DK tanking.

Cover25

Re: DK tanking.

#16 » Post by Cover25 » 01 Aug 2011 15:12

claptrap wrote:
Cover25 wrote:Lol. First off With Mutiple Mobs the Warrior should be spamming Cleave. Thats a pretty damn good way to gain aggro, and even If somehow he Loses aggro on a mob, Boom just taunt it back. Do DKs have a skill that Gives 8% of the aggro generated by ANY played in the group That he places the mark on? NOPE. Prefect for High DPSers. Secondly, Warriors Def Stance Increases all threat by 10% and Decreases all damage dealt by 5%.

And about the DPS thing, If you read After i do Misdirection Theres Not much i can do when it wears off now can I. If i need to stop attacking because a tank cant hold aggro then its going to hurt the group More when DPS need to stop attacking. Also HStrike is Not on the GCD meaning it can be macroed into every attack, Where have you been since the Burning Crusade?

EDIT: Warriors have last stand that gives us 30% of our Max HP back. Your turn Good sir.

EDIT2: They have enraged Regen, so we can self heal when needed.

What hurts the group more? You slowing down your dps for a few seconds, or you pulling a mob, dying/feign death, in which case the aggro goes right to the healer which will wipe the group?

And yes, you can macro heroic strike to every attack... if you want to rage starve yourself. Only time a warrior could do that is trash groups... and who cares about those?

Vampiric blood only increases a Dk's health by 15%, but we also get a 35% boost to the healing we
take. Personally, I'd rather be taking big heals.

Frost Presence increases threat as well, increases our stamina by 8% our armor by 60% (thereby giving us the same armor value as a shield bearing warrior) and reduces damage taken by 8%. So you still think defensive stance is that great? If I go frost tank I can gain a further 2% to damage reduction.

You count enraged regen as self healing? A Blood DK gets death strike, rune tap, and mark of blood and Blood worms to heal ourselves. A frost DK can spam the crap out of death strike if needed. Enraged regen doesn't stand up to DK healing.

Cleave and thunderclap don't hold a candle to DnD and blood boil/howling blast. Cleave hits 3 targets is glyphed? DnD and BB/HB hit EVERYTHING.

And I don't need an ability that re-directs threat because I generate so much that I never need to care. People who pull off of me are usually attacking the wrong target or have massively better gear than me.
No it doesnt Feign death drops your aggro the second highest aggro Takes the mob.

Lol Rage starve? You must know nothing about warriors at endgame, you NEED HS when tanking. Please learn something about warrior tanks Before trashing them.

claptrap

#17 » Post by claptrap » 01 Aug 2011 15:59

Cover25 wrote: No it doesnt Feign death drops your aggro the second highest aggro Takes the mob.

Lol Rage starve? You must know nothing about warriors at endgame, you NEED HS when tanking. Please learn something about warrior tanks Before trashing them.
Ok:

1) 99% of the time, the healer takes aggro after the dps takes it from the tank because the healer sees that the dps toon has taken aggro and wants to keep that player up so the tank has a second or two to taunt the mob. They don't pay attention to what your class is, they don't have time.

And since feign death drops all of your aggro, it would make a great aggro dump dontcha think? As a raiding warlock I end up using Soul Shatter numerous times to drop my aggro and I can only do that every two minutes. With a 30 second cooldown, Feign death sounds PERFECT for just that use. So really, you have NO excuse for pulling off a tank when you can do that almost EVERY fight. Learn to control yourself.

2) You need to learn more about Heroic strike and when to use it. Since it isn't as effective as devastate or sunder, you don't gain rage on the attack you use it on, you don't want to endlessly spam it because you'll burn up your rage. Yes, you still need to use it, but you can't sit there and tell me I know nothing about end game warrior tanking when you're advocating something that will rage starve a tank warrior.

In fact, there have been entire blogs, forum posts, ect. discussing how STUPID it is to constantly spam HS and how it'll rage starve you.

Cover25

#18 » Post by Cover25 » 01 Aug 2011 20:05

HS gives alot of Threat, For what? 5? 10 Rage? (not sure on the exact amount.) You Should Work HS into EVERY attack you do (except for auto.) Why? Endgame your going to have to compete with Alot of people getting alot of aggro, Tbh iv Never seen a Warrior in my raids Rage starve him self and guess what hes Spamming? HS. Also What you just typed right there shows you know nothing about warriors. Dev gives you Sunder armor on that target, Why would you Use sunder on A target when dev Gives damage, Threat, And a De-buff? You Know nothing about warrior tanks.

claptrap

#19 » Post by claptrap » 01 Aug 2011 23:24

I mentioned sunder armor because until you get near the bottom of the tree, you don't have devastate. My point still stands, it's better to use sunder or or devastate than it is to use HS. Period.

And if you're having threat issues to the point that spamming devastate, revenge and shield bash doesn't give you enough threat then clearly you're doing something horribly horribly wrong. The best ability a warrior has for gaining threat is shield bash, not HS.

Oh and HS doesn't just cost you whatever rage is on the label, it also costs you whatever rage you would have gained on the white hit you replaced it with. So spamming it constantly will rage starve you, keeping you from using your better, more efficient abilities, which is probably why you have threat issues. HS is a threat dump, a filler ability to keep you busy instead of sitting there like a goon. Seriously, look up a guide.

Here, this will help. And btw, at about 5:50, he goes into heroic strike and the fact that you do not spam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDIID69ZvY

Oh, and to quote out of Rhorn's own tanking guide:
Quite damn nice isn't it? HS rocks! Why use Sunder at all?! Well, first of all, Sunder is an instant attack, whereas HS is not. Second, Sunder increases the damage of your abilities and the threat you will cause on a fully sundered mob with other abilities (not to mention the rest of your party's and raid's damage). And third, which is what interests us in this paragraph: HS uses your next swing attack, so you will not be hitting with white damage, which not only gives you it's normal threat, but also adds rage by hitting, while HS only removes. So with slower weapons like Spineshatter, HS becomes less attractive as rage generation is not normalized. You will be getting more rage per white hit, and, although slower than with a white weapon. It is really going to be dependent on how much rage you have to decide whether you will be using HS or not.

So yes, DPS does in fact matter while tanking, but threat producing abilities are needed to hold aggro, and produce a higher amount of threat (although not all that much). This bit of knowledge will help you throughout the rest of your tanking career, every 1.9, 2.0, 2.3, 2.6 seconds or whatever your tanking weapon speed is. HS will sometimes be good to use, and other times it'll be best to save it so you can obtain more rage per hit. The only exception is when you have unlimited rage, and there is only one fight in this game that has that description, Vaelestrasz the Corrupt in Blackwing Lair.
So again: You do NOT mindlessly spam HS.

narcissa

#20 » Post by narcissa » 03 Aug 2011 01:06

I'd really like to see a tank warrior lacking rage even while spamming hs.

Tuffeyy

#21 » Post by Tuffeyy » 08 Aug 2011 13:20

Its a good thing people are talking about Deathknights and not Warriors in the "DK Tanking" thread.

claptrap

#22 » Post by claptrap » 08 Aug 2011 22:39

It's relevant considering how many people tell us Dk's that we suck at tanking and that other classes are better at it, when they themselves have false knowledge of other said classes and DK's.

Especially on this server I've noticed.

I'm going to put up a DK tanking guide at some point because I've run into many, MANY DK tanks who have no idea what they are doing. It'll be in the DK section when I get a chance. It'll include gear, specs, ability priorities, why you should be doing what you're doing and where I got the info from.

Hopefully that will help get some better DK tanks out there and get rid of some misconceptions others have of the class.

Locus

#23 » Post by Locus » 09 Aug 2011 03:04

This thread is an anthology of wrong things about tanks. Especially the one that said warriors are better because they have more avoidance. All this is laughable and noobish.
DKs along with Prot pallies are the best icc tank classes that can be. And oh surprise the best dk tank spec for icc is blood. I agree warriors, etc can be better at getting aggro on 5 mans but...who cares about 5 mans anyway? I have done it many times with plate dps tanking them. Sigh.

By the way, the gem slots are for STAMINA and CAPS (hit, expertise) if needed. No stupid defense gems.

claptrap

#24 » Post by claptrap » 09 Aug 2011 17:04

A Frost tank guide is up, I'll do blood when I get around to it. It's in the DK section.

Zaplack

#25 » Post by Zaplack » 26 Aug 2011 19:02

i dont like dk tanks at all. accually i dont like dkz at all. whenever im tankin some dk just has to come up and use those hand thingies and take all the aggroo i had built up...

Dr. Who

#26 » Post by Dr. Who » 12 Nov 2011 17:52

i'm working on my DK to be tank (frost).
on main boss i can keep agro very fine even with big dps. 8-)
my only and big problem is on trash,its realy hard to me keep the agro on many mobs,if dps are low i keep agro fine but with big dps i lose the agro of the mobs easy. :?
You did a bad think? Does it affect me? No? Them Suffer in Silence.
You Crying now? You have no reason to cry, if some one cries is because they are sad.
For example,i cry because people are stupid what makes me sad.
And i'm not insane, my Mother had me tested.
by: "The Big Bang Theory -Sheldon Cooper"

Locus

#27 » Post by Locus » 16 Nov 2011 20:11

Frost has a lot of aoe for group aggro. It's not that hard. Anyway, too many dk tanks are frost :S idk why.
i dont like dk tanks at all. accually i dont like dkz at all. whenever im tankin some dk just has to come up and use those hand thingies and take all the aggroo i had built up...
I won't begin to describe whats wrong with this sentence....

Cover25

#28 » Post by Cover25 » 16 Nov 2011 20:40

I wonder how well unholy Tanking would be.... Can anyone here tell me the Pros and cons of Unholy tanking?

Locus

#29 » Post by Locus » 16 Nov 2011 21:09

Uses 2handed weapons - doesn't have as many tank talents as blood or frost - good magic resistance (anti-magic shell and zone). That's basically it: it's good for tanking bosses who do a lot of magic damage, but on other aspects they are worse than blood or frost.

Dr. Who

#30 » Post by Dr. Who » 16 Nov 2011 21:50

i think unholy is good only for tank the trash cuz of the big agro he does with the aoe demage.
blood is good for tank the big bosses but have hard job to keep agro on many mobs.
frost is good cuz have a litle of both (unholy and blood) do good aoe damage for tank trash and have good def skills to tank big bosses.
You did a bad think? Does it affect me? No? Them Suffer in Silence.
You Crying now? You have no reason to cry, if some one cries is because they are sad.
For example,i cry because people are stupid what makes me sad.
And i'm not insane, my Mother had me tested.
by: "The Big Bang Theory -Sheldon Cooper"