'Frequent' Network Disconnects

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
Jiranthos
Admin

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#16 » Post by Jiranthos » 24 Aug 2016 18:46

Nice high-score, and no, no one should experience this in 2016.
You may try messing around with more settings, maybe change Firmware to a custom one (I use DD-WRT), although it is kinda dangerous to do. You may brick your device in the process.
Ultimately, yeah, you can get a new one, they aren't expensive. But if you are going to "throw this one out" and get a new one, why not unleash hell on it and try everything out first? :P

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Gnurg

#17 » Post by Gnurg » 24 Aug 2016 18:53

Jiranthos wrote:Nice high-score, and no, no one should experience this in 2016.
You may try messing around with more settings, maybe change Firmware to a custom one (I use DD-WRT), although it is kinda dangerous to do. You may brick your device in the process.
Ultimately, yeah, you can get a new one, they aren't expensive. But if you are going to "throw this one out" and get a new one, why not unleash hell on it and try everything out first? :P
It's from 2008 apparently, would you experience it back then?
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Jiranthos
Admin

#18 » Post by Jiranthos » 24 Aug 2016 18:56

A network device 8 years old? That's blasphemy. Please do mad experiments on it and throw it out.
New updated, great routers with new features cost like 25 Eur (230 NOK) here in Latvia, of course it's just a small home router, but it does the job.

EDIT: Actually did the research and here we can get a decent one for 11 Eur and a pretty good one for 25 Eur and a very good one for 35 Eur.
IDK about Norway's prices.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

banthem

#19 » Post by banthem » 24 Aug 2016 23:41

Well, I had a problem similar to this when we where on bloodcraft, I kept dcing and sometimes my entire net would go out. Turns out my router hated skype. I don't know if this is the issue for you Ani, but it's worth a shot uninstalling it, renewing your ip and checking.

MerelyASetback
Donor

#20 » Post by MerelyASetback » 25 Aug 2016 06:50

Buying a new router seems the solution here.

Screwing around with custom firmwares won't fix anything I think (and D-Links are tricky with it).

I'd keep your old one for emergencies or as a backup. Rather have a mostly working router than a broken one.

About the age of the router, most new routers are just rebrands with very minor changes to it. Not a lot has changed over these past few years.

Royo

#21 » Post by Royo » 04 Sep 2016 17:13

I've had it happen, but on another server. lol.

It seems kinda random from my perspective. Does it happen randomly for you too?

Gnurg

#22 » Post by Gnurg » 04 Sep 2016 17:36

Royo wrote:I've had it happen, but on another server. lol.

It seems kinda random from my perspective. Does it happen randomly for you too?
It's not only disconnects from the game, it's all network transmission. Yes, it's been randomly, so I could have a week where it works well or a day where it goes down 3 times, you never know.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE