DK tanking tip

Ogglethorpe

DK tanking tip

#1 » Post by Ogglethorpe » 30 Jul 2010 13:50

As a DK tank its incredibly important to get as many runic strikes off as possible. They are attacks of the type "on next melee" and don't cause a global cooldown. As you'll have plenty of runic power, macro RS to ALL of your skills! Make sure you dont miss a single of those attacks and try to hit that RS button any time you dont see it yellow bordered as well. U won't lose aggro this way.

As a frost DK, i started dual wielding and this helps me a lot to get as many runic strikes as possible, with fast 1.70 speed weapons in both hands. I always wanted to be a dk tank with a two-handed weapon, and wasnt too fond of getting into dual wielding. I just did it because i could not find tanking weapons for twohander-users! Consider the change at 80. (unless you dont like the idea of a dual wielding tank, many swear to twohanders for the aggro of the melee attacks)

I hope you guys try this trick to get runic strikes. Being the only dk tank atm, i guess ill have to wait for a review for a while.

Stryke

Re: DK tanking tip

#2 » Post by Stryke » 29 Oct 2010 14:04

I suggest getting Glyph of Howling Blast as well. It makes your Howling Blast put a disease on all enemies within range. Follow it up with a Blood Boil. That should make a good opener (better than D6D imo) Rune Strike ensues :)

OkweL

#3 » Post by OkweL » 29 Oct 2010 20:55

Last edited by OkweL on 03 Sep 2011 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Roel
Founder

#4 » Post by Roel » 29 Oct 2010 21:06

I don't think you know how tanking works, they have AoE abilities and are good in AoE tanking.
But nobody can escape the fact that warriors and paladins must tank bosses. Threat is one thing but it's of no use if you get one-hit by the Lich King.

Stryke

#5 » Post by Stryke » 29 Oct 2010 22:52

I've actually tanked Marrowgar, Lady Deathwhisper, Rotface. (If i weren't main-spec dps I'd have tanked saurfang jr. as well but we let the OT do it to have more dps to beat the timer) I didn't lose aggro on any boss.
I don't believe that only warriors and paladins must tank bosses. Blizz makes sure that all tanking class can tank. Some may be better than others in different situations but all should be able to MT and/or OT every encounter available in-game.

Roel
Founder

#6 » Post by Roel » 29 Oct 2010 23:02

10 man ICC is easy, the real stuff is 25 hc. I don't think you can tank that even with t10.5
On retail every major guild has a pally or warrior as MT. DK is good as OT.

z932074

#7 » Post by z932074 » 19 Jan 2011 08:45

Okay, sorry for the necro post, but I had to say something here.

I'm new here, coming from retail. Unfortunately my finances require me to search a more budget friendly alternative to retail, and I think TrueWoW may be the solution.

Having said that, My main on retail was a Death Knight. Dual Spec Frost Tank / Blood Tank. If specced correctly, most of the time meaning being specced as a blood tank, A DK can tank any encounter in the game. I've Tanked 11/12 in ICC, not to mention cleared Ulduar / ToC(easy sauce) as my guild's main tank. Yes, I mean 25 man. I've also tanked 4/12 ICC in 25 heroic, as well as cleared mim/XT/FL Hard modes as a DK Tank. (I've also completed ToC 25h, but that's like kiddie stuff)

I cringe when I hear people say that DK's cannot tank as well as other tanking classes. It's a deprecated stereotype from the days when the DK class was new, and NOBODY knew how to play one.

On top of that, we as DKs also get a bad name due to the fact that we start at level 55, and many people roll on and immediately try to tank, without knowing the intricacies of the class, or how it functions. These people usually fail pretty hard in their first few attempts at tanking, and reinforce the "All DK's are noobs" mentality.

In summary, while there are many factors working against the Death Knight community, there are many pro DK players out there, and the class is just as viable for DPS or tanking as any other comparable class.

-Z9

Warpath

#8 » Post by Warpath » 30 Jan 2011 12:50

I did that begging DK quest, where u must kill 100 elites, I killed like 50 of them, without QC. 1 wrong move and u die. Now, I know how to play my DK very good. And DK's can tank.

Gaiseric

#9 » Post by Gaiseric » 03 Jul 2011 14:10

Well,dk's are excellent single target tanks (tho in icc you get 20% dodge reduced which sucks xD).
I've never lost aggro on my target (frost DW,2 hits per rune strike=major aggro),but aoe/trash tanking is what I don't excel at.I start with D&D,glyphed Howling Blast and Blood Boil.But then I have to wait for my runes to finish cd,which in most cases result in losing aggro on mobs I'm not targeting.Any tips for situations like these?

claptrap

#10 » Post by claptrap » 28 Jul 2011 15:28

I hear alot of people complaining on both the forum and in game that DK's can't hold AoE threat so here's a tip:

If you're tanking a group, put DnD right next to the closest mob and then immediately hit it with Icy touch and run into your DnD cloud and stand there. Plague strike your target and then spread your diseases.

Yes, this leaves you with no runes left for a second, but it generates a huge amount of AoE threat, and I've never had anyone pull off of me unless they were single targeting the wrong mob.

shadowdragon1925

#11 » Post by shadowdragon1925 » 11 Jun 2012 18:59

My main char is a blood DK tank and here is some tips( for blood tanking!)
If a boss enrages or the boss gets a damage increase dont forget to take down ur blood runes, because if you are speked into blood, you will have "blood barrier" that decreases damage taken for 10 secs, you can spam it until you run out of runes.
Another thing is that if you are about to receive brutal hits by a boss, try to use "army of the dead" it will decrease damage taken(i believe).
In cases of spell type boss, like lady deathwishper, you could use anti-magic shell, even if you are not speked into unholy, it will greatly decrease spell damage taken for a short period.
"Icebound fortitude" is very useful against bosses that deal great melee damage, like LK, do not forget to use it asap!
"Mark of blood", its amazingly usefull against all types of bosses, it does not only heal you bot also party members that get hit by the targeted oponent!
One last thing, there is a power named "hysteria" u must be blood to use it, target a some melee dps of your party or raid group and he will get 20% more damage for 20 seconds!!!
If somoene want, /w my Dk name:shadowwarder, if you want to copy my talents or just want to check on them :)
Last edited by Guest on 11 Jun 2012 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Flexall
Donor

#12 » Post by Flexall » 11 Jun 2012 19:56

Fine then >.>
Last edited by Flexall on 12 Jun 2012 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ever get stuck not knowing how to play free WoW? Well have no fear, just go here and download the game completely free (it's safe, even I use it). Once you do so, you will need to change your realmlist. You can do this by opening the WoW directory and navigating to (Data>EnUs>) open up realmlist.wtf with notepad and change it to

Code: Select all

Set Realmlist login.truewow.org
Congratulations!
Now you can run WoW.exe and login with your account name and password on our server

On a side-note, if you are having issues accessing TPB you can use an alternate proxie in this list.

Cover25

#13 » Post by Cover25 » 11 Jun 2012 20:18

Flexall wrote:Wtf? ....
last post: 28 Jul 2011
Your post: 11 Jun 2012

Necro much?
Actually, he posted tips so it's not necroing.....

shadowdragon1925

#14 » Post by shadowdragon1925 » 12 Jun 2012 04:17

These are tips... Only tryng to help :)

Intervention
Former Staff

#15 » Post by Intervention » 12 Jun 2012 10:52

You don't actually expect him to make a new topic, it's not like he dug it up or anything, lol...

I feel as if i should gear up my Death Knight a bit. Perhaps i'll try tanking on him xD
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!