How to kill a Death Knight

Killfreeze

How to kill a Death Knight

#1 » Post by Killfreeze » 21 Jun 2011 16:39

So I do find it easy to kill some newbie DKs who don't know what Chains of ice is and blah blah blah, but going against a true PWNage death knight is difficult, so what are your tactics on defeating the Death Knight?

Flagg

Re: How to kill a Death Knight

#2 » Post by Flagg » 21 Jun 2011 19:36

Watching his power to know when he can spare one of those dk shadow bolts of pwnage, and not blinking unless they death grip you. Also, they generally don't have major CCs, so in 1vs1 situations it might be ok to blow a trinket in order to get rid of a silence debuff.
I suppose there's more to it, but that's basically what I can say and keep it short.

Gurdjieff

#3 » Post by Gurdjieff » 22 Jun 2011 22:19

Some important tips ive found:
*The most important thing is just stay away from them, if you manage to do that you win.
*Also FROST WARD on ALL THE TIME. You absorb their frost spells without using your ice barrier.
*If they open with death grip I use frost nova and go still running or do deep freeze so I go on running, and put some cool frost bolts.
*Improved counterspell is so useful when you are far from them they get 4 seconds of no shield, no death coil, no chains... nothing.
*If they run to you and use the annoying chains, use frost nova and deep freeze, they do that in order to save death grip when you cant use blink, so dont blnk after it save it for DG.
*Save Ice block to absorb the damage when you can't control him: Youre deathgripped and blink or Deep Freeze is on CD=Ice block. The dk has anti magic shield and hes on you=Ice block.
*Its also cool to save mirrors when their shield is gone or when running away, those snares are great.
*if you can open with poly to gain some extra distance it is really useful.
*When silenced if you have enough distance just keep on running away from him, if hes on you= Iceblock.
I know some of the stuff i said could seem obvious but when youre figthing some obvious stuff isnt that obvious.
I hope I helped :D
Let me introduce myself: I'm Gurdjieff and...
I rolled a Warlock but Rogues raped me all the time
so I rolled a Rogue but Warriors raped me all the time
so I rolled a Warrior but Mages raped me all the time
so I rolled a Mage but Warlocks raped me all the time
so I rolled a Warlock but...

Killfreeze

#4 » Post by Killfreeze » 24 Jun 2011 13:38

yea thats very useful man :D thanks

Gurdjieff

#5 » Post by Gurdjieff » 30 Jun 2011 06:57

Hey i got another tip (i get raped by good dks too :D)
- Use Mage Armor. Strangulate and all of their snares will be half duration.
I've jst tried it. It is really helpful.
Let me introduce myself: I'm Gurdjieff and...
I rolled a Warlock but Rogues raped me all the time
so I rolled a Rogue but Warriors raped me all the time
so I rolled a Warrior but Mages raped me all the time
so I rolled a Mage but Warlocks raped me all the time
so I rolled a Warlock but...

djoka

#6 » Post by djoka » 16 Jan 2013 20:54

but unholy dk not use too much frost so that FROST WARD isn't so much helpful :S but as you say mage armor is wery useful :D

fabre

#7 » Post by fabre » 10 Feb 2013 22:48

the way to fight a DK is very sensitive, too many options, but in the end you win if make them burn AMS DG and strangulate
you should be using the glyph of icy veins regardless of who you fight or where, that thing is awesome

let's assume you both have all cd's and that you have no outside influence (like a duel of sorts)
as soon as you see him you can put barrier and frost ward so their cd keeps rolling, mage armor is the way to go here so you can eat the half-duration strangulate, also you can jump their chains to gain a few feet of distance, if you're mounted is much easier to put that distance

if he's a good dk he'll try to cut as much distance with a mount and jumping and put chains on you, if you end outside his melee range when both engage you can start with a nova and deep of the bat so you get the kill with the next deep out of cd, if you end in melee of him you can wait for the root from your shield to get him and then deep him

a good trick against seasoned dk's is that they always expect you to save blink for grip, you can get advantage of that if you blink from their opener and they'll insta grip you, if they pop ams or strangulate or both afterwards feel free to use ice block and sit on it untill ams runs, then you can nova and lay waste on him removing the chains with icy veins

if they use ams when they are snare and/or outside melee range you got it easy afterwards because it means you're the one putting pressure, but if they use a chain of strangulate+ pet stun and ams you're in big trouble so feel free to use the trinket or any other panic button

the elemental is great to put pressure with the extra root, extra points if you catch both dk and ghoul on the same nova

your blanket silence makes a great cc chain for him, you can root him and silence then deep him when silence is about to fade, or you can use it if he's low on life and about to use death pact as long as you think you can kill him during those 4 seconds

Id say mages have it easy agaisnt dk's i think warriors and sub rogues are harder oponents

hunters, destro locks and good shadow priest are just a free trip to the GY

Ragnorak
Donor

#8 » Post by Ragnorak » 10 Feb 2013 23:16

some serious necroing going on here
Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.

I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - FOR THE HORDE!

fabre

#9 » Post by fabre » 11 Feb 2013 17:16

hah, i didn't realize, i'm a retail forum poster, so is an habit to assume anything i the front page has less than few hours up, my bad

Myaoming
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Myaoming » 11 Feb 2013 19:12

http://www.truewow.org/forum/search.php ... ive_topics
This should help you find the active topics :P
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Skaar

#11 » Post by Skaar » 08 Mar 2013 22:47

Any advice for arcane mages? ;3

Darchrow
Donor

#12 » Post by Darchrow » 08 Mar 2013 23:40

yes. embrace death
teh char list ( 80s ) :
Jynx / Zubat / Alyce ( Swagmourne ) / Discord / Redtube
Disruption / Perplexity / Magejkdruid / Swagstormxqt ( Swagmobile )
Vinegar ~ Lvl 51 Rogue

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

[Guild] [Angrycow]: nice to meet u im Sava and im really horny person

kindzadza ily

emsy
Former Staff

#13 » Post by emsy » 03 Jul 2013 03:13

Glyph of Icy Veins = priceless (x2 with cold snap)