Second start or new server

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
Protective

Second start or new server

#1 » Post by Protective » 20 May 2013 10:38

Hi everyone,

I put this in off-topic because I'm only asking for opinions right now.
What would you think about having a completely new server that starts at 3.0.1 or something like that, or having a cata server?

I'll put my opinion in here aswell:

Basically I believe that many players get the feeling of exhaustion currently as they're raiding the same thing over and over. Even though raids like Ulduar and battlegrounds like Wintergrasp aren't fully fixed yet, the gear is already maxing out the difficulty of those events.

If I would see a 3.0.1 server that would progress slowly to 3.3.5a again I'd surely be playing it.

What do you guys think? (Please no criticism, this isn't a suggestion, just a question)

Dr. Who

Re: Second start or new server

#2 » Post by Dr. Who » 20 May 2013 13:20

i'm to lazy to start all over again.
and start a new server when we are low population on this one is crazy dont you think?
to play Cata i would prefer go to other server that have more population to dont steal the ppl from this one.

btw there are topics about Cata sugestions and about the server restart allready on forum, why open new one?
here the link:Restart of Woltk

about Cata i will not lose time giving the link cuz there are like 3 or 4 topics about it, you can find them easy.
You did a bad think? Does it affect me? No? Them Suffer in Silence.
You Crying now? You have no reason to cry, if some one cries is because they are sad.
For example,i cry because people are stupid what makes me sad.
And i'm not insane, my Mother had me tested.
by: "The Big Bang Theory -Sheldon Cooper"

Protective

#3 » Post by Protective » 20 May 2013 14:21

Well, the low population thing shouldn't be a problem really. I mean, if we're already low on population, what have we got to lose? There aren't coming many more players to the server, players want something different and that's why Blizzard keeps renewing every time (even though their expansions did fail a little).

About the leveling. I don't think it will be that boring considering many players will be with you right from the start. There will be many groups and a real blizzlike experience in leveling.

I competely agree with you on the cataclysm thing yeah. It's better to join an other server for that.

Didn't notice the Restart of WotLK thread by the way. But what is stated there is that the server will be restarted. I don't want a restart, not at all. Progress on one server shouldn't be lost at the cost of a second server, no. What I am hoping for is that people will notice this event and can feel the blizzlike experience of leveling and progression all-together.

I do think TrueWoW would be the best candidate to launch such a server. What I'm missing is the blizzlike experience now on TrueWoW. I've been on the server for about 2,5 years, but all that still has to come is Ruby Sanctrum (Only progression left, but I don't think that'll be very difficult with T10.5), Ulduar and Wintergrasp.

I'd like to see some more opinions on this if that's possible.

Intervention
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Intervention » 20 May 2013 14:23

It would be an interesting concept and a difficult one at that.

I mean, if you were to for example, make a 3.0.1 server then it's all good and dandy for the start, but when would you expand to the next patch? You'd need to figure out a way to expose players to download the new patch. Blizzard auto updates when you launch, but yours will not. These are just some of the technical issues you would have to deal with.

Additionally, when you do 'upgrade' to the next patch, would you not have to advertise all over again? I may love the idea but i find your server 2 years after you begin and you're already almost on 3.3.5a so here i am, stuck at the same place, 3.3.5a, a server patch i just left behind.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Protective

#5 » Post by Protective » 20 May 2013 17:07

You're right. It does have some techincal issues. I did hear about a launcher made by servers for a particular server only. I'm not sure if something like that would work for a project like this.

To come to the 3.3.5a part. Yes, probably in 2 years it will be quite the same, but I believe that the experience of our players will be great. We're looking for a blizzlike experience and I think nothing can be more blizzlike than this event.

Now, in the end, we will indeed have two 3.3.5a servers. That is indeed something which is excessive, I agree with you on that.

What we do get from this is a very detailed look at the different parts Wrath of the Lich King. For example, if Naxxramas will be raided more, we will notice that not everything works perfectly. We can find solutions for that and add them to the original server aswell.

Arvit

#6 » Post by Arvit » 20 May 2013 19:11

Last edited by Arvit on 23 Jun 2017 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

prodigy
Developer

#7 » Post by prodigy » 20 May 2013 20:00

Keep in mind that launching a new patch means a new game client.3.0.1 clients are almost impossible to find.At most i could do some vodoo magic with a 4.3.4 patch.But again this means you need a 4.3.4 client and i sure that 90% os the ones who want to try this,will screw up their 3.3.5 game clients.

Again,i can open up a non very scripted 4.3.4 (cataclism) realm but it would be mostly for gags imo.

Etro
Honorary Member

#8 » Post by Etro » 21 May 2013 08:12

I'm already getting exhausted of WoTLK, and probably of the whole WoW concept. At this point nothing and no one is special anymore. Achievements have become just an other thing that you "have" to do, for those who care. The WoW gameplay rotation in here goes something like this:
Level up to 80 > Go insane with random Heroics > Go VoA - Go ToC > Go ICC > Make/trade a new character when you're bored
Or
Level up to 80 > Go insane with random Heroics and dailies > Go VoA - Go insane with BGs and/or Arenas > Make/trade a new character when you're bored
The server has become so 80-centric that the rest is suffering a great deal, mostly in economics, and well, obviously the content.

Items that were introduced in older patches are ridiculously more expensive than the newest ones. People have the luxury to sell them insanely high knowing that almost no one, or literally no one else, is selling them.

The interest in old dungeon is gone. Only the achievement seekers revive them every not so often for then to be forgoten again.

All of that is understandable when the pinnacle of a MMO game is where everyone else is. The desire to be the top in everything thrives everyone in the same direction, the end-game. There are very few people who twink compared to the rest, but those few are exclusive to PvP. But that's not the problem, every MMO goes through that. The problem is that it has lasted way too long.

A "reset" would solve the economic issue temporarily, for a very little while until the 80s start to reborn and take control again. We all know that most people wouldn't bother with Molten Core, TK, BT, AQ while leveling. They'd be like "F that, i'm going 80 now".

Of course, all of this is an entire "IMO".
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Sanity

#9 » Post by Sanity » 21 May 2013 10:16

prodigy wrote:Keep in mind that launching a new patch means a new game client.3.0.1 clients are almost impossible to find.At most i could do some vodoo magic with a 4.3.4 patch.But again this means you need a 4.3.4 client and i sure that 90% os the ones who want to try this,will screw up their 3.3.5 game clients.

Again,i can open up a non very scripted 4.3.4 (cataclism) realm but it would be mostly for gags imo.
Don't think it really has to be that difficult, to be honest. What does playing on patch 3.0 mean? To me, it means nothing more than having access to only Naxxramas, OS and EoE, with all others being locked, etc.

Dr. Who

#10 » Post by Dr. Who » 21 May 2013 17:54

about get a Cata fun server i may agree to get more outside people.
i mean they come for the Cata server but then they see we have an WOTLK blizzlike and may wana try join the main server.
but that would bring more cost's because will make us have 1 more host or will make us change to a bigger one to dont talk about the work for the developers, i think it doest wort it.

about reset the server or start a new one but with lower client that is crazy.
well if you wana do that why start from 3.0.1?
if is to restart then start from the begining (clasic WoW) because start from 3.0.1 it doest change mutch like @Sanity said above.
1 more thing if server restart for more that i like this server and the people in it i would prever go to one more populated server and not join this one again, is common sense.

and btw i dont think people will join in, people look for the new not for the old. even WOTLK is geting old now. :geek: lol
i only play it cuz i dont have money to buy a new PC where i can play Cata. hehehe :twisted:

in resume this idea is BAD idea. if you think about it you will get the same conclusion.
You did a bad think? Does it affect me? No? Them Suffer in Silence.
You Crying now? You have no reason to cry, if some one cries is because they are sad.
For example,i cry because people are stupid what makes me sad.
And i'm not insane, my Mother had me tested.
by: "The Big Bang Theory -Sheldon Cooper"

Protective

#11 » Post by Protective » 22 May 2013 08:35

All-right, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter :)