Are Protection Paladins viable?

andilega

Are Protection Paladins viable?

#1 » Post by andilega » 11 Jan 2017 00:16

Greetings everyone!

So, I've just created a Paladin on PrimalWoW, and I have a few questions to ask the community, since I'm really not a HC player, and didn't spend much time playing Paladins in pre-Cata expansions. Thank you all in advance for answering my dumb questions, and have a nice! :D

1. Are Prot Paladins viable in PvE?
2. Are Prot Paladins needed in dungeons/raids?
3. Can Prot Paladins deliver in low-levels like Prot Warriors can?
4. Should I reconsider playing a Prot Paladin, and go for Holy instead?

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

Re: Are Protection Paladins viable?

#2 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 11 Jan 2017 04:01

1. Prot paladins have basically everything they need but there isnt a lot of gear available that is targetted towards prot until TBC.
2. Tanks are always in demand for 5mans. Once you get to the raid level most guilds have established, well geared tanks so demand is less there and its harder to break in as a tank. If you meant are prot Paladins in demand versus Warriors or feral Druids, then the answer is not at all.
3. Revenge is a killer ability that allows prot warriors to cruise, but prot paladins are fully able to tank at low levels in dungeons and level easily enough.
4. Holy is much more in demand, but if you want to tank and not heal it might be miserable for you. If you do want to tank, I would advise rolling warrior unless ice skating uphill :p.

Good luck either way,
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

andilega

#3 » Post by andilega » 11 Jan 2017 12:29

Thank you very much! I'll consider tanking as a Prot Paladin, maybe go as Holy, since I don't really mind healing, only DPS is not my thing. Thanks again! :D

Stoneform

#4 » Post by Stoneform » 17 Feb 2017 17:38

Don't misunderstand what Fitz is saying. Prot Pally is totally viable all the way through all 5 man content. He's just saying being a Prot Warrior is easier. An 5 man dungeon will welcome a Prot Pally. Prot questing is a little slower than Prot Warrior, but it is not worth giving up on the spec. Lastly, and I don't know if Fitz wants to hear this, once TBC drops, Prot Pallies will actually start to out preform Prot Warriors and Bears and become the preferred tank. You might be best served learning to Pally tank now.

jetteroo

#5 » Post by jetteroo » 23 Sep 2017 05:22

Results have shown that prot paladins in pw in tbc stage r lagging behind prot warrior both in dps and threat. That's not in doubt.

RF been boosted to 100% on PW to give prot paladins a boost, but still lagging behind.

It's probably because warriors are strong more than fact that paladins are weak per se

As a prot paladins it's very gear intensive you need different set of gear to make it work.

Please do look up the post on prot paladins single target threat in community forums section to see more details.

Stavromoon

#6 » Post by Stavromoon » 23 Sep 2017 13:06

"RF been boosted to 100% on PW" - I'm trying to find the meaning of these initials and come up with several. Can you clarify?

I have a pally now which I am leveling as RET but I plan to double spec as PROT. However, I will be concentrating on STR, STAM, DEF etc and NOT on spell power, in anticipation of WotLK

IronSharona
Former Staff

#7 » Post by IronSharona » 23 Sep 2017 14:27

Stavromoon wrote:
23 Sep 2017 13:06
"RF been boosted to 100% on PW" - I'm trying to find the meaning of these initials and come up with several. Can you clarify?
RF here means Righteous Fury. It is the buff that allows you to generate a certain extra threat percentage when dealing holy damage. Things like Consecrate, for example, will cause more threat for you if Righteous Fury is active.
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#8 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 23 Sep 2017 15:31

Can we not necro threads because we're upset?
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick