VPN connection

kanezfan

VPN connection

#1 » Post by kanezfan » 21 Feb 2017 15:26

Hi, I'd like to log in to the game from time during my lunch but I never get past authenticating once I enter my password and try logging in. They must be blocking some port. Sucks because I can get on Elysium no problem from work but a lot of the players there are so immature and annoying. I thought I'd try a VPN connection so I found this free VPN service (not naming it, don't want to get accused of advertising) online but when I try to use it to connect to TrueWoW, I don't even get to authenticating. It goes to connect and stays there for a little while and then I get an error that I've been disconnected. Are you guys blocking all VPN connections? Am I just not gonna be able to get my fix from work :cry:

Jiranthos
Admin

Re: VPN connection

#2 » Post by Jiranthos » 21 Feb 2017 15:28

Let's start with the basics: Make sure your realmlist is set to "set realmlist login.truewow.org" and your game client version is "Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a".

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

kanezfan

#3 » Post by kanezfan » 21 Feb 2017 15:30

Thank you, both are. I can login from home, in fact I copied the entire folder from my home PC onto a USB drive and copied that onto my work PC. I also tried to use the IP address instead in my realmlist.wtf but same result.

Thank you for the help, I really like it here :D

Jiranthos
Admin

#4 » Post by Jiranthos » 21 Feb 2017 19:28

kanezfan wrote:Thank you, both are. I can login from home, in fact I copied the entire folder from my home PC onto a USB drive and copied that onto my work PC. I also tried to use the IP address instead in my realmlist.wtf but same result.

Thank you for the help, I really like it here :D

What happens if you pull up a console / command prompt / terminal and try "ping login.truewow.org" and "tracert login.truewow.org", while under the VPN?

I'm not sure if we block VPN addresses, to be fair.
Paging Nyeriah:
Nyeriah wrote:...

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

kanezfan

#5 » Post by kanezfan » 21 Feb 2017 20:16

I can traceroute and ping it on my normal connection but can't on the VPN. I've tried 3 different ones too. I hate working, I'd rather be home playing TrueWoW lol

Jiranthos
Admin

#6 » Post by Jiranthos » 21 Feb 2017 22:33

Well if the VPN cannot ping and tracert the logon server, then apparently either it cannot get to TrueWoW or TrueWoW will not accept it. Either way, sorry, you won't be able to play from there. :(

Longi

#7 » Post by Longi » 21 Feb 2017 23:24

if you want to play from your work, your company has prolly proxy server for network, and most of this settings are blocking everything around :D

Eronox
MVP

#8 » Post by Eronox » 21 Feb 2017 23:58

Longi wrote:if you want to play from your work, your company has prolly proxy server for network, and most of this settings are blocking everything around :D
Not true. Seems to be server-side this time, since I can reproduce his issue using different VPN tunnels myself.
We'll see what the Admin has to say, or if someone finds a hidden property who has to be configured!

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 22 Feb 2017 02:49

We don't have any blocks or restrictions when it comes to that, at least I have never been aware of any.

Eronox
MVP

#10 » Post by Eronox » 26 Feb 2017 17:28

kanezfan wrote:...
Does your issue persist?

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.

- J.R Cash

kanezfan

#11 » Post by kanezfan » 27 Feb 2017 21:00

I will check in a couple hours and report back, thanks for checking :)

kanezfan

#12 » Post by kanezfan » 28 Feb 2017 02:58

Hey, so I tried it again and it failed. I'll try and find another VPN to connect from I guess. Thanks for the help!

kanezfan

#13 » Post by kanezfan » 01 Mar 2017 18:14

Good news. I found this post https://www.getmangos.eu/forums/topic/9 ... rver-port/ and didn't think it would help me but it did. I just added the port number to realmlist.wtf as described and I can log in, no VPN needed :D

Thanks for looking in to it guys, maybe someone else will need this info and I'm glad to share it.

Eronox
MVP

#14 » Post by Eronox » 01 Mar 2017 18:21

Yaay! :D

- J.R Cash