Mage leveling

Mathenor00

Mage leveling

#1 » Post by Mathenor00 » 21 Nov 2016 22:58

What is the spec for leveling a mage on primal wow? I found many leveling guides for mages but they are for level 80. Can you put the build you used while leveling?

Fastor

Re: Mage leveling

#2 » Post by Fastor » 22 Nov 2016 00:23

As usual due to lots of spells doing better at higher level, frost spec is best for leveling since you slow enemies incoming on you and even if they live to reach you, you got shield.

Here is up to level 40 http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculator#oZZAccckbu0fz

At start you should strive to get Frostbite 3/3 so you got chance to keep enemy stuck far from you so you dont lose HP, after it priority is Precision 3/3 since you would need it when attacking higher level mobs. Between those two talents do Improved Frostbolt 5/5 since you are going to spam it all time.

You are now in pursuit of getting talent Shatter 3/3 but to unlock it you 4 more talents, l recommend Improved Blizzard 1/3 only one point just to add chill effect onto Blizzard spell so if you pull whole pile of mobs, Blizzard would slow them and with Frostbite, stun them. Also get Piercing Ice 3/3 to increase your damage done, which is better than Ice Shards since your crit rating would be still low to trigger it. After Improved Blizzard 1/3 and Piercing Ice 3/3 get Shatter 3/3 to increase crit rating on stunned enemies.

Your last stop would be Ice Barrier 1/1 via talent Winters Chill 3/3 which would increase your crit rating, however those talents are locked so you need to go other talents. l recommend getting Arctic Reach 2/2 first then Ice Shards 3/3. Grab Icy Veins 1/1 since its nice and we need one more talent anyway.

After that your path is clear, you grab Cold Snap 1/1 which is on way toward Ice Barrier 1/1, you grab Winters Chill 3/3 and since you missing 2 more talents to unlock Ice Barrier 1/1, you get Cold as Ice 2/2 which reduce Cooldown on Ice Barrier which is nice. And you get Ice Barrier and you are covered.

Taking 2 points in Improved Fire Blast might look nice at start, but later you will just spam Frostbolt all the time so its not so nice when you need talents, but never the less its still useful. Also after you get Ice Barrier, consider Permafrost to slow enemies even more and Ice Floes to reduce CD on Frost Nova for those moments when bunch of mobs are chasing you.

Frost Warding is waste actually, since point is to keep mobs slowed while you move away a bit before you shoot another Frostbolt and not to hold them off with your Armor.

Rotation: have Frost Armor/Arcane Intelect > cast Ice Barrier (Frost or Fire Ward if needed) > polymorph one mob if there are two of them > cast one Frostbolt at enemy > cast Ice Veins if mob does not have very few HP or its on CD > continue spamming Frostbolt > if enemy is getting too close to you start moving away but use Fire Blast since its instant cast > turn around and continue Frostbolt before debuff goes off mob > recast Ice Barrier if needed.

PS: Sorry for small comment, lm tired and cant explain more.

Mathenor00

#3 » Post by Mathenor00 » 22 Nov 2016 09:09

Thank you very much for the detailed guide. You answered almost all my questions. If it's not a problem, could you tell me where to put the rest of the talents?

Fastor

#4 » Post by Fastor » 22 Nov 2016 11:20

Mathenor00 wrote:Thank you very much for the detailed guide. You answered almost all my questions. If it's not a problem, could you tell me where to put the rest of the talents?
http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... IcIkbu0fdx

Hm, after you get Ice Barrier get Shattered Barrier 2/2 which is free Frost Nova in case mob slaps you too hard and your Ice Barrier collapse, then get Ice Flows 3/3 to reduce CD on Frost Nova and Icy Veins, after that go for Permafrost which means incoming mobs would be slower and give you more chance to survive. Last one would be Artic Winds 5/5 that increase your damage, l usually would never pick that talent but since on PW talents are limited, Artic Winds seems best solution.

Now all this would cover you up to lvl 55 and l see no point thinking around whats best for leveling since its 5 lvls to cap. Just place anywhere since you would reset talents as soon as you hit lvl 60. At level 55 it would be wise to start asking mages around server what is best talent distribution on PW, since all other lvl 60 guides would not apply since PW runs on 3.3.5a and unlike them, l did not do math about lvl 60 :)

Check these two in game http://www.truewow.org/armory/character ... yo&realm=p http://www.truewow.org/armory/character ... ue&realm=p l found them on achi list and their talents are similar so there must be some pattern why they use those talents.
Last edited by Fastor on 22 Nov 2016 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Gnurg

#5 » Post by Gnurg » 22 Nov 2016 11:30

Fastor wrote:
Mathenor00 wrote:Thank you very much for the detailed guide. You answered almost all my questions. If it's not a problem, could you tell me where to put the rest of the talents?
http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... IcIkbu0fdx

Hm, after you get Ice Barrier get Shattered Barrier 2/2 which is free Frost Nova in case mob slaps you too hard and your Ice Barrier collapse, then get Ice Flows 3/3 to reduce CD on Frost Nova and Icy Veins, after that go for Permafrost which means incoming mobs would be slower and give you more chance to survive. Last one would be Artic Winds 5/5 that increase your damage, l usually would never pick that talent but since on PW talents are limited, Artic Winds seems best solution.

Now all this would cover you up to lvl 55 and l see no point thinking around whats best for leveling since its 5 lvls to cap. Just place anywhere since you would reset talents as soon as you hit lvl 60. At level 55 it would be wise to start asking mages around server what is best talent distribution on PW, since all other lvl 60 guides would not apply since PW runs on 3.3.5a and unlike them, l did not do math about lvl 60 :)

Check these two in game http://www.truewow.org/armory/character.php?n=Raelyo http://www.truewow.org/armory/character ... ue&realm=p l found them on achi list and their talents are similar so there must be some pattern why they use those talents.
Raelyo is Fastor, confirmed!
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Mathenor00

#6 » Post by Mathenor00 » 22 Nov 2016 12:07

Again, thank you very much for the guide and all the info.

Fastor

#7 » Post by Fastor » 22 Nov 2016 12:55

Gnurg wrote:Raelyo is Fastor, confirmed!
??

Fastor is Fastor lvl 1, character made for testing addon that l made and kept to prevent people taking my name and going around telling its me.

Deim

#8 » Post by Deim » 22 Nov 2016 14:36

Amg Rae bae and sinners dad are getting famous :p
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.