Feral PvP Guide

Thelildevil

Feral PvP Guide

#1 » Post by Thelildevil » 04 Sep 2011 21:40

I have been a long time Feral, since Vanilla WoW and you can either take this guide with a grain of salt, or use it to help benefit your play-style in arena and battlegrounds.

Keybinding- First of all, one of the main things that helps almost any player is keybinding. I won't make an in-depth guide on binding because there are way better guides that you can just google and every player binds their keys differently. Playing with keybinds frees up your mouse so you can use it to maneuver the camera around and control your character's view. You are able to turn your character around instantly and helps in all forms of PvP. It will also drastically enhance your PvE as well, so it can be used in all aspects of the game. A lot of what I do in BG / Arena in this guide is going to touch on binding, so if you don't bind, try and find some good sites where you can map your spells to the keyboard / mouse buttons. Here is one guide online and there are many more you could look through.
http://www.locksucks.com/2008/08/l2pvp-keybindings/

Talents- Feral talents don't have a lot of variation, and in my opinion, have only one point left over from the main talent build for PvP. The last talent point available is debatable to where you would like to put it, and I put mine into Natural Shapeshifter for a little extra reduced mana cost of shifting (for classes with many slows you will be powershifting quite a lot, especially against a frost mage wizard cleave). This is the standard Feral PvP spec.

Glyphs- At a later time.

Addons- Some addons are not required to play, but just ones that are useful for my style of play. I don't use a lot of addons but I will list what I have in order.

Bartender4- This for me is the most important part of my UI. It allows me to Action-Page one of my bars. In essence, I can triple the amount of skills I put on one of my bars, according to my current form. My top-right action bar pages to a different action bar when I shift, allowing easy access to all my spells I can cast in that current form. I will show a few examples.

Caster Form

Cat Form

Cat Form Prowl

Dire Bear Form

CooldownButtons- Easy to track CDs for all spells in any form. They aren't showing in any of my UI right now, because I didn't use any cooldowns. It tracks spell CDs separate from items and you can place them anywhere on the screen.

CombatLogFix- This fixes random error messages for the combat log. I believe it fixes recount as well, but don't quote me on that.

Elkano's BuffBars- I like the way it looks for my buffs, it also has a matching debuff bar that sits right under it. It can be a little excessive in raids, but I don't even notice it most of the time.

Gladius- This isn't showing either in these screenshots, but is pretty important to my UI since I use a lot of mouseover macros.

Mik's Scrolling Combat Text- I just like the cleaner look of the damage text, compared to the normal text. Not mandatory, but customizable. Very customizable if you get into it a little more.

Macros- I will make these macros copy/paste style, so you could open up your macro screen by typing /m and paste a new macro into the window in seconds. Macros will be in blue so you won't mistakenly put anything else into your macro box.

Powershifting- This is the term used when you switch out of your feral form and shift back into that same form so fast, it is unnoticeable to players. It helps when you are in bear form and are being slowed (say by a rogue), but don't want to be stunned in any form with low armor and want to remove the slows. Most importantly, it removes slows instantly. This macro can easily replace the default spell of shifting (the spell on your stance bar) into your feral form. On my interface I actually hide the stance bar and map the macros onto my UI (bartender4).
*One important note here is to replace the weapon I list after /equip in these macros because when you go into feral form, you will want to have your feral weapon equipped for obvious reasons. If you don't like to weapon swap (which I will detail later on) than you can remove that line completely.

Cat Form Powershifting
#showtooltip Cat Form(Shapeshift)
/cast !Cat Form(Shapeshift)
/equip insert feral weapon name here

Bear Form Powershifting
#showtooltip Dire Bear Form(Shapeshift)
/cast !Dire Bear Form(Shapeshift)
/equip insert feral weapoon name here

Pounce (also known as the Ghetto Sap- This macro is good for a pounce when facing another stealth class. The use of this macro is to target the enemy as soon as they are in sight when you are prowling around looking for them and pounce on them. Otherwise, when you see them stealth by, you might not be able to pounce them quick enough before you are able to manually target/pounce. You will have to spam this spell to make sure you pounce them immediately after you see them in stealth.
#showtooltip
/Cleartarget [noexists]
/Targetenemy [noexists]
/Cast Pounce
/Cleartarget

Weapon Swap Macros- As of the current patch, I discourage the use of weapon swap macros for your spells. The main reason is it only helps instant spells (including those gained from Nature's Swiftness). The reason I don't recommend the use of these macros anymore is that if you have to hard cast any of the spells that aren't instant normally, than you're going to lose time to the GCD of the spell you are casting when swapping weapons. Also, if your healing weapon has a lot less stamina than your feral weapon, you will lose health when reequipping your feral weapon.
Still, I will include the macro here if you choose to weapon swap, just remember that it will only work with instant spells so don't use Cyclone or Healing Touch with this macro unless Nature's Swiftness is ready. If you do decide to use weapon swapping for spells with a cast time, I encourage you to have each of those spells on your action bars twice, once with the weapon swap and once without. In my opinion, druids action bars are already bloated enough with so many spells it doesn't make it worth it to make macros for them all.
#showtooltip Lifebloom
/equip insert healing weapon name here
/cast Lifebloom

Fun Macros- I will add more to this section later.
Survival Instincts + Lifeblood (for herbalists only)- Casts Survival Instincts and then Lifeblood for extra healing.
#showtooltip Survival Instincts
/cast Survival Instincts
/use Lifeblood

Barkskin + Corroded Skeleton Key- Uses the Corroded Skeleton Key then casts Barkskin
#showtooltip Barkskin
/use Corroded Skeleton Key
/cast Barkskin

Focus Macros- I don't use these so I will refer you to another website with a more detailed guide on them. http://wow.zuggaming.com/2008/06/20/focus-macro-guide/

Mouseover Macros- I use these for a lot of my spells, and it saves so much time from having to switch targets and cast a spell. A mouseover macro is a series of commands that lets you press a single button (on either your keyboard or your mouse) to heal the target that your mouse pointer is currently hovering over. It replaces tab or click targeting as a quick way to crowd control, or even a quick way to heal/decurse/abolish poison on your teammates. Mouseover macros let you target a player (or even a player's portrait) and cast a spell in just one movement. Here is an example...
#showtooltip Lifebloom
/cast [target=mouseover,help] Lifebloom; [help] Lifebloom; Lifebloom

In this example if you have a mouseover target, you cast Lifebloom on them. If you don't have a mouseover target but have a normal target, you cast Lifebloom on them. If you don't have a mouseover target or normal target, you cast Lifebloom on yourself.
It is important to note that this spell also works for offensive spells, like cyclone. You can hover your mouse over the actual character or their portrait and cast the spell. You can also cast them over your add-on portraits (Grid/Gladius). This way you don't have to switch targets while crowd controlling or defensive dispels/heals on your teammates.

Gear, Gems, & Stats- For PvP you will be using mostly PvP gear for the high resilience it will afford you. You will want to fill out your PvP Honor set as fast as possible and you will notice a drastic difference in your survivability. Because of the limited armor and defensive abilities ferals have, gearing towards 1200 resilience is where you want to be until you hit higher ranked arenas. This is a rough estimate and will completely depend on your arena partners as well. When you start getting more than 1200 resilience, it is possible that you can start switching out some PvP gear for more damage (for 2v2 only).
Druids mostly gem Agility for PvP since it affects all of our damage, from white hits to bleeds, and because your enemies aren't going to stand in one place while you hit them from behind. There are many times that when I go to cyclone a healer the DPS is dying to my bleeds while I am not right next to them, so by the time I come back to them, they are just a little easier to finish. It is debatable to gem Arm Pen in PvP, and I have done both. It has the benefits of killing plate classes easier, but is not that great against clothies. In 2v2 I choose to gem Agi because I run with a priest healer and we don't have trouble killing a plate target with coordinated cc on the healer. Not to mention all the extra crit you will get by gemming Agility which helps vs high resilience as well. The trouble druids will run into is Wizard Cleaves. If you can't force a wizard cleave to play defensive quick enough, you could easily die while your healer eats a chain of crowd controls.
Depending on your teammate and the teams you go up against, it is up to you to gem Arm Pen instead of Agility.

Comps- I will add strategies at another time.
2v2 Comps- I usually choose to run with a Disc Priest because of their ability to dispel and mana burn. Other viable options I have played are a rogue and a hunter. The hardest comp that I have played, though, is with a hunter. You can put out a lot of damage but if the game takes too long, you can run out of mana or your hunter can run out of defensive CDs.

3v3 Comps- An important note is that in 3v3, Feral Druids need to run high resilience, and can't afford to swap out for PvE gear since they are often focused. Hunters and Wizard Cleaves chew through you fast, forcing early defensive CDs. 1200 resilience is great here, more if you can get it. Just don't gem for it.
Kitty Cleave (Holy Paladin, Warrior, Feral)- This is a fun comp to play as a feral druid because you have the ability to make hard switches for a kill, or just tunnel damage into one person from the other team. You have little CC in this comp, and it really relies heavily on the druid to minimize incoming damage, and to put pressure on the other healer to force them to use defensive CDs.
Priest Rogue Feral- You are able to tunnel quick bursts of damage, and have decent CC in this team. You need to be very coordinated for this comp to work at high ratings.

For 3v3 I don't know too many other good comps that work at high ratings, but you will want to have a mortal strike effect in your comp to get the most out of your damage.
Last edited by Guest on 15 Sep 2011 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Thelildevil

Re: Feral PvP Guide

#2 » Post by Thelildevil » 04 Sep 2011 21:41

Reserved for later ;)

Myaoming
Former Staff

#3 » Post by Myaoming » 15 Sep 2011 12:36

Thelildevil wrote:Fun Macros- I will add more to this section later.
Survival Instincts + Lifebloom (for herbalists only)- Casts Survival Instincts and then Lifebloom for extra healing.
/cast Survival Instincts
/cast Lifebloom
Its Lifeblood not Lifebloom :D
and for the Gemmin part i suggest going Agi gems:
1 Agi = 1 AP in Cat (More AP = more bleed damage)
83.3 Agi = 1% Crit Chance :shock:
Agi increases Dodge Chance
Agi increases Healing Effects due to Nurturing Instinct (talent)
Agi gives Armor

Arpen is just... Arpen :lol:
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Thelildevil

#4 » Post by Thelildevil » 15 Sep 2011 15:13

Good catch :P . I have actually been meaning to come and edit that one anyways, because it is not /cast but /use. I did a lot of the bulk of this offline and should have literally copy/pasted from my own personal macros.

Anyways, yes it is good to go for Agility as feral instead of Arm Pen because of a few things. One major reason that pushed me over towards Agility more than Arm Pen is the amount of resilience I was starting to go up against. With the reduced crit % on my opponents, I was pulling less and less combo points w/o critting.

Stray

#5 » Post by Stray » 18 Dec 2011 08:35

First of all really nice guide there. I would like to add some information from my personal experience over the years. Since I am starting to forget the game.

I wanna add that you can't play Feral PvP without keybindings, that's the truth. You need the mouse to move behind your opponents and land shreds. If somebody wants my bindings, just ask Jamhead in-game or in this topic.
Just don't keep Claw and Cower on your bars.

For macros I don't really agree about the weapon switch, because I used it allot.

#Showtooltip
/castsequence reset=13 Lifebloom, Healing Touch, Nourish
/Equip Healing Weapon Name Here

That's a good macro for it. On your other form macros just add a line on the bottom containing:
/Equip Feral Weapon Name Here

Use focus macros so you don't have to switch between opponents and lose time. I used my Cyclone/Entangling Roots/Hibernate like this:
/Target Focus
/Cast Cyclone

If you don't have a focus target it will cast the cyclone on your current one, if you have a target on focus it will cast on it.

If you have Engineering you can add Rockets to this macro. Since Feral Cat Charge is needed in rare occasions
(Like when somebody is chasing you and you jump from somewhere high and he follows you and you charge him back) this is a macro you will need:
/Cast !Dire Bear Form(Shapeshift)
/Cast Feral Charge - Bear
/Equip Feral Weapon Name Here

Travel Macro for saving some spot:
/stopcasting
/cast [swimming] Aquatic Form;
/cast [indoors] Cat Form;
/cast [flyable,nocombat] Swift Flight Form;
/cast [combat,outdoors] Travel Form;
/use [nocombat,outdoors,noswimming,noflyable] Mount Name Here;
/dismount [mounted]

For Glyphs:
Major Choices - Glyph of Berserk, Glyph of Survival Instincts, Glyph of Shred, Glyph of Rip.
Glyph of Rip is a must. The others depend on your playstyle and opponents.
Minor Glyphs - Glyph of Dash is a must the others don't mather. Just don't take Aquatic, Challenging Roar or Typhoon for PvP Cat.

On the stats ArP helps almost the same against plate wearing classes as it does to cloth wearing ones. The first 10000 Armor is important.
I played with a lot of changes of gear. For 2v2 with a Rogue I would go with more offensive gear, while with a discipline priest a little bit more defensive.
Played in arena with a Shammy and Hunter aswell for 2v2 but I am not so happy with those combos.
For 3v3 I agree with Thelildevil.

For Addons I would strongly reccomend Spell Alerter.
For PvP Proffesions Engineering is strongly reccomended too.

I haven't edited my language mistakes or anything because I am going to bed need sleep so I can work later. Feel free to use anything from here Thelildevil.

Here is an old topic from Elitis Jerks:
http://elitistjerks.com/f38/t42715-drui ... vp_thread/

If somebody has specific questions I would gladly answer.
Anyway purr, purr bye!

Avassar

#6 » Post by Avassar » 25 Jul 2013 23:55

Oh my, I really enjoyed this guide! It's perfectly clear and so educative, my compliments!

However, I disagree with Stray saying that "Glyph of Rip is a must". I don't use it myself because I believe using a major glyph slot for ONE extra tick of rip is such a waste. I personally use Savage Roar, Berserk and Mangle for that extra damage output. I used to replace Mangle with Survival Instincts because it basically gives you that little extra HP needed to survive while your healer is CC'd.

Furthermore I really enjoyed ARP on ferals. Perhaps you lose some AP and crit but you still put out some extreme damage anyway vs clothers. It gives you such an advantage on platers. But I guess this is personal. I've seen druids on AT with 2.6k rating who preferred AGI and some ARP.

But over-all good input, good advice and good guiding, thanks alot!
Bloodclaw

Darchrow
Donor

#7 » Post by Darchrow » 26 Jul 2013 00:20

something i've learned through my wow experience : Don't argue with Stray about anything related to druid
that guy could win you in a duel feral druid vs feral druid with full hp, even if he has furious gear and you full wrath
he just simply ridiculed all of AT's feral druids with his rele gear
if stray says glyph of rip is a must, then glyph or rip is a must :P :lol:
teh char list ( 80s ) :
Jynx / Zubat / Alyce ( Swagmourne ) / Discord / Redtube
Disruption / Perplexity / Magejkdruid / Swagstormxqt ( Swagmobile )
Vinegar ~ Lvl 51 Rogue

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

[Guild] [Angrycow]: nice to meet u im Sava and im really horny person

kindzadza ily

Myaoming
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Myaoming » 26 Jul 2013 00:45

Oh reminds me!
Myaoming wrote:
Thelildevil wrote:Fun Macros- I will add more to this section later.
Survival Instincts + Lifebloom (for herbalists only)- Casts Survival Instincts and then Lifebloom for extra healing.
/cast Survival Instincts
/cast Lifebloom
Its Lifeblood not Lifebloom :D
and for the Gemmin part i suggest going Agi gems:
1 Agi = 1 AP in Cat (More AP = more bleed damage)
83.3 Agi = 1% Crit Chance :shock:
Agi increases Dodge Chance
Agi increases Healing Effects due to Nurturing Instinct (talent)
Agi gives Armor

Arpen is just... Arpen :lol:
After all Arpen is not that bad... You can use few PvEs and gem Arpen, have around 700-800, and still have 57-60% Crit, 1000-1050 Resi, and around 28k HP, which is awesome in my opinion for PvP kitties. It'd make their lives easier vs healers, as well as platters who shall be nuked when possible (depending on their class and what abilities they pop or what abilities are on cooldown). The burst can make people cry sometimes :D
But good luck farming for the appropriate PvE gear.
Avassar wrote:However, I disagree with Stray saying that "Glyph of Rip is a must". I don't use it myself because I believe using a major glyph slot for ONE extra tick of rip is such a waste. I personally use Savage Roar, Berserk and Mangle for that extra damage output. I used to replace Mangle with Survival Instincts because it basically gives you that little extra HP needed to survive while your healer is CC'd.
Yeah it's indeed not a must, but it's something to consider. The only must I see for PvP is Glyph of Berserk. My personal second preference is Glyph of Mangle, but you can choose between Glyph of Survival Instincts, Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration, and Glyph of Barkskin for Survival. Glyph of Savage Roar, Glyph of Rip, or Glyph of Shred for offense. However I don't really recommend Savage Roar, because the already minimal bonus (3%) becomes more minimal when reduced by Armor and Resilience.
Actually for Glyph of Rip, it gives 2 extra ticks, and 3 extra ticks for Glyph of Shred. Also these 2 Glyphs gives you a big plus vs Rogues especially, besides platters, because it's an additional 4-6 seconds out of Stealth for them when you're CC'd. But still, good Rogues will manage to Stealth Cheap Shot you in the given 2 seconds between ticks :)
Just know that you have 0% chance to win vs good Subs. But anyway duels are not what really matter in PvP.

And no Darchrow :P

jamhead

#9 » Post by jamhead » 26 Jul 2013 15:04

The reason to use Glyph of Rip+Shred is that those 10 seconds make your rotation flow far more smoothly. With it, your rip will last 22 seconds, making it over half the duration of Savage Roar (34 seconds), with enough GCD's spare to apply them back to back. Have a little go on the training dummy, once without rip+shred and then with them, I've never swapped back since :P
Without those glyphs your looking at approximately applying 3 rips every savage roar:
Rip -> 12*3 = 36 seconds, Savage Roar -> 34 seconds.
Now also consider trying to reapply rip in 12 seconds without tiger's fury or berserk. If your unlucky with combo points, and it's also time to apply savage roar, your gonna lose a ton of bleed time. Not only that, your losing an opportunity to use either maim or FB for even greater pressure.

I used to always use glyph of barkskin+rip, but I when I swapped to try it out, it's just far more easy to line up savage roar and rip together with 100% uptime, and 100% uptime will get you far more damage than the tiny amount you'll get from glyph of Savage Roar.

Glyph of mangle is a really poor choice unless you either have bad latency and can't shred effectively, or your using mangle spam spec. You should really only be using mangle once per minute. If your thinking of cases when you can't shred, e.g. mages, your damage doesn't come from mangle, it comes from well timed ferocious bites, dealing 10k when done right. The only time otherwise to use mangle is for Infected Wounds.

The problem with glyph of Survival Instincts is that, firstly it only gets you around 5k health in bear form, good for maybe 2 GCD's vs a caster, but more importantly is that its a huge pain in the ass when it runs out and your healer is just about managing to heal you up, BOOM 45% drop in hp. I think any more than 30% and your just a ticking time bomb :P

Finally as for Glyph of Barkskin: Imo it's the best choice after Rip+Shred since it can reduce a crap ton of damage mainly vs rogues. I'd definitely use this if I was to make a dueling spec, but in arena I don't use it purely because it just gets dispelled in the matches that it's most useful (mainly BS Lock/Ele ruining my rating grgraywufvah!! )
Currently addicted to hearthstone playing at legend rank. Feel free to add jamhead#2986

My quest to prove anybody can paint - jamheadii.deviantart.com

Check out my new puzzle game Slide!

Myaoming
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Myaoming » 26 Jul 2013 17:51

jamhead wrote:Glyph of mangle is a really poor choice unless you either have bad latency and can't shred effectively
You got me there :P

But w/e now my net is better. I wanna try Berserk + Rip + Shred.
jamhead wrote:The reason to use Glyph of Rip+Shred is that those 10 seconds make your rotation flow far more smoothly. With it, your rip will last 22 seconds, making it over half the duration of Savage Roar (34 seconds), with enough GCD's spare to apply them back to back. Have a little go on the training dummy, once without rip+shred and then with them, I've never swapped back since :P
Without those glyphs your looking at approximately applying 3 rips every savage roar:
Rip -> 12*3 = 36 seconds, Savage Roar -> 34 seconds.
Now also consider trying to reapply rip in 12 seconds without tiger's fury or berserk. If your unlucky with combo points, and it's also time to apply savage roar, your gonna lose a ton of bleed time. Not only that, your losing an opportunity to use either maim or FB for even greater pressure.
Not to mention that you also don't wanna lose a GCD + 5 combos that could be used to land a FB, to reapply Rip when on Berserk. With both Glyphs, you apply Rip, make sure Savage Roar is up, and pop Berserk.
Rip (22 seconds) > Berserk (20 seconds if Glyphed)

Myaoming
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Myaoming » 01 Aug 2013 14:49

Well, forgot to count in GCDs from Shreds to finally get a 22 seconds Rip.
So basically: Rip (22 seconds - 4 GCD = 18 seconds) < Berserk (20 seconds - 1 GCD = 19 seconds)
Still big :D

Avassar

#12 » Post by Avassar » 04 Aug 2013 12:45

Darchrow wrote:something i've learned through my wow experience : Don't argue with Stray about anything related to druid
that guy could win you in a duel feral druid vs feral druid with full hp, even if he has furious gear and you full wrath
he just simply ridiculed all of AT's feral druids with his rele gear
if stray says glyph of rip is a must, then glyph or rip is a must :P :lol:
With all due respect mate, you don't even know me ^_^
Bloodclaw

jamhead

#13 » Post by jamhead » 04 Aug 2013 20:48

Ah so today I read that glyph of barkskin doesn't decrease spell crit chance! I might actually just drop it on my resto as well after reading that. I think that just makes it a pretty poor choice for feral also in my book, since casters in arena are the biggest problem for feral normally.
Currently addicted to hearthstone playing at legend rank. Feel free to add jamhead#2986

My quest to prove anybody can paint - jamheadii.deviantart.com

Check out my new puzzle game Slide!