Basics of both Mage Fire specs

Fastor

Basics of both Mage Fire specs

#1 » Post by Fastor » 27 Nov 2014 18:24

Im making this very bad mage guide (nothing in guide explains why, just says what should) as Im super lazy to finish proper one which I started last year and there seems to be urgent need for more than few mages to learn this. Mostly new mages but even those with ICC25HC gear.

Give this link to every mage with low DPS: www.tinyurl.com/TWFireSpec

Intro

There are two fire specs FB and FFB. Each have pros and cons.
FB have Focus Magic, chance for mana free spells via Clearcasting, need less haste and more hit rating.
FFB have Icy Veins, chance to restore mana via Ward, need more haste and less hit rating.

Talent+glyph

Spells and rotation

Pyroblast - do when ever you have Hot Streak buff
Scorch - do once and again before debuff end on target, also notice that this spell is doing bad damage so dont use it more than once.
Living Bomb - do once and again after debuff end on target
Main spell - Fireball/Frostfire Bolt - do when there is no need for first three mention above.

Mirror images, Combustion and Icy Veins (FFB only) - prefer at bosses, at very start and at 35% of boss HP.

Molten armor, Arcane/Dalaran Briliance and Focus Magic (FB only) - Buff before every boss.

Arcane torrent (Blood Elf only) and Mana Sapphire - Use instantly when you missing 4000 mana from max. Better to use it that early because cooldown will pass until you would need them again.

Frost Ward and Fire Ward (both FFB spec only) - use them when you fight bosses that use Frost or Fire spell, apart they will lower damage you take, they have chance to restore your mana.

Stats by priority

Hit rating up to cap 17% (prefer 13-14% for FB and 10-11% for FFB spec)
Haste rating up to your Main spell at 2.0 sec casting time.
Critical up to 100%.
Spell power up to sky.
Spirit when you cant find item with any of mention above or capped at hit and haste.

-NOTICE: Because fire specs relies on Hot Streak, you need to have minimum 60% critical strike when buffed in raid to make this spec work.

Gems

All depend if you missing hit or critical to those 60% minimum l said above. Any gem can be putted in any socket but if you put in proper according color, then you gain bonuses. Dont worry if you put in all sockets "20 critical rating gem (yellow)".

Here is list of gems by stats which you would prefer to put in sockets to gain bonuses.

Yellow: 20 Hit, 20 Crit,
Blue: 12 Spell power 10 Spirit
Red: 12 Spell power 10 Crit, 12 Spell power 10 Hit, 12 Spell power 10 Haste, 23 Spell power.

l just got 80, which gear should l pick?

DO NOT WASTE EOF!

For once on Wotlk 3.3.5a you have things lot easier, simply farm RDF HC and you will get some basic lvl 200 gear while doing that and also you will get EoT.

Use 180 EoT to buy T9 set (head, chest, gloves, pants) and use cheep ICC lvl 264 shoulder.
For other go EoT vendor for: Ring 35EoT, Trinket 50EoT, Wand 25EoT. Total 110EoT.
Next EoC vendor, you can trade EoT into EoC. Just Neck 19EoC.
Now EoV vendor, trade EoT>EoC>EoV. Cloak 25EoV, Boots 40EoV, Wrist 60EoV. Total 125EoV.
Last EoH vendor, trade EoT>EoC>EoV>EoH. Trinket 40EoH, Belt 40EoH, Offhand 25EoH. Total 105EoH.

So total amount of EoT you need to buy all is 180+110+19+125+105=539EoT. It looks lot but here is thing, as you farm RDF HC you will get gear that should be fine and you could avoid buying some stuff mention above which would lower global price, also EoT pretty much "falls from sky". All NR raids (apart ICC,RS) are droping EoT, and also bosses in RDF HC.
So in less than one week, you would be having fine gear to enter ICC group.

About EoF.

All you need to buy is T10 and its in this order Head>Shoulder>Chest unless you wish Crit+Hit from DreamWalker>than save 155EoF to see will Gloves and Pants drop in VoA. If not than buy them for 4xt10.
Last item you can buy from EoF is Trinket which is pretty damn good for your hit rating.

DO NOT WASTE EOF ON ANY OTHER ITEM BECAUSE GEAR SCORE!

Addon

Power aura - Download Currently use only this Addon for Fire spec. Its most simplified.

Configuration of addon:

1. Download and copy paste what is inside to Wow/Interface/Addons
2. Turn on wow and log in to mage.
3. Type in chat /POWA
4. Click button "Import Set"
5. Copy and paste ALL at once from this box and click Accept

[hide]Set=Fire Mage@
Aura[1]=Version:st3.0.0S; gcd:bofalse; b:nu1; anim1:nu1; g:nu1; optunitn:bofalse; ignoremaj:botrue; Instance25ManHeroic:nu0; stacksLower:nu0; target:bofalse; icon:stInterface\Icons\Ability_Mage_HotStreak; beginSpin:bofalse; torsion:nu1; r:nu1; Extra:bofalse; y:nu-210; x:nu-120; customsoundend:st; customname:st; RoleMeleDps:nu0; groupany:botrue; isAlive:botrue; timerduration:nu0; unitn:st; bufftype:nu1; stacks:nu0; focus:bofalse; Instance10ManHeroic:nu0; raid:bofalse; RoleTank:nu0; texture:nu1; spec2:botrue; InactiveDueToState:bofalse; alpha:nu0.75; aurastext:st; InstanceBg:nu0; symetrie:nu0; owntex:botrue; isResting:nu0; buffname:stHot Streak; duration:nu0; mine:bofalse; Instance5ManHeroic:nu0; multiids:st; sound:nu0; inVehicle:nu0; speed:nu1; Instance5Man:nu0; anim2:nu0; RoleHealer:nu0; id:nu1; HideRequest:bofalse; stacksOperator:st>=; realaura:nu1; Active:bofalse; tooltipCheck:st; threshold:nu50; off:bofalse; PowerType:nu0; GTFO:nu0; textaura:bofalse; stance:nu10; wowtex:bofalse; groupOrSelf:bofalse; strata:stLOW; soundend:nu0; spec1:botrue; InstanceArena:nu0; inParty:nu0; RoleRangeDps:nu0; aurastextfont:nu1; Instance25Man:nu0; Instance10Man:nu0; customtex:bofalse; PvP:nu0; combat:nu0; isSecondary:bofalse; thresholdinvert:bofalse; inRaid:nu0; size:nu0.29999998211861; Showing:bofalse; UseOldAnimations:bofalse; exact:bofalse; begin:nu0; party:bofalse; texmode:nu2; inverse:bofalse; ismounted:nu0; targetfriend:bofalse; customsound:st; randomcolor:bofalse; finish:nu0; timer.InvertAuraBelow:nu0; timer.b:nu1; timer.HideLeadingZeros:botrue; timer.g:nu1; timer.h:nu4.0199999809265; timer.ShowOnAuraHide:bofalse; timer.UpdatePing:bofalse; timer.Showing:bofalse; timer.Texture:stCrystal; timer.enabled:botrue; timer.CustomDuration:nu0; timer.DurationInfo:nu1370096.774; timer.r:nu1; timer.cents:bofalse; timer.Relative:stCENTER; timer.HideRequest:botrue; timer.y:nu0; timer.x:nu0; timer.id:nu1; timer.Transparent:botrue; timer.Start:nu1370233.017; timer.UseOwnColor:bofalse; timer.a:nu1; timer.ShowActivation:bofalse@
Aura[2]=Version:st3.0.0S; gcd:bofalse; b:nu1; anim1:nu1; g:nu1; optunitn:bofalse; ignoremaj:botrue; Instance25ManHeroic:nu0; stacksLower:nu0; target:botrue; icon:stInterface\Icons\Ability_Mage_LivingBomb; beginSpin:bofalse; torsion:nu1; r:nu1; Extra:bofalse; y:nu-210; x:nu120; customsoundend:st; customname:st; RoleMeleDps:nu0; groupany:botrue; isAlive:botrue; timerduration:nu0; unitn:st; bufftype:nu2; stacks:nu0; focus:bofalse; Instance10ManHeroic:nu0; raid:bofalse; texture:nu1; alpha:nu0.75; aurastext:st; CurrentMatch:stLiving Bomb; InstanceBg:nu0; symetrie:nu0; RoleTank:nu0; spec2:botrue; DisplayValue:stLiving Bomb; InactiveDueToState:botrue; buffname:stLiving Bomb; owntex:botrue; isResting:nu0; duration:nu0; mine:botrue; Instance5ManHeroic:nu0; sound:nu0; multiids:st; RoleHealer:nu0; inVehicle:nu0; speed:nu1; Instance5Man:nu0; anim2:nu0; id:nu2; HideRequest:bofalse; stacksOperator:st>=; realaura:nu1; Active:bofalse; tooltipCheck:st; threshold:nu50; off:bofalse; PowerType:nu0; GTFO:nu0; textaura:bofalse; stance:nu10; DisplayUnit:sttarget; wowtex:bofalse; groupOrSelf:bofalse; strata:stLOW; soundend:nu0; spec1:botrue; InstanceArena:nu0; inParty:nu0; RoleRangeDps:nu0; aurastextfont:nu1; CurrentSlot:nu1; Instance25Man:nu0; Instance10Man:nu0; customtex:bofalse; PvP:nu0; combat:nu0; isSecondary:bofalse; thresholdinvert:bofalse; inRaid:nu0; size:nu0.29999998211861; Showing:bofalse; UseOldAnimations:bofalse; exact:bofalse; begin:nu0; party:bofalse; texmode:nu2; inverse:bofalse; ismounted:nu0; targetfriend:bofalse; customsound:st; randomcolor:bofalse; finish:nu0; timer.InvertAuraBelow:nu0; timer.b:nu1; timer.HideLeadingZeros:botrue; timer.g:nu1; timer.h:nu4.0199999809265; timer.ShowOnAuraHide:bofalse; timer.UpdatePing:bofalse; timer.DurationInfo:nu1370109.299; timer.Texture:stCrystal; timer.enabled:botrue; timer.HideRequest:botrue; timer.CustomDuration:nu0; timer.r:nu1; timer.cents:bofalse; timer.Relative:stCENTER; timer.Showing:bofalse; timer.y:nu0; timer.x:nu0; timer.id:nu2; timer.Transparent:botrue; timer.Start:nu1370232.417; timer.UseOwnColor:bofalse; timer.a:nu1; timer.ShowActivation:bofalse@
Aura[3]=Version:st3.0.0S; gcd:bofalse; b:nu1; anim1:nu1; g:nu1; optunitn:bofalse; ignoremaj:botrue; Instance25ManHeroic:nu0; stacksLower:nu0; target:botrue; icon:stInterface\Icons\Spell_Fire_SoulBurn; beginSpin:bofalse; torsion:nu1; r:nu1; Extra:bofalse; y:nu-210; x:nu0; customsoundend:st; customname:st; RoleMeleDps:nu0; groupany:botrue; isAlive:botrue; timerduration:nu0; unitn:st; bufftype:nu2; stacks:nu0; focus:bofalse; Instance10ManHeroic:nu0; raid:bofalse; texture:nu1; alpha:nu0.75; aurastext:st; buffname:stImproved Scorch; InstanceBg:nu0; symetrie:nu0; Instance5ManHeroic:nu0; sound:nu0; RoleHealer:nu0; RoleTank:nu0; owntex:botrue; isResting:nu0; spec2:botrue; duration:nu0; mine:botrue; InactiveDueToState:botrue; multiids:st; inVehicle:nu0; speed:nu1; Instance5Man:nu0; anim2:nu0; id:nu3; HideRequest:bofalse; stacksOperator:st>=; realaura:nu1; Active:bofalse; tooltipCheck:st; threshold:nu50; off:bofalse; PowerType:nu0; GTFO:nu0; textaura:bofalse; stance:nu10; wowtex:bofalse; groupOrSelf:bofalse; strata:stLOW; soundend:nu0; spec1:botrue; InstanceArena:nu0; inParty:nu0; RoleRangeDps:nu0; aurastextfont:nu1; Instance25Man:nu0; Instance10Man:nu0; customtex:bofalse; PvP:nu0; combat:nu0; isSecondary:bofalse; thresholdinvert:bofalse; inRaid:nu0; size:nu0.29999998211861; Showing:bofalse; UseOldAnimations:bofalse; exact:bofalse; begin:nu0; party:bofalse; texmode:nu2; inverse:bofalse; ismounted:nu0; targetfriend:bofalse; customsound:st; randomcolor:bofalse; finish:nu0; timer.InvertAuraBelow:nu0; timer.b:nu1; timer.HideLeadingZeros:botrue; timer.g:nu1; timer.h:nu4.0199999809265; timer.ShowOnAuraHide:bofalse; timer.UpdatePing:bofalse; timer.HideRequest:botrue; timer.Texture:stCrystal; timer.enabled:botrue; timer.Showing:bofalse; timer.CustomDuration:nu0; timer.r:nu1; timer.cents:bofalse; timer.Relative:stCENTER; timer.DurationInfo:nu1370105.95; timer.y:nu0; timer.x:nu0; timer.id:nu3; timer.Transparent:botrue; timer.Start:nu1370231.367; timer.UseOwnColor:bofalse; timer.a:nu1; timer.ShowActivation:bofalse@[/hide]
Last edited by Fastor on 12 Mar 2016 20:06, edited 8 times in total.

Myaoming
Former Staff

Re: Basics of both Mage Fire specs

#2 » Post by Myaoming » 27 Nov 2014 21:28

Fastor wrote:Haste rating up to your Main spell at 2.0 sec casting time.
What's the reason behind that? We had a talk about Ignite ticking if you remember, and you were convinced the cast time of FB/FFB isn't a worry.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Fastor

#3 » Post by Fastor » 27 Nov 2014 21:36

T10 last 5 sec. Main spell if 2.0 sec equals twice and start casting third time. Also possible if spell cast 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 but each more = less chance if doing three times main spell.

Also situations when you cast out Pyro due to Hot Streak and before it hit target and proc T10, you cast out LB and trigger GCD so GCD is on when T10 proc, you need to wait that small time (usually 0.5sec but can be more) before you can cast main spell which consume that part of time of 5sec t10. So instead of 5 sec T10 pew pew time you got 4.5, so that means you can have max 2.2cast time and ridiculusly good skill at clicking in less than 0.1 sec. Or to have 2.0 cast time as l said and have good half second to start casting new spell.

In short, to shoot Main spell three times before T10 proc is over.

Relina

#4 » Post by Relina » 27 Nov 2014 22:38

Nice guide Fastor.

P.S:
-T10 proc & Hotstreak interaction on Trinity Core is slightly bugged. >reported here<, which I doubt will be fixed anytime soon.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Fastor

#5 » Post by Fastor » 27 Nov 2014 22:57

Access Denied.
[ Proceed ]

???

Relina

#6 » Post by Relina » 27 Nov 2014 23:01

Ah you probably don't have access to view private reports on bugtracker, set it as private since I did n't want trolls messing with it :P.
I've changed the view settings on the report.

Just...

Fastor

#7 » Post by Fastor » 27 Nov 2014 23:10

Ah yes that one with range, l made that chapter specific for it in proper guide.

Another problem with it which l dont see you mention is:
You stand far away,
You get Hot Streak while casting something else like FB,
You castout FB and instantly click Pyro,
Now here is problem since HS is not consumed on click but on hit,
Your Pyro is flying but that FB you casted first triggers another HS,
That new HS rewrite old one and when Pyro hit target its consumed.

So in the end, instead of two Hot Streak you have only one. That is another problem of HS not being consumed on click. l gave range of less than Fire Blast (20y) range which is about 15y.

Fastor

#8 » Post by Fastor » 28 Nov 2014 01:14

Added gems.

Relina

#9 » Post by Relina » 28 Nov 2014 01:50

Well the report was more focused on how its negatively effecting t10 2 set bonus & range extension talents, more than the loss of potential hot streak procs, I mean with an effective range of 15 yrds, you might as well be in melee range.

Just...

Myaoming
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Myaoming » 28 Nov 2014 11:39

Fastor wrote:T10 last 5 sec. Main spell if 2.0 sec equals twice and start casting third time. Also possible if spell cast 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 but each more = less chance if doing three times main spell.

Also situations when you cast out Pyro due to Hot Streak and before it hit target and proc T10, you cast out LB and trigger GCD so GCD is on when T10 proc, you need to wait that small time (usually 0.5sec but can be more) before you can cast main spell which consume that part of time of 5sec t10. So instead of 5 sec T10 pew pew time you got 4.5, so that means you can have max 2.2cast time and ridiculusly good skill at clicking in less than 0.1 sec. Or to have 2.0 cast time as l said and have good half second to start casting new spell.

In short, to shoot Main spell three times before T10 proc is over.
Yes I see, but
Haste rating up to your Main spell at 2.0 sec casting time.
should be 2.0 sec casting time OR LESS, since having it below 2.0 is overall better, and even better to make sure you're casting 3x bolts under t10 proc.

And YES! That's a great brief guide :D
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Sagiri
Donor

#11 » Post by Sagiri » 28 Nov 2014 12:12

Fastor wrote: Mostly new mages but even those with ICC25HC gear.
Hope you didn`t mean me (forever nib) q_q

About the lost HS procs, it always makes me sad to see it happening.
But if we could use every single one... heck, even half of those lost ones, imagine the fat threat. :shock:
Dead mage`s dps is not that great am afraid :roll:

Good guide, fire specs in a nutshell to not bore and confuse readers with too many numbers but to provide all necessary informations.
/clap
` I'm taking it slow, feeding my flame.
Shuffling the cards of your game...
And just in time and in the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace.`

Fastor

#12 » Post by Fastor » 28 Nov 2014 12:33

Was only once with you in action and l didnt payed attention to you, sorry cant still say if its you :P But no, there are few.

About threat, its our job to have 95%+ agro in combat. Recount got boring, now go Omen 3 to compete ^_^

Taken from Dark legacy comics.

Relina

#13 » Post by Relina » 28 Nov 2014 12:50

Fastor wrote: About threat, its our job to have 95%+ agro in combat. Recount got boring, now go Omen 3 to compete ^_^
Except when you have a tank with sub-par knowledge of his class, which ends up often with them shouting at any & all dps "DON'T over-aggro N00B L2P" lol :P

P.S: Dark Legacy Comics Rulz! :D

Just...

Sagiri
Donor

#14 » Post by Sagiri » 28 Nov 2014 12:59

You didn`t pay attention? Aww... I owned you on Mimi :(
(Cause, of course, dps is what mattered there the most!)
Awesome comic, thanks for sharing it! How come I didn`t know it earlier : s
I know what I will be doing during winter evenings now.
` I'm taking it slow, feeding my flame.
Shuffling the cards of your game...
And just in time and in the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace.`

Demol
Former Staff

#15 » Post by Demol » 28 Nov 2014 13:18

Lol'd on the comic :D

On topic, yes, a good guide indeed. Simple, yet very effective.
And I agree with Myaoming on having a bit more haste to maintain a less casting time.