DK tanks from a healers view.

Ogglethorpe

DK tanks from a healers view.

#1 » Post by Ogglethorpe » 26 Jul 2010 14:54

Do DK tanks give many issues to the main healers of a bigger group? I can tank 5 mans very well and even do some very decent dps while tanking, but im concerned that i maybe should level my paladin to tank and heal at lvl 80, rather than a DK tank.

I hope its all about preference and that a DK is not underpowered as a tank, as i really like DK tanking. (especially being a gnome)

Thanks already!

Tia

Re: DK tanks from a healers view.

#2 » Post by Tia » 27 Jul 2010 14:29

From my point of view as a healer, as long as the tank can keep the mobs on themselves, has high defence rating so as not to be hit by critical hits, and has decent health pool, it really does not matter whether he is war, pally, druid or DK ;)

Ogglethorpe

#3 » Post by Ogglethorpe » 29 Jul 2010 16:34

I have over 540 now so u finally dont have to worry about me getting crit to death anymore :p

And a +200 dodge sigil that procs a LOT :D next time we get some emblems you'll have it even easier :p

EDIT: actually, for Garfrost u wont need to heal me at all anymore. I can solo PoS to that point atm, if i can do it with 4 dpsers we can farm emblems lightning fast!

Universe

#4 » Post by Universe » 21 Oct 2010 23:38

As a DK Tank Raider, in 5 mans it was cake.. In Raids specially with alot of trash, dk's lack that aoe tanking like paladins, druids.. We as dk tanks only have a dnd, blood boil after diseases spread.. to keep agroo over a large ammount of mobs so thats always has been a issue for me.. Other wise Dk tanks are a + to any boss pulls, 1 on 1 boss fights other then that, bosses/trash that requires alot of aoe is better left to druids, paladins.. :) hope it helps

Stryke

#5 » Post by Stryke » 26 Oct 2010 00:39

Did ICC tonight as the Main Tank.
On Boss fights I had no problem holdin aggro, even on small groups on mobs (1-5 mobs). Larger pulls are much too hard for me to keep aggro on.
Overall I think we're good :)

Toxic Reaper

#6 » Post by Toxic Reaper » 26 Oct 2010 10:05

I have to agree saying you were a good tank, and from my view point as both healer and dps DK tanks seem to only struggle to keep the aggro when it is mass AOE dps on 4+ mobs other than that they are good as any other tank (still think pally and druid better AOE tanks though)
ToxicReaper- Tauren Druid:
- Restoration PvP and PvE
- Balance PvP

Ghainelor- Orc Deathknight:
- Blood Tank PvE
- Unholy PvP and PvE

Dokusei-Orc Shaman:
- Restoration PvE and PvP
- Elemental PvP and PvE

Infinitus- Undead Priest:
- Discipline PvP and PvE
- Shadow PvP

Bloodintent- Undead Rogue:
- Assassination PvP and PvE
- Subtlety PvP

Rythen- Undead Warlock:
- Affliction PvE and PvP
- Destruction PvE

Choine- Undead Mage:
- Frost PvP
- Fireball-TTW PvE

Paradigma- Buttelf Paladin:
- Protection PvE and PvP
- Holy PvP and PvE

Stryke

#7 » Post by Stryke » 27 Oct 2010 12:21

Toxic Reaper wrote:I have to agree saying you were a good tank, and from my view point as both healer and dps DK tanks seem to only struggle to keep the aggro when it is mass AOE dps on 4+ mobs other than that they are good as any other tank (still think pally and druid better AOE tanks though)
They also struggle when the dps looks at their dps-meters instead of what they attack. This goes out to all dpsers who wander here: ATTACK THE TANK'S TARGET. I've had enough people nearly dying because they just attack the 1st mob they see. :evil:

Toxic Reaper

#8 » Post by Toxic Reaper » 28 Oct 2010 12:36

Stryke wrote: They also struggle when the dps looks at their dps-meters instead of what they attack. This goes out to all dpsers who wander here: ATTACK THE TANK'S TARGET. I've had enough people nearly dying because they just attack the 1st mob they see. :evil:
^^
So true
ToxicReaper- Tauren Druid:
- Restoration PvP and PvE
- Balance PvP

Ghainelor- Orc Deathknight:
- Blood Tank PvE
- Unholy PvP and PvE

Dokusei-Orc Shaman:
- Restoration PvE and PvP
- Elemental PvP and PvE

Infinitus- Undead Priest:
- Discipline PvP and PvE
- Shadow PvP

Bloodintent- Undead Rogue:
- Assassination PvP and PvE
- Subtlety PvP

Rythen- Undead Warlock:
- Affliction PvE and PvP
- Destruction PvE

Choine- Undead Mage:
- Frost PvP
- Fireball-TTW PvE

Paradigma- Buttelf Paladin:
- Protection PvE and PvP
- Holy PvP and PvE

Universe

#9 » Post by Universe » 04 Nov 2010 21:52

a story of all tanks.. :(((

Loss

#10 » Post by Loss » 05 Nov 2010 14:03

I honestly never liked healing DKs on my Shaman on diff server. They seem to lose a lot of health really fast. I think Pallys are probably my favorite to heal.

Stryke

#11 » Post by Stryke » 06 Nov 2010 01:45

DKs are all about dodge and parry. If we have enough of those we're quite easy to heal.

Cryptonite

#12 » Post by Cryptonite » 07 Nov 2010 01:21

DKs that lose health easy are either not survivability speced or have crappy gear on them(which is any tanks downfall) they have rune tap, death strike mark of blood, AWESOME dodge and parry if u spec and gear right (not talking Ilvl just the fact that u build up on those 2) heart strike does dmg to more than 1 mob and also has a fair amount of agro. icy touch does almost as much agro as a taunt, u have a taunt death grip taunts.. D&D does imba agro in frost pres. what more do u want in a tank? I had a friend that was chosen above any warrior or pala to tank raids especially bosses coz he lost less HP than most tanks would.. I should know with him as tank I sometimes solo healed with my druid and concentrated on the raid more than on him (basically I just stood there and cured aoe poisons or w/e)oh and I forgot about death pact.. HP aint usually DKs tank prob.. it's the player behind the DK or the spec. that's just my 2 cents allot will disagree, disagree if u want unholy blight all your diseases and pestilence help with agro as well hmm vampiric blood is another HP booster, icebound fortitude reduces all dmg by 30% + additional dmg reduction based on the defense rating.. anti magic shell for caster bosses. yea w/e I can continue for quite some time..

Stryke

#13 » Post by Stryke » 07 Nov 2010 02:29

Very true Denzar. Except Heart Strike and Vampiric Blood are blood talents. I tank as frost. With Unbreakable Armor & Icebound Fortitude as my main damage reducing talents. I don't know what healers that healed me think, but I don't really notice my health dropping down fast (ok ya, last boss in fos heroic with the phantom blasts but tht's cause he's so boring i fall asleep :P )

Cryptonite

#14 » Post by Cryptonite » 07 Nov 2010 09:47

hehe I was merely giving an example of a spec I know that tanks well from a healers point of view :-P

Toughy

#15 » Post by Toughy » 15 Dec 2010 11:47

Stryke wrote: They also struggle when the dps looks at their dps-meters instead of what they attack. This goes out to all dpsers who wander here: ATTACK THE TANK'S TARGET. I've had enough people nearly dying because they just attack the 1st mob they see. :evil:
If you want your DPSes to attack your target than you make sure you mark the target with a skull before you start the fight. Way before you start the fight, as soon as you see it !

You may want to assign a key like Ctrl+A to it from the Interface, Keyboard settings pane