Frost Mage PvE

spectralzenith

Frost Mage PvE

#1 » Post by spectralzenith » 01 Aug 2016 05:41

Hello, I like experimenting and trying new things, so I'm considering trying a Frost Mage in PvE, as the title says. If I don't like the DPS in heroic dungeons, I'll skip the raiding part with that spec of course. The Frost talent tree seems to have nice DPS-boosting talents, but I'm still leveling my mage and I don't know how does exactly work. I have a several questions about it.

1. Some abilities have chill effects, but most bosses are immune to slows. Will the chill effect be applied to them anyway? WIll Fingers of Frost proc during boss fights and improve my DPS?
2. As you may know, Glyph of Frostbolt increases the damage of Frostbolt, but removes the slow effect. If I take that glyph, will I keep my spells' chill effects?
3. What is the stat priority for Frost? I can barely find any guides for that spec because people say it is not viable for PvE, but it seems fun and I really want to try it.
4. Will the hit chance from Precision stack with Arcane Focus?

Justicelight
Donor

Re: Frost Mage PvE

#2 » Post by Justicelight » 01 Aug 2016 08:03

1. Yes. Even torment the weak works when boss have attack speed decreasing buffs.
2. Yes. Slow effect is not triggering on boss from frostbolt anyway.
3. Haste if you want to try it, cap your frostbolt at 1 second with all the possible buffs during raid.
4. It's a vague tooltip, but I would consider that you are not getting the hit for frost spells. Only precision, 3%, should be considered.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Wilcox

#3 » Post by Wilcox » 01 Aug 2016 09:30

hello, believe me I tried this but deep freeze is bugged afaik and other specs are simply superior

Fastor

#4 » Post by Fastor » 01 Aug 2016 09:33

1. Some abilities have chill effects, but most bosses are immune to slows. Will the chill effect be applied to them anyway? WIll Fingers of Frost proc during boss fights and improve my DPS?
  • Chill effect from any source other than FoF wont have any impact unless you planed that Permafrost reduce 20% healing gained on Anubarak Phase 3 or General Vezex. Only FoF will give you benefits of Shatter and Deep Freeze.
2. As you may know, Glyph of Frostbolt increases the damage of Frostbolt, but removes the slow effect. If I take that glyph, will I keep my spells' chill effects?
  • Not that l tested would it apply Permafrost 20% reduced healing, but lm sure only benefit you would get is from FoF. Then again it would be same even without that talent since no chill effect can impact your DPS on boss. Glyph is good to go.
3. What is the stat priority for Frost? I can barely find any guides for that spec because people say it is not viable for PvE, but it seems fun and I really want to try it.
  • Ok here is how to orient:
    Arcane mages have Missile Barrage talent that when proced increase speed of Arcane Missile and trigger T10 for even more speed, If you menage to set 4AB and start casting another AM during single T10 proc, you are Master Arcane, and for that you need a lot of haste to achieve that speed
    Fire mages have Hot Streak talent that give instant cast Pyro and T10, to trigger Hot Streak you need to crit a lot and thats why they go critical rating.
    Frost mages have Brain Freeze that give instant cast FFB (FB suck since more talents are on FFB), in a single minute to get more instant FFBs you need to cast a lot so for that you need a lot of HASTE.
4. Will the hit chance from Precision stack with Arcane Focus?
  • Yes is short answer, problem is that Arcane Focus only applies to Arcane spells, so you would still have 3% hit rating anyway. Only Arcane Mages benefit from both talents.

You might consider these talents http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... gfkt:inRV0

Only benefits of Frost mage are 20% reduced healing but that also have spriest, 1% mana regeneration from pet but that also have Rets and Hunters and +5% Crit rating on boss but that also have Fire Mages and Warlocks (btw does not stack with them). Maybe if you take one point in Blizzard, it would be good to AoE freeze mobs when clearing but it would suck again since Flamestrike is stronger.

As for rotation

Use Deep Freeze whenever FoF proc
Use FFB whenever Brain Freeze proc
Keep spaming Frostbolt

Dont use Icy Lance unless you are moving (and FireBlast is on CD)

Wilcox

#5 » Post by Wilcox » 01 Aug 2016 11:32

isn't permafrost kinda shit for pve though?

also just a tip. if you have fingers of frost you can do this to maximize burst (like when killing a low hp mob in a dungeon);

frostbolt -> frostbolt+icelance, this makes 3 spells benefit from fingers of frost instead of 2

Fastor

#6 » Post by Fastor » 01 Aug 2016 13:54

Wilcox wrote:isn't permafrost kinda shit for pve though?
Whole Frost is kinda shit.
Anyway Permafrost = -20% healing and +3sec on DoT from FFB which is minor DPS increase. l actually had to take it once when we were doing ToC before ICC was open since we didnt had priest nor hunter and noone wished to join.

ribbaribbahey

#7 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 01 Aug 2016 18:50

Fastor wrote: You might consider these talents http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... gfkt:inRV0
Frostbite is irrelevant vs bosses. Adding Improved blizzard makes it interesting for adds. May be contributing to FFB procs if the condition on brain freeze is literal.

Ribbaz - 2300 2v2 Enhancement
Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire
Cazzuto - Arms PvE / 1950 2v2
Dextr - Blood Dps PvE / Frost "priority list" Dps PvE
Ribba - Beast Mastery PvP / Survival PvE

My Enhancement PvP guide