta: Relentless Earthsiege Diamond or Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
- Red: Bold Cardinal Ruby with 3x Bold Dragon's Eye if you have JC
- Blue: Sovereign Dreadstone(only one and only if you have Chaotic Skyflare Diamond as a meta) else Bold Cardinal Ruby
- Yellow: Bold Cardinal Ruby or Resplendent Ametrine (if you feel the lack of resiliance).

And one last thing for the 1 hander (Which will be discussed in 4.GEAR i'd recomend pure red SP gem, however, other options are Sovereign Dreadstone and Resplendent Ametrine[/hide]
[hide="Enchants"]- Head (shoulders, knees and toes LOL) - 50AP + 20resil or 50AP + 20crit
- Shoulders (knees and toes ROFL) - Inscription of Triumph or Greater Inscription of the Axe
- Cloak - for tailors: Swordguard embrodery, for Engineering: Flexweave Underlay, for all else Major Agility
- Chest - either Powerful Stats or Exceptional Resiliance
- Wrist - Greater Assault
- Gloves - For engineering: Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket, else Crusher
- Waist - engineering only: Frag Belt
- Legz ;) - Icescale Leg Armor and IF low on resil and i mean desperatly low then and only then (<=>) Earthen Leg Armor
- TOES! - For engineers: Nitro Boots, else Greater Assault or Icewalker
- Rings (only if enchanter) - 40AP
- Weapon 2 hander - Berserking
- Weapon 1 hander - Mighty Spellpower (Imo is best) but you can also go with Berserking
- Shield - I recomend Resilience, since Intellect isn't gona benefit you for shit as ret.[/hide]
4.GEAR
[/size][/u][/b]
I wont get into much detail on this topic. Simply to say that its preferable to have a full pvp set, plate offset part. All strength and stamina based the rest of the benefits they give should be the necesery ones to get the stats already mentioned.
However there are 2 very important things (the libram and the 1 hander and shield weapons) that should be discussed.

[hide="LIBRAM"]I'd suggest the FoL libram. Why?

Well the dmg you do will come from gear and certain talents not that much from the dps librams. Ok maybe i didn't express that well. What im trying to say is you can do perfectly good dmg without a libram so why not invest in healing. Plus, librams like "Libram of the 3 truths" (LoT3T) can give up to 220 str, now picture that with Divine Strength and the 1 x str = 2 x Ap, take 30% of that an add it to your SP, its gona be less then the 510 Sp (for FoL) that you will get with wf libram of FoL.

The only thing i can see better in LoT3T is that the bonus SP you get will benefit SS, while the FoL libram wont. At the end of the day its your choise. Choose what suits you best.[/hide]

[hide="1 hander + Shield"]The reason you swap from 2 handed weapon to 1 hander and shield is to increase massivly your spellpower for a bigger SS absorb and bigger heals. So in order to benefit the most from this swap the most logical solution is to use holy weapon and shield. It's going to have a much bigger effect then changing to prot weapons. I'd also recomend pvp holy weapons since they also give resil. More on swapping later.[/hide]

5.SPECS
[/size][/u][/b]
Specing as ret is not easy since every little talent variation can significantly change the way you play. IMO this should be the BASE for all ret pvp specs: Base talents
How you spend the rest of the points is a question of how you wana play.
Here are several samples of specs and what I think they are used for:
[hide="1/19/51"]This is your tipical double dps arena spec, i'm sure you've seen it alot. It has key prot talents like Imp. Hammer of Justice, Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian. Also 1/5 Seals of the Pure.[/hide]
[hide="0/19/52"]This is the same thing but insted of taking 1/5 Seals of the Pure you get 1/2 Vindication, which is used mainly as a junk debuff, but can also help agains other melee (rogue,enh shaman, warrior, DK,other ret, prot paladins) reducing their AP.[/hide]
[hide="3/17/51"]This spec is a little hard to get used to due to the lack of Divine Guardian. But its good for arena when playing double dps with a class that has an absorbtion shield like mage or shadow priest. However id recomend this for more advanced players. I dont play it myself cuz its too damn squishy. Divine guardian makes a world of diference.[/hide]
[hide="7/11/53"]This is an arena aggressive spec, works best with a healer (which is gay...double dps RULZ). Has great dmg, has Guardian's Favor to hop your partner every 3 mins and Divine Sacrifice to break poly's and fears.From the 2 remaining points put 1 in Vindication and 1 in Righteous Vengeance.[/hide]
[hide="3/17/51 v2"]This is my current spec and im digging it so far. If you are able to swallow the lack of Guardian's Favor and Imp. Hammer of Justice, then this is the spec for you. it has all the good stuff, healing , dmg and all the key prot talents. There is also the possibility to move 2 points for Seals of the pure and put them in Imp.Hammer of Justice or take 2 points out of Divinity and put them in Guardian's Favor. Your choise.[/hide]

5.1 Talent Dilemmas
[/u][/b][/color]
[hide="Benediction vs Deflection"]- Some people will say Deflection is useless, because "with higher Parry you give warriors more chances to use OVerpower on you...bla bla bla" /fart. Given the existance of the warriors talent Taste for Blood, i doubt he will have much trouble Overpowering you. So this talent isn't completely useless. Feel free to try it.
random guy in some forum wrote:No one can argue that -10% mana use isnt a good thing but when some face rolling arms goon comes running up to my pretty belf face, I would rather have parry at +10%.
- Others, on the other hand, will say Benediction is useless, because "you have sooo many replenishment efects, that you dont need 10% reduces mana cost on instants, Derp." True, however when it comes to applying this rul in long fights (against casters mainly) you'll find yourself using Divine Plea a lot more often then usual. Reducing this way the heals by 50% quite often. So you have to cancel it a lot in order to make up for the reduced heals.

I suggest picking the one that suits your playstyle the most. They are both good.[/hide]
[hide="Divinity vs Toughness"]This refers to the 1st and 2nd specs ive posted. Some people take Toughness insted of Divinity and I wana make clear why this in my oppinion is wrong.

1st - Toughness gives 2% increased armor from items (1/5). Armor is a stat that reduces only fisical dmg and its useful only against melee..or not? cuz 2 % isnt enough to make the diference. Holy paladins do take it, but thats because its like a "drop off point" - you need it to get to a certain talent (you dont know where to put a point in order to open the next tear ot talents). Ret is not that case.

2nd - Toughness also gives 6% less slowing efects duration (1/5). Also not beneficial, since most slows in pvp can easaly be refreshed on you - no problem. Just think about the mages Frostbolt, feral slow from Mangle and Shred, warriors Hammstring or Piercing Howl. In most of these cases you'll either cleanse or freedom.

3rd - Divinity on the other hand can be used agaisnt all classes in all situations since it increases healing by 1% on all tarrgets and 2% on you (1/5).

When it comes to pvp you gotta think more globaly. Don't focus specing specific talent just so you can kill class X.[/hide]
[hide="Righteous Vengeance"]Some might ask why in all specs linked there is no 3/3 of this. Well this talent for me has never made the diference in pvp. It doesnt do that much dmg as a dot, has low duration and its removable with Repentance. I'd rather use 2 of the point in Imp. Blessing of Might and do 3/3 Heart of the Crusader (insted 1/3). Both will benefit a more power full heal and more often.[/hide]

5.2 Glyphs
[/color][/b]
[hide="Major"]The only realy essencial Major glyph is: Glyph of Judgement. For the other slots you can go with one of the folowing options:

- Glyph of Turn Evil - necessary for arena if you ask me
- Glyph of Salvation - its nice since it basicaly turns Hand of Salvation from a useless PVE ability into a 20% dmg reducing spell with 2 min CD and no debuffs or drawbacks.
- Glyph of Hammer of Justice - this one is underrated, 5 more yards is sooo good vs kitter classes its unbelievable.
- Glyph of Seal of Righteousness - for more dmg with SoR
- Glyph of Divine Storm - makes your DS heal for 40% of the dmg done instead of 25%
- Glyph of Exorcism - more dmg with Exo (i personaly dont recommend it since you will mostly be using Art of War for FoL. Atleast i do D:
- Glyph of Flash of Light - for more FoL crits.[/hide]
[hide="Minor"]Minor glyphs can be whatever you like. My personal favorits are:

- Glyph of the Wise - for mana reasons. Its nice if you are sooo low on mana that you cant do anything but cast one last spell. Save that last mana for Judgement of Wisdom and change to Seal of Wisdom with holy weapons to recover faster (also use divine plea if you know you wont be healing soon and you know it wont get easaly dispelled). This glyph will reduce the seals mana cost.
- Glyph of Sense Undead - more dmg on dk/lock pets.
- Glyph of Blessing of Kings - for mana reasons. Same idea as the 1st minor glyph - to reduce mana cost. Kings isnt exactly a spell you will be using on yourself. However your bg/ arena/ world pvp friendoes will often need a rebuff. Another situation where you could need this, is if you have a BOSSLY amount of strenght (2.2k+ str), then kings at some point will be better then blessing of might (specialy when facing 2 or more opponents (non-mages)). Then rebuffing it would be essencial.[/hide]

6.IMPORTANT SPELLS AND HOW TO USE THEM (IMO=LOL /carepolice)
[/u][/b]
[hide="Hearthstone"]Ok this is a joke, but the next one is serious.[/hide]

[hide="Divine Shield"]Can be used a CC breaker or to prevent a burst or a killing blow. Careful with the 2 min debuff (forbidence was it?). After using BubbUR you wont be able to use Avenging wrath (A.K.A. wings) for 30 seconds and viceversa. You have to think ahead. Also, Bubble only reduces the dmg you do by 50%, but that doesn't mean you can't proc with Art of War.[/hide]

[hide="Hand of Sacrifice and Divine Sacrifice"]Used as a CC breaker or to split the dmg with between you and your party.
- Hand of Sac transfers dmg from the player you have casted it on to you, this way if you are about to get sapped, feared, polyed and you know it, and you have someone from your faction who is getting owned... cast it on him and the CC will break.
- Divine Sac on the other hand doesnt have to be casted on a target. As long as you have party/raid player around you taking dmg, you can break a CC. Knowing when to cast either of these spells is something of an art. It needs a lot of practice.[/hide]

[hide="Hand of Freedom"]This spell with Divine Purpose(talent) can break stuns. However as I mentioned in the intro it's more important to help then to save your own ass. Certain situations (when both you and your party member/partner are stuned) require you to freedom your partner since you are generaly not prioraty target. Also you can use it to break slows for your partner if he is focused and needs to escape fast. You on the other hand can clease since most slows/roots can be cleansed.[/hide]

[hide="Cleanse"]This is a wonderful spell, no CD and can remove fear (with exeption of the warriors fear), poly, roots, slows,venoms,deseases,etc. Get used to cleansing fears and polys from allies. The only time when this spell shouldn't be used is when Vampiric Touch or Unstable Affliction are up on either you or your party member. When that is the case then dispell with Purify.[/hide]

[hide="Hand of Protection"]This is usualy used on other players, its IMO completely useless to be casted on yourself. It can be used when target is on low HP, negate a burst (with Bladestorm for example), or when a rogue restealths with the intention to go for another opener on your partner or party player. Then you pre-HoP to avoid the stun and the incoming dmg. its hard to do, but with practice its achievable.[/hide]

[hide="Divine Protection and Hand of Salvation + Glyph"]These 2 are exelent for surviving bursts and significantly decrease dmg done to you. Note that Divine Protection puts Forbidance, so no bubble for the next 2 min and also no Wings for the next 30 seconds. You have to be ahead of the curve. Try using these to for dmg redution more and bubble to break cc's as a last resort when trinket is on CD.[/hide]

[hide="Sacred Shield (SS)"]You know what it does. Use it in bgs and arenas on whoever is getting focused, there is no need for it to be on you if there is no threat.[/hide]

[hide="Seal of Vengeance/Corruption"]Great way to keep those stealth basterds on combat so they cant restealth. Thats ofc if we forget about things like Shadow Cloak :D.[/hide]

[hide="Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defence"]Those 2 can be used to taunt players either to keep rogues and ferals from stealthing or to get fast in combat so you can prevent a sap. Those abilities have a 30 and a 40 yard range respectively. The HoR is caster directly on an enemy target while Righteous Defence is casted on an ally player WHO IS GETTING ATTACKED.[/hide]

6.1 Seals

[hide="Seal of Righteousness"]Primary Seals. Best with glyph and Seals of the Pure talent.[/hide]

[hide="Seal of Light"]A recovery seal some might say. However, i think this seal's healing effect is best used as a compensation for incoming dmg (against melee chars ofc). If you switch early to this seal (at around 50% HP) against a heavy hitting melee classes, it can significantly reduce the dmg you take, simply cuz...you're healing part of the dmg done to you. I pop this with holy weapons.[/hide]

[hide="Seal of Wisdom"]There will hardly ever be a need to use this seal, but if things are realy that F'ed up, have it macroed. I suggest using the minor glyph as well.[/hide]

[hide="Seal of Vengeance/Corruption"]Great way to keep those stealth basterds on combat so they cant restealth. Thats ofc if we forget about things like Shadow Cloak :D.[/hide]

[hide="Seal of Justice"]This Seal isnt entirely useless. You have to be careful with it though, cuz its efect puts a deminishing return (DR) on your Hammer of Justice spell. Use Hammer of Justice 1st and then the seal to simply interrupt spells from heavy hitting caster classes ( like a lock).If you use the seal 1st you'll have to wait 15 seconds after the last seal proc to use Hammer of Justice to its fullest.[/hide]

6.2 Auras
[/u][/b]
In case you wonder what auras to use against each class spec here's something that might help:
- Devotion Aura - Use this vs warriors and hunters with low Armor penetration.
- Retribution Aura - This one is against warriors and hunters with a lot of armor penetration, fast hitting classes like rogues and feral druids, also against ench shamans.
- Fire Resistance Aura - always vs Elemental shamans, destro and demon locks, and fire mages.
- Frost Resistance Aura - vs Frost mages.
- Shadow Resistance Aura - vs Shadow priests (lol really? no shit!), Affliction locks and DK's (mainly unholy)
- Concentration Aura - this one is good when you play arena WITH a caster. Dont use it at all times, because it depends on what you're playing against.

7.DAT WEAPON SWAP :3
[/u][/b]
Changing weapons in combat can boost your survivability by a lot, giving you the chance of surviving nearly impossibul situations. There are several things you should know about that:

- With a holy 1 hander + shield your SS has a higher absorbtion amount.
- Changing weapons during combat starts a new GCD(Global Cooldown), and you cant cast spells during a GCD.
- However, you CAN change weapons during a GCD.

Having this in mind I suggest changing weapons after casting a spell (during its GCD). This swap will start a new CD on top of the one that is curently going on. So what spells to swap with? Seals, change weapons with the seals and with divine protection. This way you get only 1 GCD.
[hide="Seals/weapons vs Weapons/libram"]Some guides would recomend to swap weapons with the librams, as i said before there is no need to use any other dps librams, FoL will be enough. Plus, you cant change libram, weapons and seals at the same time in a single GCD...for whatever reason. So (IMO) forget about the libram, its a waste.

I will give examples of macros in the next section so you can see what i have in mind, but just to put an example:
/cast Seal of Light
/equip <1 hander name>
/equip <shield here>[/hide]
- Another very important thing is that if you put cast SS on your party member, the amount absorbed is determined by your spellpower not his. So if you change to 1 hander + shield he will get higher absorb.
- Also changing to holy weps is a great way to recover mana fast. Shield + 1 hander increases your mana pool. If you cast a Judgement or Divine Plea like that you will recover a % of your curent mana, so when you swap back to a 2 hander you gain that same number of mana points over a smaller mana pool.
- Remember what i said about Seal of Vengeance/ Corruption... well due to the fact that the holy 1 hander is faster, SoV is easier to stack. Make a macro for that seal/weapons combo.

8.MACROS
[/u][/b]
1: Weapon/seal change macro (from 2 hander to 1 hander + shield and seal)

Code: Select all

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Seal of Corruption;[mod:Ctrl] Seal of Wisdom;[mod:Alt] Seal of Justice;[mod:Shift] Seal of Righteousness
/eq [mod:Shift] item:<2 hander ID here>;item:<1 hander ID here>
/eq item:<shield here>
Note: using the items ID numbers, insted of the hole name, ocupies a lot less space, which is handy if you are a freak like me, who has everything in 2 bars. Macro-ing 3-4 spells in a single button will be hard the traditional way. The IDs you can get from WoWhead. If you search for the item and open its descritpion page, in the URL link there should be a 5 digit number after the "=", that's what you wana get.

2: CS/Shield of righteousness macro (Credit to Justicelight and Diryn for creating the original macro, Diabla for giving it to me :D , and I made a slight modification)

#showtooltip 
/startattack
/castsequence [@mouseover,exists][equipped:shields] reset=4 Crusader Strike,Shield of Righteousness;Crusader Strike
The way this works is: if you have a target and a 2 hander it will cast CS, if you have shield it will cast CS and then SoR on that target. But if you are with a shield and you have a mouseover target it will cast CS on it and then SoR on the mouseover. Also, if you use CS and then you dont use SoR in the next 4 seconds (which is the cd of CS), the macro will reset. I use this to kill totems, since in 3.3.5 blizzard made it impossibru to target totems with macros >:(

3: HoF macro(same type of macro is can be used for HoP, HoSac, Cleanse, Purify, Flash of Light, Holy Light and most importantly Sacred Shield:

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod,@mouseover,exists] Hand of Freedom;[nomod] Hand of Freedom;[mod:Shift,@party1] Hand of Freedom;[mod:Alt,@focus] Hand of Freedom;[mod:Ctrl,@party2] Hand of Freedom
4: dat taunt macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod,harm] Hand of Reckoning;[nomod,noharm] Righteous Defence;[mod:Alt,harm,@focus] Hand of Reckoning,[mod:Alt,noharm,@focus] Righteous Defence;[mod:Shift,@party1] Righteous Defence;[mod:Ctrl:@party2] Righteous Defence
5: Bubble macro (same style can be used and should be used for: Avenging wrath and Divine Plea)

#showtooltip
/cast Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Intervention
/cancelaura Hand of Protection
1st press of this macro = bubble, 2nd press = removes Bubble, HoP, Divine Intervention in case some confused paladin fggt uses any of the 2 on you by mistake.
Canceling Divine Plea is vital when you have an Art of War proc and you desperatly need a heal. /cancelaura Divine Plea to get 100% of the heal.

6: Judgement macro: casts Judgement of Justice on your mouseover target if it exists and there is no modifier...might be a little confusing, but dont let your confusion cloud your judgement (no pun intended). Its a nice macro. :)

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod,@mouseover,exists] Judgement of Justice;[nomod] Judgement of Light
/cast [mod:Shift] Judgement of Justice
/cast [mod:Ctrl] Judgement of Wisdom
7: Simple weapons swap:

#showtooltip
/eq [worn:Shields] item:<ID number of the 2 hander here>;item:<ID of 1 hander here>
/eq <shield name here>
8:Avenging wrath+2hander. This is for when you have a 1hander + shield equiped and you want to start a burst fast, like going from defence to offence quickly:

#showtooltip
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast <spell*>
/use item:<ID of trinket*> (dps trinket if you have a castable one,mainly for humans)
/use item:<ID of engineering item*> (this can be Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket or Thermal charge from goblin engi)
/cast <racial*> (that line is best used by belfs(Aracane Torent) or dwarfs(Stoneform))
/eq item:<ID of 2 hander here>
Note: <spell> can be many things, best choices are either a Judgement or Exorcism, cuz both benefit from the spell power increase the you get from being with 1 hander and shield (if you have then equiped ofc). That bonus manafests as increased dmg. Ofc, casting exorcism like that is only possible if you have art of war up.
Another option is putting Flash of Light. Also be careful with the racials. Have them also binded separetly somewhere else for just in case.

* Big Thanks to Justicelight for giving the idea. Mate, im digging this macro thanks to you! :D

9: Auras. Here is a suggestion how to change from aura to aura without having to click it.

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] !Retribution Aura
/cast [mod:Shift] !Fire Resistance Aura
/cast [mod:Alt] !Shadow Resistance Aura
/cast [mod:Ctrl] !Frost Resistance Aura
Ofc the modifierts can be changed acording to your liking. Its important that you put "!" infrot of every aura name so that it doesnt accidentaly remove the aura when you spam the macro or double press it by mistake.

10: This is one of my personal favorits.

#showtooltip item:36892 (this is the fel healthstone ID)
/eq [nocombat] item:<1 hander ID>
/eq [nocombat] item:<shield ID>
/cancelaura Divine Plea
/cast [nomod] Flash of Light;[mod:Alt,@focus] Flash of Light;[mod:Shift,@party1] Flash of Light;[mod:Ctrl,@party2] Flash of Light
/use [nomod] item:36892
If you dont use modifiers it will change to 1 hander and shield if you are out of combat, cast FoL on your target and use Fel Healthstone if you got one. If you press it with ALT - it will swap weapons if out of combat and use FoL on focus. A pressing with CTRL or SHIFT will do the same as with ALT but it will heal party2 and party1 respectivly. Also cancels Divine Plea regardless of what Modifier you are using.

11: Divine Protection + weapon swap + seal of light.

#showtooltip
/eq item:<1hander ID>
/eq item:<shield ID>
/cast Divine Protection
/cast Seal of LIght
12: imba defence macro. VERY IMPORTANTBind it you Mouse Wheel!!! its a reaction spell. Much pro, very skill, wow, best pala w-eu.

#showtooltip
/lol
/rofl
/spit
/rude
/bye
/castsequence Divine Protection,Hearthstone
9.ARENA COMPS FOR 2s
[/u][/b]
As a ret paladin it's recomended to play 2's with another dps. Even though you have an insane amount of burst, in 2v2 you will have trouble killing a healer since you dont have healing reduction effects like Mortal Strike. Here are the most common comps, the 1st 3 being the most succesful.
[hide="Double DPS comps"]1: Sub Rogue/Ret
2: Frost Mage/Ret
3: MM Huntard/Ret
4: Enh Shaman/Ret - see Ribbaz's Enhancement PVP guide for more info. Generaly its an awesome and very enduring comp.
5: Arms Warrior/Ret
6: Unholy Dk/Ret
7: Shadow Priest/Ret[/hide]
The thing i said earlier, about the need to play double dps, doesnt mean you can't be gay and play with a healer. So here are the most "succesful" heal teams.
[hide="Healer Comps"]1: Disc Priest/Ret
2: Resto Shaman/Ret[/hide]

10.TACTICS
[/u][/b]
Since there is already a topic on the subject, here's the link. Start at post 10 by Diryn.

And he's some arena videos and tutorials made by the God Of Retribution himself:
(/bow @ Tehseus)
WARNING: The following material might be inappropriate for noobs. Viewer discretion advised.
Ret/Mage + Ret/Destro (Part 1)
Ret/Mage + Ret/Destro (Part 2)
Tutorial Ret/Mage vs the fag comp

10.1 Addons
[/size][/u][/b]
CLCret - Helps you with the rotation, can be used in both pvp and pve.
Doom_CouldownPulse - this addon flashes the icon of the spells whos CD has just finnished.
Gladius - Ya'll know what this does. Arena Addon.
SpellAlerter - This one informs you whenever the spells/debuffs/Buffs (that you have selected) are being casted, on who are they casted and by whom.
Debuff Filter - Dfilter shows you what debuffs or buffs you, your focus and/or target have.
LoseControl - Nice addon for keeping track of CCs on enemys , party members, focus and yourself.
PallyPower - With this addon you can easaly buff and rebuff party/raid members.
SnowFallKeyPress -an addon that accelerates your keybindings making casting easier.

11.OUTRO
[/size][/u][/b]
I hope that this will cover atleast the basics.

Also I'm not here say that this is right and whatever you're doing is wrong. I just want this basic info to be easy to find so we can all learn and improve. Constructive criticism is welcome. In case i have forgotten something ill be sure to expand on any of the 11 sections of the guide.

Again sorry for the butchered grammer. Atleast the presentation is good. I can only hope the quality and quantity of the information are as well.
Last edited by Cyrius on 28 Dec 2013 21:45, edited 34 times in total.

Justicelight
Donor

Re: [GUIDE] Cy's Ret PVP guide - 3.3.5

#2 » Post by Justicelight » 04 Aug 2013 23:04

I'm so happy to see this :D
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Justicelight
Donor

#3 » Post by Justicelight » 04 Aug 2013 23:13

Btw, if you want to change only weapons without casting diferent seals, just use the macro 1 and macro 2 shown in this guide, while ur spells are under GCD effect.

And also Cyrius, there is a topic made by Discarnate where Diryn posted how to counter diferent classes 1vs1 from a retribution paladin point of view.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Cyrius

#4 » Post by Cyrius » 04 Aug 2013 23:35

@ Justicelight: Thanks mate! Added both the simple weapons macro and the link to the Problems & solutions in pvp threat.
Also added:
- 2 more arena double dps comps
- Changed the color of the section names, cuz i couldnt read dark purple. :lol:
- Links to Justicelight, Diabla and Diryn armories
- Glyphs
- Few Errors corrected
- Extended Specs section.

Arashikage

#5 » Post by Arashikage » 08 Aug 2013 12:45

Nice guide, the hearthstone thing cracked me up. Here's some information that you can add if you wish to, sheath of light does not affect merely healing power, the spellpower from it also figures into the holy damage you deal, hence more SP = more damage (in this case SP from sheath, not raw SP).

Cyrius

#6 » Post by Cyrius » 05 Sep 2013 23:07

Bump!
- Added some links.
- Reorganised some of the information.
- Added Auras info.
- Addons.

Rain

#7 » Post by Rain » 08 Sep 2013 04:52

Nice thx

Justicelight
Donor

#8 » Post by Justicelight » 09 Sep 2013 02:34

Cy`, at macro 9 "/cast AW /equip 2h" you can add a spell too because Avenging Wrath doesnt give global cooldown (GCD) and putting a /cast before /equip makes both of them posible in same time.

Because with the current state of your macro you still get a gcd for switching weapons, so why not adding a instant heal boosted by wings or maybe a judgement since you have a lot of spell power for it from the equipped 1hand.

For example:
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast <damaging ability> or /cast Flash of Light
/equip <2h>

Cyrius

#9 » Post by Cyrius » 16 Dec 2013 18:57

I've changed almost the entire macro section, making some new and updating the old. These might result shorter. My only worry is the 1st one since i currently cant log to see how the entire macro was.
You can always test it for yourselves or ask Justicelight for improvements, other wise you'll have to wait till February for an update when i get unbanned.

For those of you who dont know, in case you are wondering (which i doubt...most of you probly dont give a flying !@#$), I have to study...hard. So i deleted WoW and asked Slardar to ban both my accounts till the 2nd of Feb. My last exam is 31st of january, but the ban is till the 2nd cuz on 1st of feb ill be drunk. :!:

Peace out.

Byron

#10 » Post by Byron » 03 Feb 2014 11:47

Really great guide man, though I was wondering if you'd make a section on keybinding. The only problem I'm facing is getting comfortable keys to bind. :P

Justicelight
Donor

#11 » Post by Justicelight » 03 Feb 2014 12:47

Here are my binds:

Q - divine storm
Shift-Q - Hand of Freedom
Alt-Q - Righteous Fury
F - BoM
Ctrl-F - Hammer of Justice
Ctrl-C - Repentance
1 - Flash of Light
Shift-1 - Holy Light
2 - JoL
Shift-2- JoW
3 - Consecration
Shift-3 - BoK
4 - Exorcism
5 - JoJ
E - Crusader Strike
Z - Hammer of Wrath
Shift-X - Avenging Wrath (wings)
Shift-Z - 1h+shield/2h wep changing macro
Shift-V - Holy Wrath
R - Sacred Shield
T - Cleanse

Byron

#12 » Post by Byron » 03 Feb 2014 13:42

Hmmm... I'm currently using binds on the Number pad and using the arrow keys to move. Kinda hard sometimes :d

I'll try out something similar to yours with W A S D to move :D

Cyrius

#13 » Post by Cyrius » 03 Feb 2014 14:31

@Byron

Sorry for the late reply.

Ill give you my suggestion on key bind here and later i may post something general. I still dont know how i should do it cuz binds is pretty much a personal preference. That being said here are my keybinds:

` - Divine plea
1 - weapon change/ swapactionbar 1 2
2 - hand of freedom
3 - hand of sacrifice/Divine sacrifice
4 - hand of protection/divine shield
5 - hand of salvation
Q - divine storm/holy wrath*****
E - Judgements/Consacration
R - hammer of Justice
T - repentance
S - Sacred Shield
F - Flash of light
G - Holy light
Z - arcane torent/ swapactionbar 1 3
X -purify
C - clease
V - pvp trinket/food
B - wings
Space - Righteous fury/ blessing of kings/jump
Tab - Target nearest enemy player
Shift tab - target nearest friendy player
Mouse scroll up - Exorcism/turn evil/Hand of reckoning/hammer of wrath
Mouse scroll down - Crusader strike/HoR
Mouse button 4 - seals
Mouse button 5 - Divine protection+hand of salvation
Middle mouse button - a macro that swaps my focus with my target and viceversa.

I use a standart 5 button mouse nothing fancy, move with WASD witch suits my play style, cuz i need easy access to the modifiers (Shift = party1/arena1,Ctrl = party2/arena2 and Alt = focus). Anything else i didnt mention is on action bars 2 and 3 with the same keys.

Try it if you want and you will notice its easy to access the rotation spells ( For those hard to reach places :D ) as well as abilities that are on a longer CD but need to be casted quickly.

The other alternative is to use ESDF to move which makes reaching the mods harder, but you get 2 extra keys (W and A). Its generaly good for faster reaction speed but limits the number of key combos.

Justicelight wrote: Q - divine storm
/highfive

Retrograded

#14 » Post by Retrograded » 03 May 2014 01:07

I wouldn't use that bubble macro myself. Spamming Divine Shield in between global cool-downs could cause you to accidentally cancel it immediately and, you know... die. In an embarrassing manner. I put "/cancelaura Divine Shield" on my wings bind since the two can never be used at the same time; it causes no issues and is a lot safer and easier to use.

Justicelight
Donor

#15 » Post by Justicelight » 20 Jun 2014 23:16

Okay Retrogaded but you will also need a wings cancel aura macro for the spell steals agaisnt mages, I think u can put that on Divine Shield