What classes what spec (end-game)

Discuss your favourite class.
ultram4ntis

What classes what spec (end-game)

#1 » Post by ultram4ntis » 25 Sep 2015 21:51

With talent points being capped, obviously some class/spec combos can't get important spec points. Can someone please tell me what class specs are actually viable end-game atm (for example pallys seem to generally have to spec holy at present)

Cleofatra

Re: What classes what spec (end-game)

#2 » Post by Cleofatra » 25 Sep 2015 22:12

This is the list to my knowledge.

Not 'viable' (gear itemization isn't there or missing crucial talents)
Paladin - Protection
Shaman - Elemental (could be wrong, have yet to see geared one perform)

Marginally viable (mediocre dps and/or offer buff to raid)
Shaman - Enhancement
Paladin - Retribution
Hunter - Survival
Druid - Feral

ultram4ntis

#3 » Post by ultram4ntis » 25 Sep 2015 22:26

So the rest of the specs are viable then, apart from the ones you have listed. Or is this just from your personal usage?

Cleofatra

#4 » Post by Cleofatra » 25 Sep 2015 22:47

Not from personal usage but from what others guilds bring to raids and what I've seen during Maple Syrup raids.

I'd be happy to try and answer a more tailored question for a specific class+spec!

ultram4ntis

#5 » Post by ultram4ntis » 25 Sep 2015 22:50

Ahh ok thanks so for example, as you didn't mention the priest at any point am I correct in assuming that all 3 specs are viable in the realms current state, or is it a case of you only provided info for the hybrid classes due to different roles?

Cleofatra

#6 » Post by Cleofatra » 25 Sep 2015 23:01

Shadow and Holy are definitely viable. Discipline lacks mana sustainability I think. But a caster will most likely offer you... services.... for a Power Infusion ;). I know a priest in our guild goes Disc for BGs but is Holy for raids.

So, do-able? Yea.
Best heal spec? Probably not.

.kurthos

#7 » Post by .kurthos » 01 Oct 2015 17:32

Cleofatra wrote:This is the list to my knowledge.

Not 'viable' (gear itemization isn't there or missing crucial talents)
Paladin - Protection
Shaman - Elemental (could be wrong, have yet to see geared one perform)

Marginally viable (mediocre dps and/or offer buff to raid)
Shaman - Enhancement
Paladin - Retribution
Hunter - Survival
Druid - Feral

We have had success with Elemental and Protection paladins.

Feral druids are very viable for tanking. I think ferals will struggle with dps, but they share a raid spot with retribution paladins.

Survival hunters are very fight specific, but can be strong if they can lay traps. I personally see them putting up better numbers with more gear.

I feel that enhance shaman are in a very bad place similar to ret paladins, mostly buff bots. Ret paladins can play as healing hybrid type specs successfully.

leamas03

#9 » Post by leamas03 » 02 Oct 2015 11:00

DPSing

I personally can't recommend Shadow Priests for PvE. PvP they're awesome, PvE they're consistently lower DPS than Warlocks, Rogues, Warriors and Hunters. If it's an AoE fight Boomkins and Mages overpower them. They don't offer enough raid utility (depending on how you value +healing to party).

Warlocks and Hunters are at the top of the Ranged DPS race. Both have solid AoE and single target damage as well as raid utility. The warriors I've seen are absolutely bonkers for DPS, and rogues are almost always relevant (unless they don't have uptime). That said, it's tough being a melee, lots of competition.

I haven't seen mages do too well except on AoE intense fights. They do a good job in Sons phase for Rag, they do an excellent job on Ony whelps, and there's a handful of encounters where they shine in ZG. 1-3 target fight and they'll be bottom (below shadow priests). So, it's situational.

Boomkings are viable so far. Their single target dps can be very high, there cleave is strong, their AoE is bonkers (and generates mana), and they bring a massive amount of raid utility (+spell crit, cbrez, innervate). I can't think of a reason not to bring at least one boomkin to raid, and they beat mages all around (AoE,Single Target, Cleave).

Enhancement shammies are pretty niche. I haven't seen any of ours keep up with rogues or warriors.

Elemental shammies don't exist. It'd be nice to see one step up and break the meta. Baby steps for now, I suppose.

Ret pallies are buffing pallies.

Feral druids are relevant for much the same reason as Boomkins, with the exception that they lack all AoE capability. Still, melee crit buff is really nice.

Tanking

So far all three of the tank classes seem to perform well.

Warriors are the bread and butter of raiding. There's really not much that's important to say here.

Druids have a lot of things going for them, namely higher base stats and a respectable amount of defensive cd's. Also, crit matters.

Prot Pallies are, again, fairly niche. We're seeing some general interest from a few people trying it out and I'm excited to see what they can do. There's a solid chance they'll be able to perform well into AQ40 given the motivation, skill, and ability to ignore the haters.

Healing

Druids (so far) are kings! Strong HoT's, great mana efficiency (very important), and massive raid cooldowns make this class an easy decision.

Priests aren't too far behind them. They behave about as you might imagine, shields, heals and some amount of dispelling keeps them begging for innervates. Still, they perform.

Shamans are great. Mana tide totem, reincarnation, Chain Heal, Mana tide totem, Inspiration, Mana tide totem. Need I say more?

I have no idea how viable holy pallies are or are not. Excuse my ignorance.
- Jingitaxias 60 Class Leader <Murmur> -