[PW] viable mage specs

trevprb26

[PW] viable mage specs

#1 » Post by trevprb26 » 11 Aug 2015 09:34

Is frost the only way to go? i was hoping to get some fire up in here but im betting everything in MC/BWL will resist still right?

Ceezar89

Re: viable mage specs

#2 » Post by Ceezar89 » 12 Aug 2015 17:04

Frost will be your choice in the early stages with a 20/0/31 build or a slightly different variation without IB, focusing on mana and resistances. You are very fragile in the beginning of mc. As you progress and gear up you can go 31/0/20 arcane as the higher geared mages on the server are, adding more dmg and bigger crits with AP and double icy veins. Fire will come eventually when you have the mana for it, don't worry.

.Sorrugis

#3 » Post by .Sorrugis » 12 Aug 2015 20:48

Worthless is running a real interesting spec too, with great survivability, added range and it's producing some quality results.

thejuan05

#4 » Post by thejuan05 » 14 Aug 2015 14:29

Hey Guys,

Do you believe that a 33/0/18 spec to be viable in a raid setting? I went further into the Arcane tree to get Arcane Power. Is this too mana intensive? Am I trading too much from the frost tree by going this far in the Arcane tree?

Let me know your thoughts!

Pah

.Sorrugis

#5 » Post by .Sorrugis » 14 Aug 2015 17:14

Yeah, that's a pretty decent spec.

However I'd drop the threat talents for increased range and Ice Floes.

I used the following spec, however I still need to tweak a few points myself.

http://www.primalwow.org/armory/talents ... Pliny&sp=0

Fice94
Donor

#6 » Post by Fice94 » 19 Aug 2015 11:06

Right now I got pretty decent Gear and specced myself to MaxDPS while maintain full range, aggro reduce and selfbuffed resistance
In my opinion this spec is the spec to go for MC when you got another mage with Winters Chill (Range for Fear outrange, resistance less dmg etc.)

http://www.primalwow.org/armory/talents.php?n=Zen&sp=0
Zen - 60 Undead Mage <Crimson>
Pyroblast - Crit! - Aggro - Blink - Frostnova - WIPE

EbonTopaz

#7 » Post by EbonTopaz » 19 Aug 2015 11:20

Here's the spec that I intend to run with once I hit level 60.

http://www.truewow.org/armory/talentcal ... ,0,0,0,0,0

thejuan05

#8 » Post by thejuan05 » 23 Aug 2015 05:27

Hey Guys,

Does Torment of the Weak actually apply in raid environments? Do Boss mobs actually receive the 'slow' effect even when you cannot actually 'slow' or 'snare' them?

Figured that it does because all of you experienced guys have been speccing into it, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Pah

Apathetic

#9 » Post by Apathetic » 23 Aug 2015 06:03

They get pretty much every snare debuff without actually losing speed, like Frostbolt.
Parallel

bf01

#10 » Post by bf01 » 31 Aug 2015 03:05

I've been seeing all the talents featuring a bunch of points in the arcane tree, but the only arcane spell that you're (possibly) going to be using in your rotation would be arcane missles, and that skill is just trash... so why the arcane points?

EbonTopaz

#11 » Post by EbonTopaz » 31 Aug 2015 13:25

bf01 wrote:I've been seeing all the talents featuring a bunch of points in the arcane tree, but the only arcane spell that you're (possibly) going to be using in your rotation would be arcane missles, and that skill is just trash... so why the arcane points?
Arcane is a spec that isn't really playable until level 62, when Mages learn Arcane Blast. As such, the tiers before level 60 don't influence the specific Arcane rotation very much, and instead mostly focus on buffing utility spells, stats, global spell damage and criticals. This means the talents synergize really well with Frost and Fire spec, which both rely on criticals.

Additionally, mana management and regeneration is a key factor. Arcane Mind is a flat Mana bonus, Arcane Meditation and Student of the Mind are great for mana regeneration, and Arcane Concentration has the potential of allowing Mages to AoE indefinitely with little to no mana cost! Normally Fire and Frost spec would rely on their own talents to keep their mana bars full, but Fire spec's Master of the Elements is not very useful with the current attainable crit rates and Pyromaniac is disabled, and Frost spec's Summon Water Elemental and Enduring Winter are disabled as well.

In other words, players are speccing into as many global performance boosts in Arcane as possible, while leaving enough room to spec Frostbolt or Fireball as their main nukes. Frostbolt however is more popular due to the fact that it grants access to Icy Veins, which not only is a very good cooldown in its own right, but can also be combined with Arcane Power for a big damage bomb. Although Arcane/Fire mages speccing for Improved Scorch isn't an unseen sight as well.

theprinz2

#12 » Post by theprinz2 » 17 Apr 2016 13:02

Does the Hit Chance in Arcane Focus actually affect all spells types or only arcane spells?

Fastor

#13 » Post by Fastor » 17 Apr 2016 15:10

Only arcane.