'Frequent' Network Disconnects

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
User avatar
Gnurg
Posts: 2410
Joined: 28 Jan 2013 19:38
Location: Oslo, Norway

'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#1 » Post by Gnurg » 23 Aug 2016 20:34

* Summoning nerds of TrueWoW *
Fastor wrote:
Matsy wrote:
Almost daily and often multiple times a day I experience the network falling down, with all devices in the house losing connection to the internet. Resetting the router resolves the issue within 30 seconds ish, but it is still very annoying, at least while playing games or streaming a movie.

I have a cable from the router to my computer. The router is a D-Link with model name: DIR-855. All other devices are connected through WIFI.

I am certain that it is not the internet provider, as I use one of the more used IP in Norway and they have a good reputation afaik.

What could be the source of the problem? Router, modem or a device?
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

User avatar
Fastor
Posts: 4029
Joined: 16 Dec 2012 17:38

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#2 » Post by Fastor » 23 Aug 2016 20:40

User.

Did you placed it between some books, or under some cloth or anything that can help it accumulate high amount of heat?

User avatar
Gnurg
Posts: 2410
Joined: 28 Jan 2013 19:38
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#3 » Post by Gnurg » 23 Aug 2016 20:46

Fastor wrote:User.

Did you placed it between some books, or under some cloth or anything that can help it accumulate high amount of heat?
Nope
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

User avatar
Fastor
Posts: 4029
Joined: 16 Dec 2012 17:38

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#4 » Post by Fastor » 23 Aug 2016 20:51

There are things that l can help by using Teamviewer and entering someones PC and check whats going on. But this one l doubt, however download this https://download.teamviewer.com/downloa ... ewerQS.exe and send me codes via PM. Gonna "hack" you.

User avatar
Gnurg
Posts: 2410
Joined: 28 Jan 2013 19:38
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#5 » Post by Gnurg » 23 Aug 2016 20:56

Fastor wrote:There are things that l can help by using Teamviewer and entering someones PC and check whats going on. But this one l doubt, however download this https://download.teamviewer.com/downloa ... ewerQS.exe and send me codes via PM. Gonna "hack" you.
:|

It happens for all devices.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

User avatar
Eronox
MVP
Posts: 2329
Joined: 24 Apr 2016 11:03
Location: in ICC & Healing

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#6 » Post by Eronox » 23 Aug 2016 21:28

Try set a new width, Auto 20/40 MHz or solely 20MHz
.

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash


User avatar
Polkic
Former Staff
Posts: 1059
Joined: 21 Dec 2012 00:02
Location: Slovenia

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#7 » Post by Polkic » 23 Aug 2016 21:41

Check software version of your Router and check this version number on internet for some possible knows bugs. Even if there are non, check for updates anyway. Even if that does not help (if your router is X years of age you should get new one from your ISP anyway) call the ISP and ask for new router. This my be diferent based on your ISPs policy
Image

User avatar
Gnurg
Posts: 2410
Joined: 28 Jan 2013 19:38
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#8 » Post by Gnurg » 23 Aug 2016 23:10

Eronox wrote:Try set a new width, Auto 20/40 MHz or solely 20MHz
Already at 20 MHz.
Polkic wrote:Check software version of your Router and check this version number on internet for some possible knows bugs. Even if there are non, check for updates anyway. Even if that does not help (if your router is X years of age you should get new one from your ISP anyway) call the ISP and ask for new router. This my be diferent based on your ISPs policy
It's not the modem-router, it's the next router in the chain. ISP isn't responsible for that router. It says that it's firmware is on the latest version and I can't really find anything online. Router: D-Link DIR-855 Firmware: 1.12EU is what I got at least.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

User avatar
arnis5
Banned
Posts: 474
Joined: 10 May 2014 02:37
Location: THE DEPTHS OF HELL

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#9 » Post by arnis5 » 24 Aug 2016 01:45

Do you have an splitter for phone line and internet line? And does those disconects happen shortly after you get phone call?
Arnis - Marksmanship Hunter PVE/PVP
Predatoor - Death Knight Hybrid Tank/Blood Dps PVE
Restoration - Shaman Resto/Ele PVE
Arniscat - Druid Feral Tank/Restoration PVE
Arnisrocks - Paladin Protection/Retribution PVE
Arnislock - Warlock Demonology PVE
Stanimalo - Rogue Combat PVE
Mazdean - Priest Shadow/Holy PVE
Pecaros - Warrior Protection/Fury PVE
Arniskhanna - Mage Arcane PVE
The Demonic Lord!
If you're going through hell, keep going.

User avatar
banthem
Posts: 54
Joined: 15 Jun 2013 00:07

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#10 » Post by banthem » 24 Aug 2016 15:11

Can you check any error messages from the router?
Image

User avatar
Gnurg
Posts: 2410
Joined: 28 Jan 2013 19:38
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#11 » Post by Gnurg » 24 Aug 2016 15:24

arnis5 wrote:Do you have an splitter for phone line and internet line? And does those disconects happen shortly after you get phone call?
It's fiber, so I don't think you usually have a phone line on that? Not that we have a house telephone anyways.
banthem wrote:Can you check any error messages from the router?
I can look on the output next time it happens. It only has logs from last reboot, so the failure isn't there.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

User avatar
MerelyASetback
Donor
Posts: 110
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 23:49

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#12 » Post by MerelyASetback » 24 Aug 2016 15:43

Do you lose internet on your wired connection as well?

As I see the situation now you're using a third party router to create a wifi signal or extend it attached to your isp's router?

Have you disabled dhcp on your third party router?

Is it just the third party router that crashes or the main one?

Also check when it happens (during heavy load whilst downloading or whatever).

If it's just the third party router failing and dhcp is disabled on it, it might not be able to handle the traffic at times. Try replacing it.
If it's the one of your isp that's crashing, just contact them, it's quite common for their routers to die even if it's a renowned isp.


All other responses in this thread are quite farfetched and won't solve your issue at all...

User avatar
Cocopuffs
Donor
Posts: 385
Joined: 14 Dec 2013 20:22
Location: Shadows of the Night

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#13 » Post by Cocopuffs » 24 Aug 2016 16:48

stop logging in, problem solved no more crashes

User avatar
Gnurg
Posts: 2410
Joined: 28 Jan 2013 19:38
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#14 » Post by Gnurg » 24 Aug 2016 17:50

MerelyASetback wrote:Do you lose internet on your wired connection as well?

As I see the situation now you're using a third party router to create a wifi signal or extend it attached to your isp's router?

Have you disabled dhcp on your third party router?

Is it just the third party router that crashes or the main one?

Also check when it happens (during heavy load whilst downloading or whatever).

If it's just the third party router failing and dhcp is disabled on it, it might not be able to handle the traffic at times. Try replacing it.
If it's the one of your isp that's crashing, just contact them, it's quite common for their routers to die even if it's a renowned isp.


All other responses in this thread are quite farfetched and won't solve your issue at all...
Yes, I am using a third party router to extend the signal. The crashes are just random, not often, but they can be annoying.

No idea if the problem is the ISP router or the 3rd party one, but as rebooting the 3rd party one solves the problem it's safe to assume that it is the problem?

I disabled DHCP SERVER, but that only made me unable to get an IP.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

User avatar
Gnurg
Posts: 2410
Joined: 28 Jan 2013 19:38
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: 'Frequent' Network Disconnects

#15 » Post by Gnurg » 24 Aug 2016 18:42

It just fell down and I was actually unable to even connect to the router through 192.168.0.1 without rebooting it, so nothing useful can be seen in the log. I am convinced the problem is the router.

Would buying a new one help or is this something everyone experiences?

Image
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest