Arcane => Fre Mage, GS treshold?

Raxxo

Arcane => Fre Mage, GS treshold?

#1 » Post by Raxxo » 15 Jan 2013 20:33

I'm an Arcane mage with 5k GS now, but I'm planning to switch to Fire soon because Arcane is bloody boring :D
When should I switch?

Dragonmaster

Re: Arcane => Fre Mage, GS treshold?

#2 » Post by Dragonmaster » 16 Jan 2013 03:11

T9, and aim for at least 40% crit.

Mithrandir

#3 » Post by Mithrandir » 16 Jan 2013 03:53

Your DPS output on fire honestly will be lower, until you have more end-game gear. At this moment my mage is at about 5,7k gearscore, to use that as a measurement, and Arcane still has a higher DPS output than Fire has.

Dragonmaster

#4 » Post by Dragonmaster » 16 Jan 2013 07:57

But what is your crit at? how much haste do you have? are you useing set bonus's? and the glyphs/talents? I have seen fire mages pulling 8k+ in ~5k GS

Mithrandir

#5 » Post by Mithrandir » 16 Jan 2013 11:56

Yeah that's what I was going to do, as seen in the video in another thread here I wanted to contact that mage somehow, because my DPS seems like it can be tweaked a lot, indeed. I'll update this post with my crit/haste etc. in a sec. EDIT: Currently at 38,7% crit and 17,92% haste, which is most likely the main reason. Now I did know that and that's most likely the reason. Just gotta gem up a bit more.
Also I am currently using the T10 2pc bonus. Am hitcapped and using Glyphs of Fireball, Living Bomb and Molten Armor, basically the BiS glyphs for fire. Talents are the most commonly used spec, except that I do not have TTW, since I do not know how often a raid boss will be slowed/snared. AFAIK that's hardly ever.
Regardless, I'm working hard to get my mage where I want it to be, so I'll be fine, just gotta practice some more. I spend lots of time on dummies, but that's not everything either.

Dragonmaster

#6 » Post by Dragonmaster » 16 Jan 2013 12:09

You may have better luck going FFB, rather then fireball. Similiar rotation but emphasis is placed upon frost fire bolt instead of fireball(as you likely guessed by the names) This also gives you a few extra talents to spend at your leisure. other then that, boosting your crit (which is below my t9 mage's, something i need to change as well) would be a huge benefit

Mithrandir

#7 » Post by Mithrandir » 16 Jan 2013 18:34

Yes indeed, it would be a huge benefit, and I think I have some gem sockets open, so more crit can be added ^^

Raxxo

#8 » Post by Raxxo » 16 Jan 2013 18:44

I switched back to Arcane again after I discovered I did 2,6k dps and my fireball had 2,4 secs casting time haha.
I'll try again with t10 pieces.

Raxxo

#9 » Post by Raxxo » 25 Feb 2013 17:46

I have 5,8k gs now, and I found out that Arcane is still superior to fire vs single targets.
With fire I have more dps clearing trash in raids, but seriously, who cares about that.
Also, since Arcane PvE mages give a 3% buff to the whole raid (which for some classes scales very well because of various bugs) I think the most viable way to play Mage is Arcane.
Sure, Fire is more complicated in it's rotation and maybe more fun to play, but it's definitely not better than Arcane.

Mithrandir

#10 » Post by Mithrandir » 26 Feb 2013 02:14

When you manage to reach 70% Crit, Fire is definitely better, since you'll be having PB procs every other cast... But it's really a lot more luck based than Arcane, which always has a steady output.

mhorth

#11 » Post by mhorth » 13 Jul 2013 22:03

One inherent benefit that arcane will always have over fire/frostfire is that you can control burst much more. Someone once explained it as gears in a car. Arcane allows you to "change gears" based on the situation. For example, you're low on mana, you can do ABx2 and then AM, hardly using any mana. Or you have full mana, BL just got popped, and all your trinkets proc, ABx8/9 and then AM. With fire you follow the same pattern all the time, there is no option: "oh BL popped, I should change my rotation to maximize the benefit." For me that's where the fun comes in on arcane, granted with insane crit you may pull more dps as fire, but I like the control Arcane offers.

Cyrius

#12 » Post by Cyrius » 19 Aug 2013 17:03

mhorth wrote: For example, you're low on mana, you can do ABx2 and then AM, hardly using any mana. Or you have full mana, BL just got popped, and all your trinkets proc, ABx8/9 and then AM.
What the hell are you talking about? Here's the all the skill you need to play arcane, not only in 4.0 but in all patches of the game. => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISsOjfHgtws

emsy
Former Staff

#13 » Post by emsy » 19 Aug 2013 18:05

If u think arcane is boring, then simply don't play it.

Your options are:

ffb http://www.gamingconsortium.org/tools/t ... Iccoc:LIio
fireball http://www.gamingconsortium.org/tools/t ... ubust:LVio

most noteworthy differences:
- main nuke spell
- glyph change
- icy veins vs focus magic
- permanently lower mana cost vs. clearcasting

some prefer to omit bw/db/firestarter and go for full Playing with Fire and Master of Elements, but i just love fireworks on trash