Chimera serpent damage from Serpent Sting calculation

Gadoschi
Donor

Chimera serpent damage from Serpent Sting calculation

#1 » Post by Gadoschi » 12 Aug 2016 01:03

Hi.

I am interesting in learning how Chimera Shot damage from Serpent Sting is calculated.

Why?

Because I am looking into using Glyph of Serpent Sting, and while it increases the overall damage done on Serpent Sting, damage per tick is equal or even lower than without the glyph.

Chimera Shot description says that it deals "40% of the damage done" by Serpent Sting.

Does that mean 40% of base Serpent Sting damage (total damage done by Serpent Sting), or 40% of the damage done by the Sting before Chimera Shot is used (on 1st Chimera Shot that would be the ticks between casting Serpent Sting and using Chimera Shot, and on later Chimera Shots that would be the ticks between two Chimera Shot casts)?

If it is the latter case, that would mean that using Glyph of Serpent Sting actually provides no bonus dmg to Chimera Shot, and is virtually useless in fights where you mostly focus on the boss (which is most bosses in ICC and the entire RS).

I've tried doing math on my Chimera Shot non-crit average dmg, and this is what I got:

- since the cooldown on Chimera Shot is 10 seconds (without the glyph), Serpent Sting will do 3 ticks before Chimera Shot is used, and say the average Serpent Sting tick is 1k, that means Chimera Shot non-crit does 40% of those 3 ticks + weapon damage + attp, meaning ->(0.4*3*1000+400+attp), which, without procs turned out to be an average of 7-8k non-crit Chimera Shot (recount checked on heroic dummy), which is about the range of my Chimera Shot non-crit damage.
- when I tried calculating the actual full Sting damage instead of the ticks done before using Chimera Shot, I got ridiculously high numbers that exceeded the result for non-crit Chimera Shot damage greatly.

I would appreciate any helpful comments, especially from devs or hunters who have done extensive tests with and without the glyph on Chimera Shot.
Last edited by Gadoschi on 12 Aug 2016 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
PC
MB: Asus M5A97 R2.0 (AM3+); CPU: AMD FX 8300 (@4,2GHz); GPU: Gigabyte R9 380 4GB GDDR5 (@1,15GHz); RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz (2x4GB Kit); PSU: Coolermaster V550 (80+ Gold); CPU Cooler: LC-CC-120; Case: Antec GX505; Fans: Antec TrueQuiet 120mm x5; Monitor: AOC G2460PF (24'', 1ms, 144Hz, Freesync); Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Red); Mouse: Logitech G302; Surface: Roccat Taito Mid 5mm

Wilcox

Re: Chimera serpent damage from Serpent Sting calculation

#2 » Post by Wilcox » 12 Aug 2016 10:38

i think its total damage and irrelevant from ticks, not %100 info though

Relina

#3 » Post by Relina » 12 Aug 2016 14:50

Chimera Shot does 40% of the total potential serpent sting damage. It doesn’t matter if you cast it immediately after using serpent sting or when there’s only 1 tick left – the damage is the same*.

*If its doing anything else then either:
a. You messed up on your testing.
b. It is currently bugged and you should consider reporting it on bugtracker.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Justicelight
Donor

#4 » Post by Justicelight » 12 Aug 2016 15:54

Is it dependant on the Hunter's attack power when he is casting it? Let's say I do serpent when I have 5k Attack Power, but I get to 10k AP later, should I redo my serpent before doing chimera? (pvp wise, in pve you would lose dmg due to gcd waste).
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Relina

#5 » Post by Relina » 12 Aug 2016 16:13

No point, AP modifiers will be adjusted every Chimera Shot without you needing to recast the sting.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

mcheka

#6 » Post by mcheka » 12 Aug 2016 16:57

On a related note, it seems Chimera is still bugged to get double benefit from auras: http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=3438

Has anyone tested recently or is it still doing too much damage?
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Nephyx
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Nephyx » 12 Aug 2016 17:59

No need to refresh it because of AP bonuses but you should refresh your Serpent sting after you receive Tricks of the trade from rogue or you get the buff from 2pc of t10 set.
You receive 15% dmg bonus to serpent sting and its chimera's part during the whole duration of the fight after doing so.

I believe the chimera's dmg bug was fixed like a month ago.
Right Conquers Might