Is our universe the only universe?

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
Foohy

Re: Is our universe the only universe?

#16 » Post by Foohy » 12 Nov 2012 16:52

And so a thread that was supposed to be interesting became a trollfest.

Darchrow
Donor

#17 » Post by Darchrow » 12 Nov 2012 17:00

you can post it on " count to a million " so it becomes more interesting and everyone joins it
teh char list ( 80s ) :
Jynx / Zubat / Alyce ( Swagmourne ) / Discord / Redtube
Disruption / Perplexity / Magejkdruid / Swagstormxqt ( Swagmobile )
Vinegar ~ Lvl 51 Rogue

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

[Guild] [Angrycow]: nice to meet u im Sava and im really horny person

kindzadza ily

Intervention
Former Staff

#18 » Post by Intervention » 12 Nov 2012 23:13

I wasn't trolling I simply made a cunning joke.

Seriously though, I do believe there is something else out there. Surely there is... Questions is what? Who? When will we make contact?
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Etro
Honorary Member

#19 » Post by Etro » 13 Nov 2012 05:24

The subject is not about if there's life out there or if there's not. Very basically it is about the incredible added inmensity of the existance that the string theory suggests. You thought we were a needle in a haystack? Think more like we are the Whos!
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

ribbaribbahey

#20 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 14 Nov 2012 00:29

Intervention wrote:When will we make contact?
With the current speeds we are able to reach (the record is detained by the probe approaching to Pluto: 21Km/s), reaching the nearest galaxy (Canis Major dwarf: 25'000 light-years) would take approximately 357'000'000 years.That would be a boring conversation...
Another thing is reaching the nearest galactic arm :the Perseus Arm it's "only" 6'500 ligh-years far. That trip would just take 93'000'000 years. If we don't have close neighbours on our galactic arm, we'd need a lot faster probes to catch anyone out there because there is only a galactic "habitable zone"...that's a good distance where the galaxy concentrates the heavy matter that can built worlds similar to ours. Keep in mind that the sun will wipe the Earth in 1'400'000'000 years (=1.4 billion years), and then will explode in 5' billion years from now. Also the Andromeda galaxy and our Milky Way will collide in 4 billion years from now.

Ribbaz - 2300 2v2 Enhancement
Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire
Cazzuto - Arms PvE / 1950 2v2
Dextr - Blood Dps PvE / Frost "priority list" Dps PvE
Ribba - Beast Mastery PvP / Survival PvE

My Enhancement PvP guide

ribbaribbahey

#21 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 14 Nov 2012 00:37

What i find amazing is that humanity will have to migrate with spaceships and stuff to survive: shit will get real!

Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire

My Enhancement PvP guide

Intervention
Former Staff

#22 » Post by Intervention » 14 Nov 2012 03:57

And if they get to us first?

Plus all the above may be 'fact' right now but really it's all hypotheses seems we have nothing else to really go on right now.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

ribbaribbahey

#23 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 14 Nov 2012 22:36

The nearest life supporting planet would take 300'000 years to get by. My calculations are made with a probe that isn't meant to keep accelerating but to be the smaller and the lighter possible, so it can proceed with its journey with no drag at constant speed. Many years ago many ppl has thought to many kind of spaceships yet, but the main problem is finding a collectable energy source in open space, because today for each kilogram of payload you want to send into orbit you have to use 100 kilograms of fuel. :o A good solution is the antimatter, but it's very dangerous: with just 0.0001 grams (0.1 milligrams) of antimatter you can release the energy that hurricanes produce in one second! :shock:

About them reaching us first, someone correctly pointed out that there's a big chance that it won't end that differently from the encounter of Spanish and Native-Americans...but i'm still optimistic :D

Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire

My Enhancement PvP guide

Flexall
Donor

#24 » Post by Flexall » 15 Nov 2012 01:35

I've heard of people actually talking about using blackholes to explore more of the universe. Theoretical physicists, that is. I can see the full benefits of exploring blackholes.
Ever get stuck not knowing how to play free WoW? Well have no fear, just go here and download the game completely free (it's safe, even I use it). Once you do so, you will need to change your realmlist. You can do this by opening the WoW directory and navigating to (Data>EnUs>) open up realmlist.wtf with notepad and change it to

Code: Select all

Set Realmlist login.truewow.org
Congratulations!
Now you can run WoW.exe and login with your account name and password on our server

On a side-note, if you are having issues accessing TPB you can use an alternate proxie in this list.

Darchrow
Donor

#25 » Post by Darchrow » 15 Nov 2012 01:39

exploring black holes you say ? :P
teh char list ( 80s ) :
Jynx / Zubat / Alyce ( Swagmourne ) / Discord / Redtube
Disruption / Perplexity / Magejkdruid / Swagstormxqt ( Swagmobile )
Vinegar ~ Lvl 51 Rogue

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

[Guild] [Angrycow]: nice to meet u im Sava and im really horny person

kindzadza ily

uknowme

#26 » Post by uknowme » 15 Nov 2012 05:29

cool its 1980s up in here.
ofc were not the only life in the universe ofc were not the only universe its been a scientific theory since we first started to examine the stars. and ofc its hard to tell which of the scientist is right since half of them come up with such bull shit theory's they cant be disproved. Then some of them go on to say if it cant be disproved then it must be right, which is fail logic. There are many theory's. One being were just in one dimension that is stacked on top of others. and the each other dimension is right there in front of use but we can not see it because our brain want allow it because we simply lack the since to interact with it. Also one other theory is all the universes are on a plane such as a sheet of paper and at one point in time they touched at a point. as if you were to hold 2 sheets of note book paper along vertically and force then to touch in the center. This is one of the theory s the explains how the big bang happened. Its said that it happens more then once and it has already happened hundreds of times. or universe sits between those 2 planes and after or universe expands to a point beyond stability it collapses in on its self causing the 2 planes to touch again there for causing another big bang. Its said to happen every trillion trillion years but that's just another of many theory's.
But don't ever just watch one video or hear one simple theory and accept everything about it if you really are interested in it you would learn all there is 2 know about it that is just one 21 min video. There is hundreds of years of information on this topic and is impossible to sum up into a simple 21 minute video. i suggest if you really want something to watch watch the Through the wormhole with Morgan freeman. this guy in your video is simply restating everything that has already been said 100 times in many other videos. Also if that strikes your fancy then you can also watch Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking.

Also Flexal you cant use a Blackhole to explore the universe a black hole is simple a small point if infinite mass. Its is a common theory that it is a wormhole but seeing how noting can escape a black hole and once you reach the event horizon anything and everything is torn apart at the molecular level. its even said that things passing the even horizon breaks the speed of light. There is a theory of wormholes that span across the universe but there smaller then atoms and we would need to learn how to expand them. this was discovered when Stephen hawking notice that protons appear and disappear out of noting. So he said there was parallel universes tied together form these micro wormholes that the proton travel trough. Also it is possible to travel faster then the speed of light if you can find a way to fold time and space. The way to explain this is to take a piece of cloth and make ripples in it like waves. then take a sewing needle and run the needle straight trough the ripples the sewing needle represents you. But this comes into effect because as light has to travel up and down every ripple you can simply pass trough the ripples using the wormholes. But scientist have yet to figured out how to apply this method beyond theory's.
Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2012 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sinnerly

#27 » Post by Sinnerly » 15 Nov 2012 05:51

i won't bother reading i thought there is a fight going on xD
Sinnerly - level 66 rogue (first char ever idk shit about rogues)
Sinnerx - level 80 warrior prot / fury
Maurelius - level 80 DK frost / unholy

ribbaribbahey

#28 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 15 Nov 2012 12:01

Sinnerly wrote:i won't bother reading i thought there is a fight going on xD
Not at all, read it, it's really worth it. Youknowme should add some punctuation because it's a bit hard to read that if you don't know exactly what we're talking about.
uknowme wrote:if it cant be disproved then it must be right, which is fail logic
The only thing that i disapprove. Today no theory can be approved without an experiment: the 1st step is predicting an effect with the only use of your new theory, the 2nd step is to prove it's how u predicted with the experiment. Many people use the logic you talk about but noone heeds them (apart journalists, they spread everything that they find catchy without knowing if it's bullshit or not). About the rest i'm very glad that someone is well informed :D
Flexall wrote:I've heard of people actually talking about using blackholes to explore more of the universe. Theoretical physicists, that is. I can see the full benefits of exploring blackholes.
There's a spheric shell of space outside every black hole called "event horizon". That's the frontier where only the light isn't doomed to fall into the singularity, more precisely on that border the light is condemned to keep spinning around the black hole until the singularity collects more mass and increases its gravity. I think everyone here knows who felix baumgartner is and what he has done. When he jumped, he felt less gravity force than we experience on the surface of the Earth because he was a farer from it than us. With that logic, everything approaching to a black hole is submitted to a such intense gravity force that at one point the difference of gravity between your feet and your head will be so intense that would be like being pulled by a truck having your shoulders kept still. The resul this the fenomenon called SPAGHETTIFICATION, which dismembers everything to atoms.

Everything that has mass (your moms too) is a burden on that sheet Youknowme was talking about and they deform it: that sheet is called the "spacetime" grid, and it's the main thing why Einstein is so popular.You hear of wormholes because the black holes are tought to be so massive to create an "infinite" stretch on the sheet (like sticking your finger in a jelly,the sheet would be the jelly's surface). That sheet can't break so it's belived to latch on with another stretch of another blackhole, creating this way a passage. Too bad nothing exits from a black hole, so even if we would find out how to enter in one without getting thorn apart, we would still find out how to exit from the arrival black hole ^_^

Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire

My Enhancement PvP guide

Myaoming
Former Staff

#29 » Post by Myaoming » 15 Nov 2012 13:00

I love this topic :D
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

ribbaribbahey

#30 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 15 Nov 2012 13:10

WHOOT Slar are u a Mod?
Now i have to taunt you...nothing personal i just don't like autorities...

Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire

My Enhancement PvP guide