How does the classes work?

Discuss your favourite class.
Barsky

How does the classes work?

#1 » Post by Barsky » 24 May 2015 23:14

Hello! Small question here: Since this server runs on 3.3.5, will the classes behave like they did there?

For example, paladin and druid tanking was utterly rubbish in Vanilla - but that got a lot better in TBC and later Wotlk. Would it be viable to run a paladin tank here on Primal? Would it be like playing Wotlk but locking experience gain once you got to 60 or something like that?

I couldn't find any info anywhere regarding the changes to the classes (except lower part of talents locked) so I'm just asking :). It would heavily impact my choice of class! Thanks.

Roel
Founder

Re: How does the classes work?

#2 » Post by Roel » 24 May 2015 23:36

Hello!

All the mechanics of abilities are like WotLK so it indeed would be like locking the experience at level 60. However some classes won't be as viable with the lower talents disabled, and some abilities can't yet be learned at level 60, for example no divine plea for paladins. So viability of certain specs will be a mix of how it was in Vanilla and how it was in WotLK.

At the moment we really don't know how viable certain specs will be, it's just guessing because we're the first server to use such methods. The first players are hitting level 60 and they are starting to do some endgame dungeons. Blondie is the only level 60 paladin at the moment and it looks like he is specced in prot, I would suggest asking him how things are going.

Barsky

#3 » Post by Barsky » 24 May 2015 23:39

Cheers for the quick replies! It answers my question perfectly :)

.landgin

#4 » Post by .landgin » 26 Jun 2015 18:57

Prime wrote:Hello!

All the mechanics of abilities are like WotLK so it indeed would be like locking the experience at level 60. However some classes won't be as viable with the lower talents disabled, and some abilities can't yet be learned at level 60, for example no divine plea for paladins. So viability of certain specs will be a mix of how it was in Vanilla and how it was in WotLK.

At the moment we really don't know how viable certain specs will be, it's just guessing because we're the first server to use such methods. The first players are hitting level 60 and they are starting to do some endgame dungeons. Blondie is the only level 60 paladin at the moment and it looks like he is specced in prot, I would suggest asking him how things are going.

I do have a question, are there plans to open other 30+ points? warlocks gimped into one spec without them.

Roel
Founder

#5 » Post by Roel » 26 Jun 2015 19:02

No, this is the closest we're going to get to Vanilla.

.Felix

#6 » Post by .Felix » 01 Jul 2015 04:49

I think Paladin tanking should work fine - especially for Trash and AoE heavy encounters - with Wrath's version of Seal of Command and Blessing of Sanctuary providing much needed mana - also they get a ranged taunt nice & early, the bane of the Pre-Wrath Pally!
Not sure about ret - without access to Divine storm they may be a little bit hamstrung, but they'll still be about a million times more viable than proper vanilla...
Interestingly without Divine Plea - I'm not sure how the one viable Vanilla spec would actually do here! :p

.sunny

#7 » Post by .sunny » 24 Jul 2015 16:51

I haven't reached max level yet to really test it out, but I played a healadin from vanilla-Wotlk and was hoping to relive the experience again. However i'm noticing one big potential problem. Healadin's mana regen worked differently than other casters back then. They dont receive any benefit from spirit til Cata(reason i quit healadin btw). So they rely solely on critting with their heals for regen and whatever mp5 they can get their hands on. As the expansions progressed in vanilla the Illumination talent gave you back 100% of the mana cost of the spell that crit. In BC it was lowered to 60% and in WotLK it is as it is in the game now at 30%. I feel i'm going to have a major problem at max level with all that missing mana return. Especially when mp5 gear was virtually nonexistent in vanilla content. I'm playing as often as i can and if i can still make it work I will. I just feel this was a subtle mistep in the design that should be addressed somehow.