Beastmaster Hunter Info

Cleofatra

Beastmaster Hunter Info

#1 » Post by Cleofatra » 06 Jul 2015 20:33

Let me start off this guide by saying that I am by no means a Hunter expert. I am new to the class, new to the client, and new to the server. Please subject the post below to scrutiny, skepticism, and criticism... and please respond! :)

-----------------------------------

Spec
Raid BM Spec: 33/18/0
Raid MM Spec: 7/34/10
Pet Spec: Pet Talents
Pet Encyclopedia: Petopia WotLK

There are some variations you can go with Raid BM but they all end up being around the same. Some will go 1/2 Animal Handler and go full 5/5 Lethal Shots... others move points from Endurance Training to Imp. Revive Pet... go what you like. Make sure you keep 3/3 in Careful Aim and get Aimed Shot. Also 1/2 in Imp. Mend Pet can be nice as most people won't Decurse your pet :).

Itemization Priority (in general)
BM Spec
  1. Agility (Attack Power / Crit)
  2. Intellect or AP (Attack Power + Mana)
  3. Crit Chance
  4. Hit Chance

Prioritize AP/Agi/Int because it boosts your Pet's AP and Magic Damage... and your Pet will be about half or more of your overall damage. Keep in mind that with this talent spec that Intellect will also boost your AP with a 1:1 ratio (Careful Aim) and also 1 Agility = 1 AP with some crit. So pure DPS-wise... 1 Agility > 1 Intellect > 1 AP. The reason Crit Chance is good is because Crit will restore some of your Pet's focus allowing them to Bite more! (Go For The Throat).

Marks Spec
  1. Hit Chance
  2. Agility (Attack Power / Crit)
  3. Crit Chance
  4. Intellect or AP (Attack Power + Mana)

Prioritize Hit Chance to ensure you maximize the number of auto-shots hitting (I have not tested hit cap for white/yellow attacks). Agility and crit for stronk auto-attacks. And Intellect AP last because it gives you the least benefit. Obviously something like 40AP is better than 1 crit (haven't done math) so use your head.

Pet
Beast Master: Train any Raptor. Raptor's have a bleed DoT for minimal damage but more importantly they give a 10% damage buff to themselves when they crit. Uptime is 50% of the fight and ends up edging out the AP buff you get from a Wolf.
Marksman: Train any Wolf and level him to 60. Wolves have Ferocious Howl which grants the Pet and Hunter 120* AP with 50% uptime (meaning you have an average of 60AP boost over an infinite amount of time). Wolves are awesome :o
PVP: Grab a Crab or Spider for a 4 second channeled immobilize and charge talent.

Pre-Raid BIS
Head: Backwood Helm (Crit) (DM W Quest)
Neck: Mark of Fordring (EPL Quest)
Shoulders: Black Dragonscale Shoulders (Leatherworking)
Chest: Savage Gladiator Chain or Black Dragonscale Breastplate (Leatherworking) w/ set
Bracers: Bracers of the Eclipse
Gloves: Devilsaur Gauntlets
Belt: Beaststalker's Belt
Legs: Sentinel's Chaing Leggings (PvP) or Black Dragonscale Leggings (Leatherworking) w/ set or Blademaster's Leggings
Boots: Elven Chain Boots (BoE World Drop) or Beaststalker's Boots
Ring 1: Tarnished Elven Ring
Ring 2: Painweaver Band or Tarnished Elven Ring
Trinket 1: Devilsaur Tooth (Hunter ST Quest) swap with Blackhand's Breath (Ony Attuned Quest)
Trinket 2: Power of the High Chief (WS Quest) or Earthstrike (Silithus Badges) when it comes out.
Weapon: Barbarous Blade
Ranged: Dwarven Hand Cannon

Strategy
BM Spec
To maximize DPS your pet should be attacking as close to 100% of the time as possible. This means you will want some good keybinds for pet Attack, pet Follow, and pet Dash. Personally I use these bindings: mouse forward button for attack, mouse backward button for follow, alt+w for dash.

For max DPS I have been using the following rotation on bosses.
  • Hunter's Mark before combat or after Pet Attack
  • Send Pet to attack with Dash
  • Aimed Shot + Bestial Wrath + Trinket + Rapid Fire
  • Arcane Shot
  • Serpent Sting
  • Steady Shot
  • Arcane Shot
  • Steady Shot
  • Steady Shot
  • Continue prioritizing Aimed Shot > Arcane Shot > Serpent Sting > Steady Shot. You'll get the hang out the rotation if you remember priorities and not to clip your CD on Aimed/Arcane because you want to get 1 more Steady Shot in.
Keep Serpent Sting up on the boss every chance you get but do NOT prioritize it before Aimed Shot or Arcane Shot :).

Marksman Spec
Even though you are Marksman you need to micro-manage your pet... To maximize DPS your pet should be attacking as close to 100% of the time as possible. This means you will want some good keybinds for pet Attack, pet Follow, and pet Dash. Personally I use these bindings: forward button for attack, backward button for follow, shift+mouse scroll for dash.

For max DPS I have been using the following rotation on bosses.
  • Hunter's Mark before combat or after Pet Attack
  • Send Pet to attack with Dash
  • Serpent Sting
  • Aimed Shot
  • Arcane Shot + Trinket + Rapid Fire
  • Readiness to reset cooldowns
  • Aimed Shot
  • Arcane Shot
  • Steady Shot
  • Steady Shot
  • Normal rotation + use Rapid Fire again as soon as it wears off
Last edited by Guest on 02 Sep 2015 16:58, edited 19 times in total.

Peacecraft

Re: Beastmaster Hunter Info

#2 » Post by Peacecraft » 07 Jul 2015 04:09

Nice guide, ty for taking the time to post this :).

.Sorrugis

#3 » Post by .Sorrugis » 10 Jul 2015 06:20

Step 1: send pet
Step 2: watch target die from max range

p.s. Nerf bm hunters

TehGre

#4 » Post by TehGre » 21 Jul 2015 12:58

Heya,

I really like your guide and since I was stuck with no idea what to play - I picked a Hunter (I never played one before).
So far I'm having a blast, it's fun and pretty good.
Would it be possible, if it's not too much of a bother, to share a Talent Build for the pet as well? I really don't know on what to focus for the pet's talent tree.
Looking forward to your reply!

Regards,
TehGre

Zanmato

#5 » Post by Zanmato » 21 Jul 2015 13:29

Hey Cleo, i've heard someone mention that Claw (the pet ability) was bugged in the sence that it did not have the cooldown it should. Have you tested that out yet?

Cleofatra

#6 » Post by Cleofatra » 21 Jul 2015 15:16

TehGre: I will try to remember to update this post with that as well! :)

Zanmato: I know Bite did not have any cooldown and could be spammed such that your pet would pretty much always be at 0 focus.

Zanmato

#7 » Post by Zanmato » 21 Jul 2015 15:36

Cleofatra wrote:Zanmato: I know Bite did not have any cooldown and could be spammed such that your pet would pretty much always be at 0 focus.
I'm guessing that + "Go for the Throat" 2/2 is one of the reasons why hunters are doing so well regarding raid dps?

Corrinate

#8 » Post by Corrinate » 22 Jul 2015 02:17

Is Beast Mastery the highest dps spec right now? I remember It used to be Marksmanship and then Survival after a certain amount of agility back in vanilla

Cleofatra

#9 » Post by Cleofatra » 22 Jul 2015 04:25

Added Pet Talents.

Beast mastery seems REALLY strong atm. I haven't tested marksmanship since I can't afford dual spec yet but I plan to :)

Peacecraft

#10 » Post by Peacecraft » 22 Jul 2015 10:23

Zanmato wrote:Hey Cleo, i've heard someone mention that Claw (the pet ability) was bugged in the sense that it did not have the cooldown it should. Have you tested that out yet?
As fun as abusing bugs can be, I'd suggest not doing so & reporting any bugs you find to the staff.

Zanmato

#11 » Post by Zanmato » 22 Jul 2015 16:00

Peacecraft wrote:
Zanmato wrote:Hey Cleo, i've heard someone mention that Claw (the pet ability) was bugged in the sense that it did not have the cooldown it should. Have you tested that out yet?
As fun as abusing bugs can be, I'd suggest not doing so & reporting any bugs you find to the staff.
I completely agree, but since i don't have a hunter myself, i was still trying to confirm what i've heard others say.

Cleofatra

#12 » Post by Cleofatra » 22 Jul 2015 17:27

Peacecraft wrote:

How would you suggest not "abusing" as you put it? Turn bite off auto-cast and bind a key to it? That's silly

Cleofatra

#13 » Post by Cleofatra » 23 Jul 2015 17:39

Raided MC as Marksman last night and still did top 5 DPS... turns out you can play whatever you like as Hunter ^^. Added the spec to the section in the guide.

Also added some links for WotLK Petopia. Looks like Crab or Spider is best for PvP (4 sec immobilize or web), Raptor for Raid BM spec (10% increased damage 50% uptime), Wolf for Raid Marksman spec (AP howl for pet and hunter, 50% uptime).
Last edited by Guest on 28 Jul 2015 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Riezi

#14 » Post by Riezi » 28 Jul 2015 21:12

Is scatter shot used in PVE much?

Cleofatra

#15 » Post by Cleofatra » 28 Jul 2015 22:36

Nope, you really only go scattershot for PVP spec, if you are Trueshot Hunter/prefer Marksman, or once you reach enough Agility for Survival spec to be viable in PVE (BWL gear). Even then you would only use it on trash, razorgore if doing kite strat(?), and 5-man / 10-man dungeons as crisis control. It's not bad in PVP but BM is currently very dominant in PVP it seems because of the STUN and BESTIAL WRATH kill you behind a stump sexytimes.