[PW] Druid Tanking

Mickiii

[PW] Druid Tanking

#1 » Post by Mickiii » 06 Oct 2017 14:29

Hi

I feel that i am having trouble generating threat, might be gear related, but I am located around 900 TPS, it feels like i should be higher, but I'm not sure.

And because of that, i wanted to simply check:
In TBC, there was a Talent in the Feral tree that said:
Feral Instinct (0/3):
"Increates threat caused in Bear and Dire Bear form by 5% and reduces the chance enemies have to detect you while prawling"

So, if we stacked 3 points here, we would get 15% more threat... Simply put: My question is, is this taken into account in some other way or are we loosing those 15% threat now?

Since the current talent is that it increases the damage done by swipe.

Just trying to learn more about how the TBC version is working on this server and what i can do to keep the mobbs away from dps:ers..

Thanks in advance

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

Re: [PW] Druid Tanking

#2 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 06 Oct 2017 14:41

Base threat in Bear form was beefed up significantly from TBC to WotLK so, if I understand your question correctly, that extra threat was made standard - and then some.
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

Mickiii

#3 » Post by Mickiii » 06 Oct 2017 15:50

Alright, then perhaps i need to focus more on Agility for that extra attack power to gain more threat on both single target and on swipe, should be right?

flosr1
Donor

#4 » Post by flosr1 » 06 Oct 2017 20:19

you do not get attack power from agility in bear form. only crit. check your stats window. you would get attack power from strength, but going for strength is not a good choice either. because it does not add anything to defensive stats like agility does (dodge).

it might just be your gear level or your talents. can you post a link to your armory profile? maybe we can give advice.

as for gear, regarding talents and items that are availabe on primal wow TBC content...
you should go for this priority: Armor (also enchants wherever possible) > Stamina > Agility > Dodge.
Most items will have those stats anyway, maybe also some extra dodge. Try to use rings, necks etc. with high armor and stamina. those also have def usually. while you do not need that as a druid, it gives you some extra dodge. but do not go for def. it is really just an extra.

it might be handy to have some hitrating and expertise at the beginning, for more aggro. Try to get 2 pieces of wastealker set. either pants and shoulders or pants and hands, if you have better shoulders. also try to get the cenarion expedition mace (expertise). the helm for 50 heroic tokens also has great bear tank stats + hitrating.

later, when you have some experience, you should be able to ignore those stats and go fully for the bear stats, mentioned above.

i can also give you some macros that will make your life easier. just whisper me ingame, "Elarim" or "Aelen"

Mickiii

#5 » Post by Mickiii » 06 Oct 2017 20:52

Hi

Thanks for the responds.

https://truewow.org/armory/character.ph ... fh&realm=p

I have 421 def, i get about 12k hp when buffed, around 32% dodge.

Still feel that i have trouble getting rage/threat...

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 06 Oct 2017 21:06

Well, I see that you spent 5 points (really 7) to get Natural Shapeshifter in the resto tree for +4% physical damage when you could have just soent those 5 in Naturalist for +10% damage. Theres +6% more dmg/threat. I would also highly suggest moving points to get Infected Wounds to reduce your incoming damage by a lot when there is no Warrior around.
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

Mickiii

#7 » Post by Mickiii » 06 Oct 2017 21:26

Good tips, I'll look into respeccing those points. Really appreciate all hints i can get :)

flosr1
Donor

#8 » Post by flosr1 » 06 Oct 2017 21:52

Infected Wounds is a waste of points, at least for a char that raids. if you don't raid, you can take that.

there are basically only 5 talent points you should change. put 2 points away from furor and those 3 from improved mangle and put them into naturalist. improved mangle and furor might sound good in theory, but practically those are not really important. mangle is great, but your main threat comes from maul and autoattack. so 10% more physical dmg on all attacks is worth more than a reduced cooldown on mangle. also you don't need a 100% chance on rage when you shapeshift. you won't shapeshift before every pull and even if it doesn't proc, you still have your enrage.

i would keep natural shapeshifter + master shapeshifter, for same reason as naturalist (maul and autoattack threat)

Mickiii

#9 » Post by Mickiii » 06 Oct 2017 22:04

I'll think about changing those..

Gonna buy the def neck for 25 badges, think it will help.
That way i can most likley alter some of the gems without going under 415 def and still gain stamina or hit/agi.

flosr1
Donor

#10 » Post by flosr1 » 06 Oct 2017 23:41

you don't need def as a druid. you are crit immune by talents. only use items with def if they have other good stats. like stamina and armor

you only need armor > stamina > agility > dodge

dgreenbe

#11 » Post by dgreenbe » 07 Oct 2017 00:10

Definitely not an optimal use of badges. The JC neck Necklace of the Deep has a reduced materials cost in Wrath and is best in slot for bear tank until Black Temple.

Best suggestion is to move away from Heavy Clefthoof set because it is not only notorious for offering 0 threat, but the defense is unnecessary this path. The Wastewalker suggestion is a good one.

Also, probably one of the best threat items you can acquire solo is Clefthoof Hide Leggings (Showdown! quest chain). It's loaded with bear stats for tankiness and threat.

flosr1
Donor

#12 » Post by flosr1 » 07 Oct 2017 00:41

yeah kinda only good clefthoof set item is the chest, until you get t4 chest or nightbane chest

Mickiii

#13 » Post by Mickiii » 07 Oct 2017 06:05

Oh, i was sure i needed 415 defence to be critimmune? That the talents only reduced from 490 that pally/warrior need down to 415..

Mickiii

#14 » Post by Mickiii » 07 Oct 2017 06:18

Based on what you are all saying, it kinda makes my current tanking gear completly wrong and useless :/

agrodon

#15 » Post by agrodon » 07 Oct 2017 07:10

That may explain why you're struggling.