Off Topic

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
Kelor

Re: Off Topic

#931 » Post by Kelor » 24 Mar 2013 14:37

Bluebell wrote:I'd quit too if Diablos had access to my account.
I'd quit if Diablos DIDN'T have access to my account
The Fresh Prince of TrueWoW

I don't care if you got the best gear in the game
Don't you want rewards from The Burning Crusade?
LEARN TO PLAY!

Kelor Level 80 Undead Warrior (Retired)
Kelly Level 80 Blood Elf Rogue
Frieza Level ?? Galactic Overlord
Quarashi Leveling Blood Elf Palydan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-139teZQw

Best Quote Evar:
Seneschalla wrote:Kelor! XD You're still the syrup to my waffles. Always have been, always will be :P

Hero_kris

#932 » Post by Hero_kris » 24 Mar 2013 18:39

- I read that Dar , quitting is different from just a break - he might have forgotten to change the text here , that is why I am asking. But I guess that is what he meant.
This is a block of text that is added to all your posts. - You can find it in ''Inbox>Profile>Edit signature'' and write the thing you want to be added to your posts. - I wrote this so people who dont know how to set this can see.

Hero_kris

#933 » Post by Hero_kris » 29 Mar 2013 18:21

Guys what do you think of the so called ''shadow people'' ?
This is a block of text that is added to all your posts. - You can find it in ''Inbox>Profile>Edit signature'' and write the thing you want to be added to your posts. - I wrote this so people who dont know how to set this can see.

Nexxus

#934 » Post by Nexxus » 29 Mar 2013 18:37

I think they smoke weed too much >.>

Hero_kris

#935 » Post by Hero_kris » 30 Mar 2013 13:06

No, seriously XD ?
And Nex is your added text true ?

Nexxus

#936 » Post by Nexxus » 30 Mar 2013 13:35

You mean signature? Yes lol ;s

Mithrandir

#937 » Post by Mithrandir » 31 Mar 2013 05:04

Bros im fucking drunk goodnight mens.

Ps darchrow is a nooooooooooob. dunno why i had to say that. probable reason can be found above

Etro
Honorary Member

#938 » Post by Etro » 31 Mar 2013 07:33

Hero_kris wrote:Guys what do you think of the so called ''shadow people'' ?
I had a sleep paralysis once and i saw the silhouette of a man sitting on my chest, making it difficult for me to breath. I couldn't move and i was freaking out so badly. After that i was scared to go to sleep for like a week.

I also saw the silhouette of 3 men when i was a kid. I was like 5 or something. I woke up very late at night and i saw this 3 silhouettes in front of my bed. I was starting to get scared, so i went a little closer to those shapes to make sure it wasn't the shadow of something else, i even rubbed my eyes and i could still see them. So i got so scared i couldn't even scream, i just hid under the sheets until i fell asleep.

There's a scientific theory of what i saw when i had the sleep paralysis, but none for what i saw when i was a kid. I don't really know what to think about that, other than it is true terror to experience it.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Hero_kris

#939 » Post by Hero_kris » 31 Mar 2013 08:53

Nexxus wrote:You mean signature? Yes lol ;s
- WHY why would you :{ ?
Etro wrote:
Hero_kris wrote:Guys what do you think of the so called ''shadow people'' ?
I had a sleep paralysis once and i saw the silhouette of a man sitting on my chest, making it difficult for me to breath. I couldn't move and i was freaking out so badly. After that i was scared to go to sleep for like a week.

I also saw the silhouette of 3 men when i was a kid. I was like 5 or something. I woke up very late at night and i saw this 3 silhouettes in front of my bed. I was starting to get scared, so i went a little closer to those shapes to make sure it wasn't the shadow of something else, i even rubbed my eyes and i could still see them. So i got so scared i couldn't even scream, i just hid under the sheets until i fell asleep.

There's a scientific theory of what i saw when i had the sleep paralysis, but none for what i saw when i was a kid. I don't really know what to think about that, other than it is true terror to experience it.
- Etro I had a similar thing. By the way here is a nice video about it :

[youtube]JFrGeERum_g[/youtube]

- If you have time watch it , it is interesting. And would you share what you think of it and them ? I mean not only that it isnt pleasant but if it has some kind of meaning ?

Etro
Honorary Member

#940 » Post by Etro » 31 Mar 2013 18:07

I can't empathize with the guy of that video, what he talks about doesn't seem sleep paralysis, truly. I'd say he only had lucid bad dreams. My sleep paralysis didn't have any extra concept, like the skulls he talks about, seeing himself, etc. I only was in my bed, in my room, unable to move with that silhouette on top of me.

Also, he is a very spiritual guy. He says that the encounters only happen to spiritual, mystical, etc people, and i don't consider myself one of them. I mean, i don't believe in those things but that doesn't mean i disregard them.

Besides, the hallucinations in the sleep paralysis have an explanation:
Spoiler:
Hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are symptoms commonly experienced during episodes of sleep paralysis. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for reports of alien abductions and ghostly encounters. A study by Susan Blackmore and Marcus Cox (the Blackmore-Cox study) of the University of the West of England supports the suggestion that reports of alien abductions are related to sleep paralysis rather than to temporal lobe lability. There are three main types of these hallucinations that can be linked to pathologic neurophysiology. These include the belief that there is an intruder in the room, the incubus, and vestibular motor sensations.
Many people that experience sleep paralysis are struck with a deep sense of terror, because they sense a menacing presence in the room while paralyzed—hereafter referred to as the intruder. This phenomenon is believed to be the result of a hyper vigilant state created in the midbrain. More specifically, the emergency response activates in the brain when individuals wake up paralyzed and feel vulnerable to attack. This helplessness can intensify the effects of the threat response well above the level typical to normal dreams; this could explain why hallucinations during sleep paralysis are so vivid. Normally the threat activated vigilance system is a protective mechanism the body uses to differentiate between dangerous situations and determine whether the fear response is appropriate. This threat vigilance system is evolutionarily biased to interpret ambiguous stimuli as dangerous, because "erring on the side of caution" increases survival chances. This could explain why those who experience sleep paralysis generally believe the presence they sense is evil. The amygdala is heavily involved in the threat activation response mechanism, which is implicated in both intruder and incubus SP hallucinations. The specific pathway the threat-activated vigilance system acts through is not perfectly understood. It is believed that either the thalamus receives sensory information and sends it on the amygdala, which regulates emotional experience—or that the amygdaloid complex, anterior cingulate, and the structures in the pontine tegmentum interact to create the hallucination. It is also highly possible that SP hallucinations could result from a combination of these. The anterior cingulate has an extensive array of cortical connections to other cortical area, which lets it integrate the different sensations and emotions we experience. The amygdaloid complex helps us interpret emotional experience and act appropriately. Most importantly, it helps us direct our attention to the most pertinent stimuli in a potentially dangerous situation and act appropriately. Proper amygdaloid complex function requires input from the thalamus. This creates a thalamoamygdala pathway capable of bypassing intense scrutiny of incoming stimuli, which allows for quick responses in a potentially life-threatening situation.
Typically these pathways let us quickly disregard non-threatening situations. In sleep paralysis, however, these pathways become over-excited and move into a state of hypervigilance where the mind perceives every external stimulus as a threat. The individual can create endogenous stimuli that contribute to the perceived threat. A similar process occurs in the incubus hallucination, with slight variations.
Now, there's no explanation for what i saw when i was a child. It definitely wasn't a sleep paralysis since i could move. One thing that intrigues me about that experience is that it has happened to many people, but all of them say that they only saw 1 while i saw 3. I don't know if it has a meaning, and i doubt it, but if it has, i hope i was chosen for something really exciting :twisted: hehe.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Heihachi
Developer

#941 » Post by Heihachi » 31 Mar 2013 19:01

Hero_kris wrote: - Etro I had a similar thing. By the way here is a nice video about it :

[youtube]JFrGeERum_g[/youtube]

- If you have time watch it , it is interesting. And would you share what you think of it and them ? I mean not only that it isnt pleasant but if it has some kind of meaning ?
that video wasnt that bad i watched the whole thing and i can see what he means (had a few where they feel real but i had no control over anything atleast not yet.)

Etro
Honorary Member

#942 » Post by Etro » 31 Mar 2013 20:16

Talking about it can cause a nocebo effect for those that get deeply interested in this kind of things, so don't over-think it. We don't want people to start having sleep paralysis.

Hero_kris

#943 » Post by Hero_kris » 31 Mar 2013 20:48

Etro wrote:I can't empathize with the guy of that video, what he talks about doesn't seem sleep paralysis, truly. I'd say he only had lucid bad dreams. My sleep paralysis didn't have any extra concept, like the skulls he talks about, seeing himself, etc. I only was in my bed, in my room, unable to move with that silhouette on top of me.

Also, he is a very spiritual guy. He says that the encounters only happen to spiritual, mystical, etc people, and i don't consider myself one of them. I mean, i don't believe in those things but that doesn't mean i disregard them.

Besides, the hallucinations in the sleep paralysis have an explanation:
Spoiler:
Hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are symptoms commonly experienced during episodes of sleep paralysis. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for reports of alien abductions and ghostly encounters. A study by Susan Blackmore and Marcus Cox (the Blackmore-Cox study) of the University of the West of England supports the suggestion that reports of alien abductions are related to sleep paralysis rather than to temporal lobe lability. There are three main types of these hallucinations that can be linked to pathologic neurophysiology. These include the belief that there is an intruder in the room, the incubus, and vestibular motor sensations.
Many people that experience sleep paralysis are struck with a deep sense of terror, because they sense a menacing presence in the room while paralyzed—hereafter referred to as the intruder. This phenomenon is believed to be the result of a hyper vigilant state created in the midbrain. More specifically, the emergency response activates in the brain when individuals wake up paralyzed and feel vulnerable to attack. This helplessness can intensify the effects of the threat response well above the level typical to normal dreams; this could explain why hallucinations during sleep paralysis are so vivid. Normally the threat activated vigilance system is a protective mechanism the body uses to differentiate between dangerous situations and determine whether the fear response is appropriate. This threat vigilance system is evolutionarily biased to interpret ambiguous stimuli as dangerous, because "erring on the side of caution" increases survival chances. This could explain why those who experience sleep paralysis generally believe the presence they sense is evil. The amygdala is heavily involved in the threat activation response mechanism, which is implicated in both intruder and incubus SP hallucinations. The specific pathway the threat-activated vigilance system acts through is not perfectly understood. It is believed that either the thalamus receives sensory information and sends it on the amygdala, which regulates emotional experience—or that the amygdaloid complex, anterior cingulate, and the structures in the pontine tegmentum interact to create the hallucination. It is also highly possible that SP hallucinations could result from a combination of these. The anterior cingulate has an extensive array of cortical connections to other cortical area, which lets it integrate the different sensations and emotions we experience. The amygdaloid complex helps us interpret emotional experience and act appropriately. Most importantly, it helps us direct our attention to the most pertinent stimuli in a potentially dangerous situation and act appropriately. Proper amygdaloid complex function requires input from the thalamus. This creates a thalamoamygdala pathway capable of bypassing intense scrutiny of incoming stimuli, which allows for quick responses in a potentially life-threatening situation.
Typically these pathways let us quickly disregard non-threatening situations. In sleep paralysis, however, these pathways become over-excited and move into a state of hypervigilance where the mind perceives every external stimulus as a threat. The individual can create endogenous stimuli that contribute to the perceived threat. A similar process occurs in the incubus hallucination, with slight variations.
Now, there's no explanation for what i saw when i was a child. It definitely wasn't a sleep paralysis since i could move. One thing that intrigues me about that experience is that it has happened to many people, but all of them say that they only saw 1 while i saw 3. I don't know if it has a meaning, and i doubt it, but if it has, i hope i was chosen for something really exciting :twisted: hehe.
- Etro I think you didnt fully get what he was talking about exaclty - I think he was talking about different experiences - I mean the time he saw the shadow while he was napping day time and then it slipped through the window or something (didnt vanish when he woke up ). Also I think that his thing with the skulls and etc may be different from our experiences , but I think he says it about sleep paralysis too ( I mean as a different case) .
Also I dont think he is as spiritual as you think. I mean when those things started to happen to him when he was young he wasnt spiritual at all , also I am on your opinion too about such things. Inside myself I truly want to believe that there are things beyond us , but I never put that belief above rational explanations and thought.
To be honest my eyes hurt so I didnt read the text you posted . But after the first time these things happened to me I searched the net , and as far as I remember there were quite a lot of cases like yours (and mine ) - a few shadows around the bed and etc , search if you are interested. And I think that for almost every person it is different.
Also I ll tell you about my experience if you are interested - I live with my mother in a flat , there is the corridor where the entrance to the flat is , the bathroom and two more doors - one to the dinning room (which is also my bedroom) and kitchen and the other to my parent s bedroom. I have always hated open doors so I always close them and my parents know that so they always close them too. So especially when I go to sleep I close all doors that need closing - especially that one to the corridor. When it happened it was like so : it was around 2-3 AM when (I dont know why) I opened my eyes (I was asleep) without an apparent reason - no noise , light or etc . When I opened them I saw a silhouette of a woman staring at me from the opened door. I think it was a woman because I think I saw her hair in her silhouette , also she was medium height. At first I thought it was my mother , my eyes started to go up (I looked from the bottom part) and I realised (actually not exactly ''realised") that that wasnt my mother , when my look hit the face , sudden powerful fear took over me , it was strange because when you fear something you fear something in particular right ? - I mean spiders - because they can bite you , snakes , dogs also , heights because you can fall , water because you can drown and etc. But at that moment as I said I hadnt completely ''realised'' whatever that is so where did that fear come from ? Also when you fear something the fear comes within right ? Well with me was more like a sudden shock- all of this happened in one or two seconds. When I ''broke'' free and stood in a sitting position the shadow was gone. But here two other interesting parts - first all of it was connected - I mean when I was looking I was seeing my room - and my vision didnt broke off like from a dream - you know - open your eyes - my eyes were opened already and seeing the room while I was getting to a sitting position. And can you get what is the second thing ? - The door. It was opened. - That night I went to bed planned - I mean I didnt just fall asleep and forgot the door open or the lights on. So the door must have been shut when I have went to bed. Also I asked my mother if it could have been her - she said that she hadnt done that . And also that door doesnt open from itself - up until now - never.
So these are the major questions I have to myself :
1.Why would I wake up without any apparent reason ?
2.Why would that fear struck me only when I looked it at the face ?
3.Why was that fear without a logical reason ?
4. Where did that fear come from ?
5.Why was that door opened ?
6. Why if it was a dream my eyes didnt close from the beginning to the end ?
7. How the fuck could I see a standing shadow that is darker than the dark room ?
And also I have to add that there are two big mirrors in the corridor. I am saying this because I read that those ''shadow people'' vanish into them or corners. And if you think logically - that may be the reason why I didnt manage to see it when I stood in a sitting position and then up.

Etro
Honorary Member

#944 » Post by Etro » 31 Mar 2013 22:21

About the guy in the video: Well, i think he was spiritual enough. I mean, he reads the bible often and he said he used his "light-force" when he had those encounters to break free. He is really into those kinds of stuff. It might as well be the "-cebo" effect, he even said he knew about the "shadow people" for a while before he had the experiences.

Now, about your experience: Everything that you felt and happened to you has a biological and chemical explanation, except for that open door. So i'll answer your self-questions as much as i can:
Hero_kris wrote:1.Why would I wake up without any apparent reason ?
It is very common between people when they are about to enter the REM state of the sleep, between all mammals, actually. It could have also been an isolated case of sleep apnea. Other causes varies from caffeine, medications, a change in the air pressure of the room you're sleeping in, temperature, etc.
Hero_kris wrote:2.Why would that fear struck me only when I looked it at the face ?
3.Why was that fear without a logical reason ?
4. Where did that fear come from ?
That is when you realize of the "intruder". Before you saw its face you thought it was your mother, so your hyper-vigilant state wasn't yet in action. The fear in sleep paralysis is caused by 2 reasons, the realization of an "intruder" and the inability to move, making you feel a sensation of helplessness, which is the actual fear you feel. This helplessness can intensify the effects of the threat response well above the level typical to normal dreams; this could explain why hallucinations during sleep paralysis are so vivid.
Hero_kris wrote:5.Why was that door opened ?
I don't know. Maybe someone in your family played you a prank. Some doors don't close well and they open with the change of air pressure, that air pressure change could've also waken you up. But again, i don't know.
Hero_kris wrote:6. Why if it was a dream my eyes didnt close from the beginning to the end ?
Sleep paralysis happens in a state when you're sleeping and awakening. You were dreaming, kind of, but your eyes were open as well. That's why i said that the guy in the video didn't have a true sleep paralysis, since he should've seen nothing definable other than the room he was sleeping in.
Hero_kris wrote:7. How the fuck could I see a standing shadow that is darker than the dark room ?
That's where the amygdaloid complex comes in. Your amygdala catches the hypevigilance state and it starts the threat mechanism response. You're perceiving every external stimuli as a threat. But of course, your neocortex must know what's the reason of the fear so it can react accordingly. By instinct it will choose the most unknown, thus dangerous, aspect of what your most powerful sense is perceiving, the sight. And the most unknown aspect for the sight is obviously what it can't see, the dark. The shape is decided by initial expectation, latest memory, or latest focus. Remember that you thought it was your mother at first, thus the shape of a woman.

The reason why you didn't manage to see it once you could move was that you could move. Your hypervigilance state was over by just being able to move now, and so was over your helplessness feeling. But you are now in a vigilance state ("What did just happen?"), consciously, which is why you still feel fear after a while.

Nexxus

#945 » Post by Nexxus » 31 Mar 2013 23:22

Hero_kris wrote: WHY why would you :{ ?
Grow tired of the same things over and over again :x
Icc, brain melt...
BG's horde wins....
ToC, brain crash...
TBC radis, waste of time....
Counting "afk" players in dalaran, same results as day before....
Arena, warrior-hpally...

And so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on...... :?